Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Club  (Read 17444 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
DC Universe Classics Club
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Looks like DCUC will join the MattyCollector Club Madness.  Should be interesting to see what they pick for the club... I'd imagine it will be pretty pbscure stuff if it's going club/online and not retail.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Classics Club
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:56 PM »
I was just reading through some of the info about DC stuff at AFI, and I guess Wave 20 will be the last retail wave of DCU Classics.  They mention with the DCU reboot that they thought it was a good time to "kickstart", and that there will still be 6" figures that will fit in with your existing collection.  Not sure what that means, unless they are just starting a new DCUC-type line, but maybe with the newer DCnU "looks" or something.  Anyways, here's the lineup for Wave 20, then it is Matty from now on:

Green Arrow
Reverse Flash
Hawk
Dove
Red Arrow
Nekron CnC

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Yeah, after wave 20 it's mattycollector only.  Club DC universe memberships are available now, until Aug 5th I believe.

One thing I am unclear on - it says that the club will go forward only if they have enough memberships.  I'm not sure if that means only the club is dependent on memberships, or if them continuing to make DC figures available on MattyCollector is dependent on them getting enough memberships.  They've got a progress bar on the DC club, and either it's not working at the moment, or they have almost no memberships.  I would really hate to see the line die, so hopefully they either don't need the memberships or that progress bar is just not working.

The matty site has a survey for the first DC club "extra size" figure.  The options are Shaggy Man, Metron with Mobeius chair, Rocket Red and Blackest Night Swamp Thing.  Rocket Red gets my vote all the way.  It would be nice to round out the JLI characters.  The one I would want the least is the Swamp thing - but I have a bad feeling he would win.  I'm excited to try and get a Swamp Thing from SDCC.  He looks awesome and is a figure I've wanted for a long time.  But to get a black repaint of him?  When he's a character that to my knowledge is only a few months old, and has only been in a handful of comics?  No thanks.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:24 PM »
From everything I've read, it sounds as if the line is dead if they don't get enough memberships, which sucks, since I don't think a lot of people are clear on that. I've seen a lot of posts on various boards saying they'll just cherry pick and nevermind the sub.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 10:36 PM »
From everything I've read, it sounds as if the line is dead if they don't get enough memberships, which sucks, since I don't think a lot of people are clear on that. I've seen a lot of posts on various boards saying they'll just cherry pick and nevermind the sub.

Can you blame people?  The sub plus $15/figure is ridiculous pricing.  $15 to sell direct should be enough profit for them.  If they want to know how many to make, then run pre-orders for everything like SSC does.  This is just poorly run IMO.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:05 PM »
I couldnt bring myself to do the subscription even though i do it for MOTU. Over the last 4 waves of figures, i picked up only 1-2 per wave. Its a combo of character selection and the price. If the exclusives was announced at Metron of the Black Lantern Swamp Thing i would have been more inclined but i will just try ebay if either of them win.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm unlikely to go for the sub either.  I'm sure the figures will be well done, but I've also gotten to really cherry picking this line anymore - and expect that to continue.  I may have been out of the loop, but I thought this whole "Wave 20 is the last retail wave" came out of nowhere at SDCC.  One of the biggest stories to me, and I was surprised to see it ending.

I guess, overall, it has really been a nice run if it does wrap up (or continues on Matty Collector).  I think I've gotten the majority of what I wanted from this line, and what I can think of that was still on my wishlist (Huntress, more Bat villains) could come down the pike later on I guess.  From the sounds of things, some other sort of 6" DC line is coming up - and I'm guessing it will be "rebooted" to some extent as well and probably offer new versions of the characters in the new DCU (like the Justice League with the collars, other costume updates).  All in all, a pretty good run for DCUC - whether it ends now or continues online.  Although I'm familiar with most of the characters now, I didn't necessarily grow up with DC outside of Batman - so they have covered a lot of the stuff I was hoping to see in the line (and then some).  It may have absolutely nothing to do with it, but I wonder how the line is doing at retail?  They have gotten more and more obscure with recent waves, so that could have been the test.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 12:39 PM »
I decided to go for the sub.  Based on that progress bar not actually moving, I have a feeling it will be cancelled.  But if it goes ahead I'm in for the first year at least.  If they won't be at retail any more, then 12 figs a year is actually scaled back from what they've been doing as it's been at least 3 waves a year (and some of those waves were 7 figs).

I do have most of the characters I want, but at the same time I love the DC universe and it's cool to see some of the more obscure ones.  Back in the day I had collected "Who's Who", and spent many hours going over those and reading all the bio's of characters I didn't know.  So I'm guessing I'll be somewhat familar with almost anything they throw at me.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:32 PM »
I hear about this progress bar but dont see it anywhere on the site. I am still passing on the subscription though. Of the 3 figures they should for the year i just want 1, cant be a good sign for me.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: August 2, 2011, 02:27 PM »
In an effort to get more subs sold, Mattel revealed that Poison Ivy will be one of the subscription figures...  nice mix they have going - GL, Batman, and JSA.  Hitting a little bit of DC's best sellers it looks like.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 2, 2011, 03:46 PM »
I guess the progress bar is actually working, as it is now showing around 25-30%.  Not good for those of us who would like to see these figs, as there are only a few days left.  The link in the Poison Ivy posting confirms that the line is done at wave 20 unless they get enough for the sub.
I'm happy with what I have already, but I would really like to see it continue for at least another year.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 2, 2011, 05:31 PM »
You know what, so far all 4 figures shown / confirmed I want and I still haven't bitten on the subscription yet.  I should really do it because out of 20 waves, the only one I haven't bought in full is 17 (the deputy lantern wave).  However, it's **** like that wave that's scaring me into not getting the subscription.  Black Lantern Swamp Thing as one of the choices for the bonus figue isn't exactly filling my with confidence either.  You just know Mattel wants to get the most out of their Swamp Thing.

If they just let us know that more Metal Men, Doom Patrol, Rogues and Bat villians are definites, I'd bite on the subscription in a heartbeat.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: August 2, 2011, 07:53 PM »
I am guessing Metron will win and i want him, but of the 4 figures announed i only really want 1. I cant bring mysel to do the subscription with those odds. If they sell them monthly i will try to get the ones i want.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 2, 2011, 09:02 PM »
In an effort to get more subs sold, Mattel revealed that Poison Ivy will be one of the subscription figures...  nice mix they have going - GL, Batman, and JSA.  Hitting a little bit of DC's best sellers it looks like.

Poison Ivy is one of the remaining characters I'd most like to see, but I've held off on the sub as well.  I've had the MOTUC sub for the past couple years, and although I love the figures and don't miss the hassle of ordering, there are a fair amount that I don't necessarily want/need.  Aside from more villains/etc. from the Bat-universe (and Larfleeze, Huntress), I think I'm pretty happy with my DC lineup at this point.  Not that I wouldn't take other characters as well, but I'm ok this way too.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 2, 2011, 09:31 PM »
I think the biggest difference with the DC and MOTU sub is that the MOTU figures were first offered monthly.  They added the sub later, and the figures are still available monthly to pick and choose the ones you want.

For whatever reason, will not even be offering the DC figures unless they get their minimum for subscriptions.  I would like to think they would do it as long as they were close.  But to be at 25-30% with only a few days left, it doesn't look like that will happen.

I guess I understand why they are doing that.  But at the same time, I would think they should understand that people don't want to be stuck with crap that they don't want.