Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Club  (Read 17448 times)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Classics Club
« Reply #15 on: August 2, 2011, 10:29 PM »
I think that is exactly why they're doing it the way they are  In contrast to MOTU and Ghostbusters who seem to sell well overall to thier customer base, there's a lot more divide among DC fans. Some will take everything, some absolutely refuse anything modern (Atrocitous), some are only interested in the Bat guys, some are Golden and Silver age only etc. it makes it difficult to judge the numbers, as they have experienced with their 2 packs a while back not moving as well as they'd like. They also need to meet a certain number to keep the cost at the current 15$. That said, i'm thinking i'll subscribe at the last minute cuz why not. I've bought plenty of figures I didn't want to complete build a figs and a good number of them have grown on me after a while. The sculpts are always nice at the very least.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: August 8, 2011, 02:53 PM »
But to be at 25-30% with only a few days left, it doesn't look like that will happen.

I saw that they were only at 30% as of last weeknd, so they decided to extend the sub offer until Sunday August 14th at 11:59 p.m. PT.  If they couldn't sell out with the hype of the con, I doubt they get to that 100% number in one more week.

I wonder if they will be willing to reveal the 8 'regular' figures they are planning in order to get it done...  or maybe reveal a few of the "big" characters they are planning?  Either way, they won't get to 100% wthout revealing more I think.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 08:56 AM »
I'm assuming the sub has been cancelled  :'(.  Has anyone seen confirmation of that?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Mattel has said they are "re-evaluating" what to do next... I don't think they've killed it officially yet.

There is some hope at Mattycollector that they can rework the numbers to get the club to work - basically the folks looking to buy single figures would have to eat the extra cost they need to make up for not hitting the subscription number they were looking to hit.  What would cost club members $15 or $30 would end up costing the day-of-sale folks who didn't buy the subscription $18-20 each or $36-40 each.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:01 PM by Jeff »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 11:38 AM »
As much as i was against it, i ordered a sub. My logic, if it does go through i would be able to sell off what i dont want. At least i hope.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 11:46 AM »
As much as I have enjoyed this line, I'm sort of ok with it wrapping up.  Not that there aren't more characters that I want, but I have to admit that I've been less excited about the more recent waves for the most part.  Some of the characters I'd like to see (Larfleeze), I wouldn't necessarily consider "classics", so I could see them fitting in with a newer edition line if that is something Mattel pursues.  Outside of that, Bat-related characters are mostly what I'm looking for at this point anyways (Huntress, Poison Ivy, etc.)  They covered a lot of my "want lists" in the previous 20 waves.  The sub is a nice thing, but as someone who has been a member of the Masters of the Universe club since the beginning (although not next year), I've started to get more and more figures/characters that I don't really feel the need to own.  I could see the same thing here.  Although I'm probably familiar with most everything, I don't have that "vintage love" for DC like Marvel, growing up more of a Marvel kid, so some of the more obscure or older stuff doesn't hit me the way it would others.  I expect to see the line continue in some way though, maybe like Jeff was mentioning.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 2, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Club is a go!

Hi DC Universe Club Infinite Earths fans!

We have some good news…the 2012 DC Universe Club Infinite Earths subscription program is moving forward! As you know, we did not hit the number of subscribers we were seeking for the club, but we know that there are some very passionate DC Universe fans, so we found a way to make the program work.

Current subscribers will get 6″ and oversized figures according to the schedule that was originally communicated at San Diego Comic Con and online. All figures that have been revealed will be part of the subscription program.

In order to make the program work, we needed to raise prices for day-of sales. So if you are NOT a subscriber, you will be paying more for the figures on the day of the sale. The good news for subscribers is that you are locked in at the subscription rates previously advertised.

And the even better news is that we are exploring re-opening the subscription program for a limited window of time. We’ve heard fans online posting that they wish that they had subscribed, so now you’ll get that chance. Be on the lookout for more details and dates next week.

We still have more good news, we are excited to reveal the winning club exclusive figure…Metron! So all of the subscribers will get their very own Metron, along with his Mobius Chair!

