Author Topic: Target Vintage Collection Luke's TaunTaun  (Read 23175 times)

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Target Vintage Collection Luke's TaunTaun
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Just wanted to verify.  Neither Tauntaun will have an open belly right?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Solution. Buy both sets. Swap Han's Taun-Taun for Luke's, and return "Luke's Taun Taun" to the store. Parents/kids won't notice a cracked tusk, and collectors who get the wrong beast will merely return it  to the store.

Okay, that's wrong... ;) But it really wouldn't surprise me if this hasn't happened already.

Or you can really make someone's day and put a vintage TaunTaun in the packaging.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 09:28 PM »
Or Jabba Glob.

It really isn't that serious guys. Buy the damn thing or don't, to suggest swapping is insanity.

I thought it was clear that I was kidding (stealing/fraud is a crime). Most collectors will grin and bear (buy) it, or wait it out (sale) or customize an extra Han-Taun.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 09:38 PM »

Correct.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline bellboy

• Youngling
  • So be it, "Jedi"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 09:42 PM »
My bad. I thought you were serious. You know how powerful suggestion is, especially in this economy. Somebody may take what you said seriously and do just that, if they haven't done it already. I feel you guys on the price for this thing, but we sometimes suffer for our art. Art of collecting that is.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2011, 09:43 PM »

Correct.

Well....There is an open belly. You just have to pry it open. Can't put a figure in it though.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2011, 10:39 PM »
The guts from 2003 work though...

Obviously you don't need to open the belly for Luke's tauntaun.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:40 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline AJ98

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2011, 10:52 AM »
I know I have been criticizing the prices on these new vintage sets but its really not a big deal. I personally feel they aren't worth that value for many reasons other than financially. An item like this is I think would really only appeal to certain types of collectors. I'm not one of them. There doesn't seem to be any great action value to this Taun-Taun. And it's open belly to doesn't count in my opinion. No action figures or accessories (other than the open belly and saddle) are included. This seems to be just a good display piece whether its in a case or in a diorama set. The Taun-Taun itself looks great and is very detailed, but it doesn't really offer kids or collectors anything more than that. If it were more reasonably priced I would however consider getting it.

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Is Hasbro afraid to put a split-open belly from animal activists?  That's kind of what this looks like to me. We'll put an open-belly out there.  We won't advertise it that way.  We'll make it look like you can open the belly but never get sued for it. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2011, 04:14 PM »
I feel everyone's pain on the price, but it's all Target on this one.  I think Jayson's maybe, at least in part, right on a future price-reduction/sale.

Likewise it could be simply a mistake taht could either work in our favor, or against us, and stuff could either get jacked up in price or down.

I am probably going to cave if I see these...  I'll surely get the Search for Luke, but the individual I'll just decide if I see it.

The Landspeeder I'm a LITTLE more inclined to buy, but not really sure either.  The Taun-Taun just stings like hell.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2011, 01:04 AM »
So, I DIDN'T see this set today at Target.  But I did see the shelf tag.  So, both this tauntaun AND the landspeeder both have the same DCPI number, and as a result of that both are priced at $24.99.  When I saw that things started to click on the price front.

Personally, I think both should be priced at $19.99.  But then there's the whole shelfspace / box size issue.  Plus, they're exclusives.  That may explain Target's methodology here.  But then I remember just how much the SAGA Landspeeder cost and it wasn't even $19.99.  And at $24.99 I passed on the new TVC landspeeder.  I probably WILL buy this new Luke Skywalker tauntaun because of the new sculpt.  But I'm much more concious of how it is a bit overpriced.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2011, 09:21 AM »
So, I DIDN'T see this set today at Target.  But I did see the shelf tag.  So, both this tauntaun AND the landspeeder both have the same DCPI number, and as a result of that both are priced at $24.99.  When I saw that things started to click on the price front.

Personally, I think both should be priced at $19.99.  But then there's the whole shelfspace / box size issue.  Plus, they're exclusives.  That may explain Target's methodology here.  But then I remember just how much the SAGA Landspeeder cost and it wasn't even $19.99.  And at $24.99 I passed on the new TVC landspeeder.  I probably WILL buy this new Luke Skywalker tauntaun because of the new sculpt.  But I'm much more concious of how it is a bit overpriced.

Couldn't agree more on this "sucker" price. Personally, I think we'll see a $19.99 sale before a spate of clearances.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Saw and nabbed both.  Have receipts.  Will hold them as long as I can, and if I see a sale I'll rebuy and return.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 1, 2011, 11:48 PM »
Also, I heard that folks on Rebelscum are openly admitting that they plan on buying the new Tauntaun and returning the box with the old POTF2 Tauntaun in the box, so I feel much better getting this fresh-from-the-shipping case since swapping DOES occur in my area.

I picked one of these up on Sunday... it didn't look tampered with, but when I opened it I found a Taun Taun with two full horns.  Looks to me like someone bought two of the new battle packs and swapped Taun Taun's so they could have the extra figures.  Am I right about this?  I assume the item in the packaging should match the item on the box art and all...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 2, 2011, 12:22 AM »
I picked one of these up on Sunday... it didn't look tampered with, but when I opened it I found a Taun Taun with two full horns.  Looks to me like someone bought two of the new battle packs and swapped Taun Taun's so they could have the extra figures.  Am I right about this?  I assume the item in the packaging should match the item on the box art and all...

I suppose it is POSSIBLE that it's a factory error and the wrong Taun Taun got packaged in your Vintage box version, but more likely, yeah, someone got two of the Battlepacks, opened them both up fully, got the Vintage Taun Taun and then carefully replaced the broken tusk one with one of the full tusk ones from the Search for Luke BP.

I can confirm that the Vintage one should have a broken tusk and match the picture on the packaging.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!