Author Topic: 2012 Movie Heroes Basic Figures (Maul cardback)  (Read 70115 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Movie Heroes Line
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 05:27 PM »
I agree, Jesse. $9 and limited articulation would suck, since Vintage is supposed to be the high-end line. But I don't think 2-1B needs a lot of articulation to be good enough to get. But glowing lightsabers (if they do that)? Not sure how they'd do that (I'm thinking the vintage-slide lightsabers).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 05:31 PM »
But glowing lightsabers (if they do that)?

They already confirmed at SDCC this year that they will have some figures with light-up sabers in the 2012 line, so they are definitely coming...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 05:33 PM »
I'd have to see whatever it is to reserve judgment...  i still buy 2-1B POTF2 figures for cheap when I see them.

The key there is "for cheap" though...  Is a 2-1B with POTF2 levels of articulation and possibly some "deformity" due to the feature worth $9 since he lights up?  Again, I'd have to see it to decide that...  Same on sabers.  Might be cool, but price factors in a lot once it becomes a novelty, at least from my perspective.  I hope it sells to kids, but these days folks are cutting back and what stuff costs plays a bigger role I think, than it had been anyway for a lot of years.

I'm into the idea, I just feel it sounds like a lot more spreading out of the line now...  Though if Legends are canned, I guess it's contracted a bit too from one end.  I dunno. 

I just automatically start thinking 2002 though...  For me, it's the worst time in the hobby, and was far worse than things are now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Would a new 2-1B would debut as a kid oriented action feature release?

I dislike action features, like articulation and have passed on a few Clone Wars releases just due to their lack of ankle joints.

If this is want they want to do to get kids interested in Star Wars figures, ...makes more sense than these occassional short-lived kid-aimed idea like ten-inch Clone Wars figures of a mere 3 characters or that attacktix series. 

Hope the light-up sabers don't look like the electronic power f/x figures with the thick arms and stuff. (The Emperor was amusing with the lightning...only one I got...on clearance)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 07:21 PM »
The improvements that have come with LED's and fiber optic lighting could make these light up figures potentially cool.  The POTF2 electronic power FX figures were kind of weak, but were probably limited by the technology of their time.  Some characters would obviously work better than others.

JEDI / SITH:  The lightsabers are the obvious thing that people would want to see light-up.  It could be done in a number of ways.  The battery would definitely need to be housed in the body.  From there, either a wire or a fiber optic line would need to be run from the body and into an arm.  The LED would either be in the hand/hilt (wired) or the body (fiber optic).  That arm is going to be limited in articulation, and would likely only be articulated at the shoulder.  An elbow joint might work, but would almost certainly have to be a swivel cut joint.  A removable lightsaber blade would probably be ideal from a play value standpoint, but that design has been problematic.

HOLOGRAMS:  There's some potential here for a number of characters that appeared as holograms.  Darth Sidious, the Neimoidians, Sio Bibble, etc.  It would make the translucent figure that much more interesting.

DROIDS:  2-1B has been mentioned, and has the light up mid-section.  C-3PO could benefit from light up eyes.  And R2-D2 would benefit as would other astromech droids.  Hasbro has gone the electronic route with R2-D2 before, but the LED has always been either the wrong color (ROTS electronic R2-D2) or in the wrong spot (POTF2 power FX R2-D2).  Getting those details right would be most welcome!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Not sure what to think of all this.  I've always been in favor of having the "brand" contract into fewer lines, so we're not really gaining anything with the loss of Legends from that standpoint.  I also think that "action features" scares a lot of us as well, depending on what they are.  Granted, a lot of that stuff (such as in the superhero lines or even CW) deals more with the accessories these days than the actual figures, so maybe it won't be as bad as we think.  Also, we'll still have our vintage "collector" figures too I guess.

