Author Topic: NFL 2011-2012  (Read 47526 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2011-2012
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Rust.  I get that you want to avoid injuries, but I think that recent years have shown that teams that take more than one week off come playoff time lose their rhythm.  When I'm a head coach in the NFL (and Raheem Morris gave me hope that I might be qualified to be one), and my team earns a playoff bye, everyone plays until the end of week 17.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2012, 09:47 AM »
I totally agree. Giving Rodgers two weeks off was a bad idea.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2012, 09:52 AM »

Maybe, but some of his passes should have been caught, so it wasn't all on him.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14 AM »

It wasn't all on him for sure, but I still think he didn't look like the same "best season of all time for a quarterback" QB he was in the regular season. If you look back you'll see I was saying they should play starters into the 3rd quarter in all games and so to sit him week 17 was dumb in my opinion.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2012, 10:24 AM »
As a Giants fan, I feel a little sheepish for not having followed the team more in the regular season.  But having been on a night schedule I really haven't been able to watch the team much this season.  The one thing I felt really positive about is the Giants loss to the Packers a few weeks ago.  It wasn't a blowout, and the Giants kept it somewhat close.  And the old axiom of the NFL held true:  it's always tough to beat the same team twice in a season.  The Giants got hot at the right time and it's still going.

As for the Giants against San Francisco?  I still shudder to think of that playoff game from 2003 with the fake field goal that ended that game.  And that was the beginning of my hate/hate affair with Terrell Owens.  But that was a different team with a different coach, and the 49ers are totally different now, too.  That won't make next week any less tense.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2012, 11:17 AM »
It's going to be a great game.  I have hope for the Giants since their regular season match up could have gone either way, and the Giants are playing much better now.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2012, 01:24 PM »

Rusty receivers too - it was arguably more apparent with them.  Green Bay's WR's and TE's don't drop the passes they were dropping yesterday.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Looked like the NYG's played a pretty decent game too... just sayin'.   :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Sure, but I think it's fair to say, and clear to observe that their job was made easier by a Packer's offense that was missing easy throws.  The Packers have given up points all year, but they also scored a ton.  Until now.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Having to live and work with Packer fans and having this huge rivalry makes you pay a little more attention than the average fan does...I have watched 7-8 games of theirs this year and I have said since week #1 against the Saints, their Defense is terrible and that there is NO way they can repeat unless they get better.  I don't blame anything on their offense (Other than the poruous O Line), their D was awful again...and they lost

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2012, 03:54 PM »
The Packer offensive line did a decent job at holding back the Giants yesterday...for a while.  The Giants played a great game and minimized mistakes.  They are playing great football right now, but so are the 49'ers.  It's going to be a great game!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Having to live and work with Packer fans and having this huge rivalry makes you pay a little more attention than the average fan does...I have watched 7-8 games of theirs this year and I have said since week #1 against the Saints, their Defense is terrible and that there is NO way they can repeat unless they get better.  I don't blame anything on their offense (Other than the poruous O Line), their D was awful again...and they lost

Don't disagree there.  Losing Nick Barnett turned out to be a bigger deal than they expected.  I'm sure they're going to go heavy on defense in the draft.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2012, 11:59 PM »
Well, as the resident JD Packer fan, I'm only just now able to talk about the game.  I thought the whole team came out flat.  Rogers wasn't himself with a lot of throws off the mark.  His WR's had some easy drops as well, but the offense just wasn't clicking.  I thought the Giants did a great job of pressuring Rogers at times and Pierre-Paul took Jordy almost completely out of the mix, which was a really smart move.  Most of the passes went to Jennings instead, and he was obviously out of synch with Rogers after over a month apart.  They said he could have come back and played week 17 if needed - guess that would have been a pretty good idea in hindsight.  The turnovers didn't help much either.  I thought the defense played okay - nothing spectacular, but they held a dominating Giants team to just a handful of points up until the end there.  I wish they had put a little more pressure on Eli though - he had all day to throw.   Allowing that hail mary TD at the end of the half is unforgivable as well.

I'm going to put the blame on a triple combo platter:
1.) Rust for sure - Rogers never looked comfortable. Driver played well, but Jennings and Finley had a lot of mistakes and Jordy was nowhere to be found.
2.) Personal issues for the offensive coordinator.  I'm sure this was weighing on him and probably impacted the whole team.  The offense had just about their worst game of the season, so I don't think its a coincidence.
3.) Let's give some credit to the Giants defense.  Anyone can score on the pack, but I thought the G-Men did a solid job of covering the secondary and rattling Rogers.  They never gave up big plays and showed a lot of different looks.  And most importantly, that whole team looks hungry for a win.  I definitely did not see the Packers playing with that kind if intensity.

It's  going to be a long long off season after this one.  I will watch the Super Bowl, but no idea who I want to win at this point.

The only bright side for me is that I had Brady, Gronk, and Nicks in my fantasy playoff league, so I have something to play for this week. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Okay, Kristin Chenoweth did a hell of a lot better singing the National Anthem for the NFC Championships than Steven Tyler's massacre offkey version. But I guess comparing those two is like comparing apples to oranges.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Okay, Kristin Chenoweth did a hell of a lot better singing the National Anthem for the NFC Championships than Steven Tyler's massacre offkey version. But I guess comparing those two is like comparing apples to oranges.

Word. Miss Noodles is way hotter!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy