Author Topic: NHL Off-Season 2011  (Read 10506 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL Off-Season 2011
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 01:05 PM »
All the local NHL talking heads here seem to be convinced that Winnipeg will reveal their name tonight at the draft...

...and an hour and a half later and it's all "Welcome Back, Jets" all over the interwebz.

Sort of surprised they stuck with Jets, but at the same time, not that surprised.  I'm still expecting an updated logo and sweater so you have a reason to buy something new.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:45 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 11:09 PM »
Ooh, a trade!  I'll miss Burns (mostly), but we've got a backlog of good young Defencemen (Scandella, Prosser, Cuma) so I won't miss him for long hopefully.  I like Setoguchi (a goal scorer - on this team?!? :o) and Coyle sounds like he has good potential too.  A nice deal for the Wild once you toss in the #28 (Zack Phillips).  :)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Setoguchi is a great pickup for the Wild, and the Sharks will miss him (hopefully not too much). However, Burns is a much-needed asset for the Sharks. Good trade for both teams.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 02:39 PM »
Our ticket draft is tonight, so I'll get to report what games I am going to later on. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Well that turned into a fun night.  First part was our draft, second part a whole bunch of people I used to work with 20 years ago showed up and we stayed around drinking until they tossed us out.  My head hurts.   :D

Oh yeah, long post, so if you're not a hockey nut, move along. 

Our group got together, discussed rules, how we'll handle playoff games, payment and all that fun stuff.  Then we drafted.  Draft order was set first and there were nine names in the hat for seven guys.  Each person had a name for each share they'd bought (share = 5 games) so I had my name in twice, as did another guy.  I had my name pulled 2nd and 8th, so pretty nice places for a snake draft really.  The only problem though is that I really wanted the home opener and so did everyone else.  I had an agreement with the other guy that had two shares that we'd take each other to the home opener but he didn't get his name pulled either.   :-[

The guy who did get his name drawn first did an amazing thing though.  After the draft order was determined, we started drafting.  First game to go - home opener with the Habs, so no surprise.  Then it's my turn to pick.  I can't really take the other Montreal game because we're planning on being in Hawaii during the time they visit again, so I'm kind of bummed.  But the guy that picked first says to me that he'll trade me his Montreal game if I take the other Montreal game  :o  He knew I really wanted to go and gave up the first regular season game of the new era so I could go!  Holy crap!  Needless to say, I'm pretty stinkin' pleased. 

The first round of drafting went like this, in order:
1. Montreal October 9
2. Montreal December 22
3. Boston February 17
4. Toronto February 7
5. Boston December 6
6. Pittsburgh December 23
7. Pittsburgh October 17
8. Toronto December 31
9. Tampa Bay April 7

So I got Montreal, Toronto in the first round.  I was really hoping to get a Pens game with my second pick, but both went bang-bang right before my second pick of the first round :o  I hate Toronto with a passion but I figured that it was another marquee game and maybe I could trade it, but so far no luck. 

I have ten games in my package and I agreed to take the guy I had the pact with to the home opener, as we had discussed prior.  In return he's taking me to the Bruins game he drafted first.  So I'm attending 11 games in total and here's my list:
1. September 20: Columbus Blue Jackets - preseason home opener
2. October 9: Montreal Canadiens - regular season home opener
3. November 29: Ottawa Senators - my second last pick
4. December 1: Phoenix Coyotes  >:D
5. December 31: Toronto Maple Leafs
6. January 12: San Jose Sharks
7. February 14: New York Islanders - taking the wife to this game ;)
8. February 17: Boston Bruins
9. March 1: Florida Panthers - my last pick, it was this game or the Nashville preseason game
10. March 16: Washington Capitals - will take my daughter to this game
11. March 18: Carolina Hurricanes - my third last pick and for that late I was pretty happy

So all things considered I'd say I did pretty well.  I had ranked all my games in order of wanting to attend and I managed to get six out of my top nine choices so not bad at all.  No duplicate teams either.  Plus I get both the preseason and regular season home openers, three original six teams, a very good team in the Sharks, plus Ovechkin with the Caps. 

Sadly we don't see Vancouver, Chicago or Detroit this year and with realignment we may not see the Wings much at all if they move to a different conference.  I purposely tried to stay away from teams in the West (San Jose and Phoenix being the exceptions) and did pretty well. 

Wanted the Phoenix game for historical reasons.  Bryzgalov won't be there to make fun of, but given Hulsizer has walked away from the Coyotes as of today, it may be the only time to actually see the Phoenix franchise as they may be in another city by next season. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Congrats on getting the home opener, that roof is going to blow off that place.  And the Bruins game should be cool too.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 10:11 PM »
A pair of P1 level tickets are on Stubhub for the opening game against Montreal.  $6500. 

That has to have been a season ticket holder or corporate purchaser selling those because they were sold out before the general public sale began. 

The next most expensive games are the other Montreal game in December, the December 31st Toronto game and the first Penguins game in October (second regular season game). 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 03:28 PM »
A pair of P1 level tickets are on Stubhub for the opening game against Montreal.  $6500. 

Pair of P1s, were what? $12k?  So they're sacrificing the opener and basically getting 50% off their tickets for the rest of the season.  P1 seats for a P4 price! :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Yup.  And it may be the same guy selling off both Montreal games plus the Toronto games, so he's nearly covering his seats with four games. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: July 1, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Cool, Jagr's back in Pennsylvania!  I'm sure all the Penguins fans are going nuts...  but maybe not for the reason they were going nuts a few days ago. :-X

Can't wait until JJ gets back and offers up his opinion...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: July 2, 2011, 10:57 PM »
Basically I think it's typical Jagr...  He professed it wasn't about the money, but it certainly seemed like it ultimately.  I still like him.  He gave me some of my favorite memories as a kid of games.  I just don't look at Jagr as a very "good person" for lack of a better way of putting it.

I'm not overly broken-hearted.  I don't think he's the player he used to be, but he's still good and I think he would've fit well here with good centers.  Supposedly a lot of it has to do with him wanting to play more, and with Philly's moves, he'll get his wish I guess.  The Penguins won't be dramatically hurt without him though. 

I was more happy to see the Pens give Guerrin a job within the organization, honestly.  He, actually, wanted to just be here.  And Kennedy, Dupuis, and Asham getting deals inked was far more important too...  Looking forward and not back, all that stuff.  I would've definitely liked to have seen him end his career here though, if he could've been had for a decent price/deal.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: July 3, 2011, 11:59 PM »
Heatley?  :o

Sheesh.  I know he's sort of seen as "damaged goods" after everything he's been through, but for what we gave up (Martin "Ouch that hurts" Havlat), I'll take this trade, no problem.  And I have no problem with Heatley's "no good in the playoff" tag - we'd have to actually get to the playoffs for that to matter.  :-X

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 4, 2011, 12:03 AM »
Yeah, I'd be happy with the swap too, unless Heatley turns into a princess once he arrives in MN. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 4, 2011, 11:48 PM »
Whoo-hoo-hoo!

I'll know my seats for the next four seasons of NHL hockey in just under a week.  My selection date for seats is next Monday afternoon.  You can see the seating PDF here.  Preferred sections for us are 207, 204, 109.  Not exactly sure where the seats we'll get will be, but hoping for the best.   

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 6, 2011, 01:53 PM »
I'm okay with the Heatley trade. I liked Heatley, and his two years here were exactly what we expected from him. There was absolutely no evidence of any of the past ego, and his production was great. However, with the loss of Setoguchi, I think a straight-up trade of Forwards was necessary purely from a speed perspective. Havlat is much faster than Heatley. Other than that, the stats are very comparable.