All of this good news will hopefully mean a fabulous start to the weekend for all of the DC Universe fans!

-FanGirl 2.0 

I actually signed up for the club after debating for awhile.  Definitely want the first four figures revealed - Jay, Atrocitus, Starman, Poison Ivy - and hope Mattel delivers what they've promised - classic characters and finishing up teams.  I don't want this sub to become a dumping place for Batman and Superman variants.  It's sounding like that's what the new retail line is for.  Hoping they blow us away with thier character choices.

While I didn't vote for Metron, I'll take him.  Hoping Rocket Red is coming (the one I did vote for)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 2, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Good to hear that the club is a go, and DCUC can continue in some way.  I didn't subscribe to this or MOTUC this year, simply because I have to cut back in some areas of collecting and I don't necessarily need all of these figures.  That being said, there are some that I'm interested in (Poison Ivy and Atrocitus so far) that I hope I'm able to get (depending on how much higher the prices are).  Any news on a DC retail line beyond Wave 20?  They made it sound like there would be something, but that it would be different than "Classics".  I'm thinking something maybe with the relaunched outfits, and maybe a little more big gun heavy like the old DC Superheroes line (prior to Mattel getting the whole DCU license).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: September 2, 2011, 10:19 PM »
Any news on a DC retail line beyond Wave 20?  They made it sound like there would be something, but that it would be different than "Classics".  I'm thinking something maybe with the relaunched outfits, and maybe a little more big gun heavy like the old DC Superheroes line (prior to Mattel getting the whole DCU license).

Pretty much nailed it - more focused on "stuff that is attractive at retail".  Here are some Mattel quotes from recent Q&A on the yet-to-be-revealed 2012 DC retail line:

"Although DC Universe Classics is ending, DC Universe 6” figures are not. Fans can still expect to see 6” DC Universe figures at retail in 2012."

"For the DC Universe product at retail in 2012, it’s less about specifically appealing to moms and kids, and more about putting product on retail shelves that is most appealing to retail consumers."

"Instead of appearing in waves, figures will simply be in mixes.  This means that you’ll see a few figures on shelf at a time, but not an entire wave of figures, united by a theme or a collect-and-connect figure."

In other words, expect a LOT of Batmans with a few Superman, Robin, and who ever else has a movie coming up.  I'm sure they will get the "New 52" looks in there as well.  But definitely less focus on teams like JSA, Metal Men, etc.  And definitely less focus on one-off collector characters.  Most signs point to them unveiling some things at NYCC next month...

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 2, 2011, 11:29 PM »
I'm glad to see it's continuing as I really have enjoyed the line, obscure characters I know nothing about and all. I'm also glad too see they're thinking about re opening the sub sign up. I passed originally because it didn't look like it was gonna happen and didn't want my 30$ tied up for nothing, but if it's a go, why not. I'm interested in 3 of the 4 announced figures so far, with the exception of Starman, and even he is pretty neat looking so I'll take him.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #25 on: January 7, 2012, 12:38 PM »
The subscription is closed now, but I'm only interested in Poison Ivy. Do they allow you to buy more than one of each figure, or is it one per sub?

If it's open, can anyone hook me up with a Poison Ivy? Pleeeeeease?  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 8, 2012, 08:39 PM »
If you're not a subscriber, you can buy single figures on the day of sale.  You'll have to pay slightly more and deal with Mattycollector's **** website, though.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #27 on: January 9, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Cool, thanks. Hopefully she'll be worth it.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 03:23 PM »
New figures shown:
Poison Ivy, green skinned
Black Mask
Rocket Red
Mirror Master (finally more ******* Rogues)
Platinum w/ Tin

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Figures look very nice.  I didn't opt for the subscription (dropped the MOTU one this year too, just can't afford to keep up with everything and don't necessarily want it all either).  I'm really hoping I'm able to get some of the figures though.  I'm always up for Batman rogues (Poison Ivy, Black Mask), and like to get the Flash's guys as well (Mirror Master) so hopefully I'm able to pick them up.