Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2011  (Read 7371 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Offseason 2011
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Vikings got a good TE in Rudolph

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 12:31 AM »
People are already running with arms flailing about in the streets because the Steelers didn't take a corner in the first two rounds...  which part of me wants to run around doing the same thing, but they did pick up some o-line help and a DE which can't hurt them either.

Corners though...  I'm thinking they'll look FA at this point plus resign Ike Taylor for probably a lot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Yeah, the Packers could have used some CB help as well with Woodson getting injured/older.  I am happy to see them improve the OL though.  I don't know much about Alex Green, but nice to see them fiiiiinally address the hole at RB as well.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 1, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Bucs got Da'Quan Bowers in the second round.  Last year there was talk of this guy being top-5, even #1 overall.  They think his knee is okay... not okay enough to take him at 20, but plenty okay to take in the second half of the second round.

If he ends up being okay, I'm loving their draft and they'll have two 1sts and two 2nds invested in the d-line now.  

I'm also beyond thrilled that Cam Newton ended up going to a division rival.  I don't have high hopes for the kid and think that he may set them back 3 to 5 years.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2011, 10:04 AM by Rob »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32 AM »
Player vote today...end to the lockout imminent?

I was really hoping they would just wipe out the whole season. It would be so refreshing to have a year without having to endure the Redskins sucking so badly, even if it meant no football at all.

Yep, it's that bad around here.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 11:05 AM »
I am admittedly back in.

I was hoping for a 12 month "cleanse" that would have probably kept me from going back.  But we have missed nothing of consequence yet.  I have my own opinions on who sux in this whole thing, but it really doesn't matter.

About the only $ or support I am going to throw at this is watching it on TV.

With both sides thinking they got screwed it must be a good deal for everybody but us the fans.  Ticket, Parking, Food, Merchandise and Autographs won't go down in price so we know who is taking it up the back side and it is not the Owners or Players.

I would have prefered 2 more regular season games instead of the Pre-season games but oh well.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 11:08 AM »
It will be nice for the NFL to get back on track.  I'm with you Paul - its really the fans that lose out from a cost perspective, but hard to argue with the prices of things if people are willing to pay it.   As much as I dislike the whole greedy mess of the lockout, Football is about the only sport I really enjoy watching, so I am happy that the regular season won't miss a beat.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 01:00 PM »
The only plus with the lock-out for me was I was supposed to spend the next year in Afghanistan so I wouldn't lose sleep staying up all night to watch the games.

Since it looks like I'm not leaving now it will be nice to have Sundays in front of the big screen at home.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 08:44 PM »
I've got one year of my kid doing JV and Varsity ball all year, and then a year of him doing Varsity...  He's beating out a senior this year for starting D, and I'm going to be footballed out considering I'll have games Friday, maybe Saturday or Monday, and Sunday (or Thursday, or Monday) too.  I could've probably done without an NFL this year too, but I'll be there watching regardless of how dead to the world I am on Sundays now, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 10:14 PM »
What position does he play Jesse?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 11:07 PM »
Corner on D, and he's getting time at receiver too and he's outperforming a senior at that too so he may get both...  I'm a much bigger fan of defense though, and it's what I coached, so I really want to see him out there laying kids out.  He's a monster hitter.

Last year was his first JV year, and the local juvie school is in his division, and at the JV game against that school they were beating up on our kids pretty good...  We'd won the varsity game Friday, and their JV team were just pummeling ours.

Anyway, their JV QB was bigger than me, and this kid breaks out right on a keeper, and he completely beats the DE and outside LB on my gf's kid's side at corner.

So the QB has a receiver out trying to block him, and my kid just nails him puts him on his ass.  He stepped up on the QB then who is now out to where he had beat the blocker, and the QB leaps because my kid breaks down a little early sometimes for his tackles.  But this time he breaks out of his tackle really quickly, wraps their QB at the back of his thighs just above his knees, and dumps him right over his shoulder head first into the grass.

Their QB, to his credit, got right up and he didn't lose control of the ball at all...  People were just cringing on both sides of the field.

My kid got mother f'd by some of their line for doing that to their QB, but I guess the QB congratulated him.  He's always been a monster on defense even though he's not always had the size people expect for big hits.  His technique is flawless though, and I got him to hit the weight room religiously so even though he's not a huge kid, he's solid muscle and can make every hit just pure punishment. 

They're pushing him to gain 20 lbs. so they can move him up to one of the linebacker spots because they lost a lot of seniors there from last year, and the kids filling it this year aren't anywhere near the quality they lost.  Their tackling is so-so at best.

There's a lot of good QB's and receivers they'll face this year though, kids they know are coming up in other districts they play that have already gained experience at the varsity level, so they're really trying to beef up against the pass because it was their achilles heel last year.

I've got two years of this left basically.  My gf's youngest won't play anymore, he's just not into it and I'm not forcing him.  So I've got two years left to enjoy. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:13 PM by Jesse James »