Author Topic: Squid Head  (Read 13656 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Squid Head
« on: September 10, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Squid Head
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Squidhead was one of my favorite figs coming out of ROTJ.  Just a very unique and cool looking alien with those tentacles and the cloth robes/cape were pretty awesome relative to anything else Kenner had made at that point.  He was always the lead baddie in my SW alien army.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 10:55 PM »
The only major thing the POTJ one had over the Kenner one is a more accurate headsculpt.  Kenner made those soft good well, made a bit player into an action figure. One of their best.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:24 AM »
Always an interesting bad guy when i was a kid.  Hard to believe the last update was in POTJ, and it still holds up in the modern line...mostly.

I woudn't mind an updated squidhead with soft goods and a little more articulation.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:29 AM »
I agree. We need a new Squid Head. Something with more soft goods this time. The head sculpt still works well.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:48 PM »
I never owned the vintage Squid Head till I was older, but he's one of those figures that really looks ok in a group of modern figures, especially if he has a customed up paintjob.  He just fills into the background well, and incomplete ones are a dime a dozen to boot, so customizing one up for filler in a modern scene is totally doable.

I loved his "Mongo Beefhead" thing they re-used the head for too...  Just too weird.

The modern Tessek/Squid Head was one of the better POTJ figures IMO.  A neutral pose, a little extra articulation, a working holster, and it was one of the first times I really felt Hasbro was exploring "textures" with their costume sculpts.  Trying to make plastic look like it could feel like the fabrics it was based on.  Really slick.

The Vintage figure and Modern have some pretty big differences obviously...  Vintage was way more "playable", but the modern one was really hyper detailed.

I'd gladly take a resculpt of the modern figure, but I'm not sure I'd put him above a lot of other figures on my wishlist.  Softgoods though, and a good bit of articulation, I could stand to see.  This, again though, is a time when I could see my "minimum articulation standards" being applied...

I'd be happy seeing a new Tessek with ball-jointed knees added, and angle-cut elbows ala the Death Star Gunner, and wrists of course, rather than the full-on ball-jointed treatment with ankles, elbows, shoulders, knees, etc...  I'm the last guy to poo poo getting hyper articulated figures, but at this point I think some figures don't need ankles (so long as they're not posed oddly, and are just flat, straight feet posed...  no walking/leaning/lunging posed feet), and even some are ok with the angle-cut elbows like the DS Gunner has.  Tessek/Squid Head would get my vote for that, to see other figures get things they need, like holsters, or whatever it is Hasbro's cutting back on that wave.  ::)

Anyway, I'll take a new one when they get to him, but there's a lot of unmade aliens and humans from the cantina and JP that I'd want more is all.  I'm just sure Tessek's going to get remade too, haha.  Just seems so memorable despite being a background guy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Itīs amazing how Hasbro has improved depiction of detail in smaller scale than vintage Kenner.

The head reduced to show more features, perhaps only brancchiae should have been more marked on potj version.

Like how the collar of the cape is more visible on potj Tessek, but the disposition of Squid Headīs cape make a satisfactory look, something you can accomodate due to the flexibility of soft goods.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 09:57 AM »
The vintage one is a favourite of mine. Again a textbook example of how to make soft goods work. Eerie guy too, more so than his modern counterpart.