I just hope they aren't overdoing the push for TPM too.  I've liked what I've seen so far from SDCC, and look forward to what is shown at NYCC, but that movie (1) isn't exactly super popular and (2) will likely only be in theaters for a few weeks, right?  I don't know if we need six months of the year dedicated to Phantom Menace stuff necessarily.  Oh well, either way I'm anxious to see what is in store.  This "movie heroes" line just got more interesting - although I worry even more about duplicating characters across this and TVC.  I think we still need the main characters in the vintage collection, because if we have a line full of background/secondary stuff, it will likely pegwarm and/or get cancelled eventually.  Hopefully they'll balance it well - unless the plan is to eventually phase out vintage.  I know it is planned "through 2012", but I wonder what will happen beyond that.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 01:19 AM »
2012 Movie Heroes Wave 1
  2012 MHxx Darth Maul
  2012 MHxx Battle Droid
  2012 MHxx Qui-Gon Jinn
  2012 MHxx Super Battle Droid
  2012 MHxx R2-D2
  2012 MHxx Clone Trooper
  2012 MHxx Clone Trooper (Jetpack)
  2012 MHxx Destroyer Droid
  2012 MHxx Obi-Wan Kenobi
  2012 MHxx General Grievous
  2012 MHxx Darth Vader
  2012 MHxx Yoda

2012 Movie Heroes Wave 1
  2012 MHxx Obi-Wan Kenobi (light-up saber)
  2012 MHxx Darth Maul (light-up saber)
  2012 MHxx Qui-Gon Jinn (light-up saber)
  2012 MHxx Padme Amidala
  2012 MHxx Anakin Skywalker (Pod Race Pilot)
  2012 MHxx Jar Jar Binks

I don't think I'll be buying anything from Wave 1 as those all appear to be repacks (anyone up for deciphering which sculpts all those wave 1 figures are? :P), but that Anakin and JarJar from Wave 2 don't look too bad upon first glance...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 01:43 AM »
I am only getting Jar Jar, and Padme.  Anakin is on sight decision. 

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 03:29 AM »
So from Wave 1 of this new line Hasbro's repacking the SA Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

For TVC 2012 Wave 1 they're repacking the same Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, plus capes (keep in mind TVC is more expensive than the other basic figure lines).

And for the exclusive Wal-Mart wave, they're repacking the exact same Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan figures, with a pair of 3D glasses for the TPM 3D release.

Does that make any sense?   
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 09:34 AM »
I believe R2 is a new sculpt and has tweets out 32 lines... if that makes it new enough for people.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Does that make any sense?   

No it doesn't. It seems utterly ridiculous to me. Why even have the "Wave 1" of this line at all?

Why for the "Discover the Force" line have the Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Destroyer Droid and Darth Maul figures at all?

If I was planning this line, this is what I would have done:

1. Keep the Vintage assortment wave of 12 figures exactly like they already are

2. Scrap the entire Movie Heroes Wave 1 (BTW this wave has done nothing to disprove my theory that Hasbro is contractually obligated to have Darth Vader in EVERY initial wave of a line).

3. Make this Movie Heroes Wave 1:
  • Qui-Gon Jinn - light up lightsaber
  • Darth Maul - light up lightsaber
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi - light up lightsaber
  • Padme w/Ascension Gun
  • Anakin w/Pod Racer Gear
  • Jar Jar Binks
  • Battledroid (newest sculpt/articulation)
  • Destroyer Droid
  • R2-D2
Where you pack the three light-up figures 2-per case.

4. Make this the Discover the Force Wave for WalMart:
  • Mawhonic
  • Naboo Pilot
  • Aurra Sing
  • Gungan Warrior
  • Ric Olie
  • G8-R3
  • Qui-Gon Jinn - light up lightsaber
  • Darth Maul - light up lightsaber
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi - light up lightsaber
  • Padme w/Ascension Gun
  • Anakin w/Pod Racer Gear
  • Jar Jar Binks

This way, WalMart essentially has their own "Movie Heroes" wave and if someone wanted to, they could stick with buying the collection of 12 from WalMart to get everything "new".

5. Lastly, for the Vintage Collectors, have the Ric Olie and G8-R3 figures also appear in the Vintage line with the other four new figures from the Discover the Force wave. Also, I don't care if it's the same versions as the Movie Heroes ones or ultimate super-articulated versions, but also slot in Tatooine Anakin, Assault on Theed Padme and Jar Jar Binks into the Vintage Collection. The result here is that you show good will by showing Vintage Collectors that you care about continuing to deliver ultimate versions of the most iconic representations of key characters from each of the films in the Vintage packaging format. It will also allow the Vintage collector to choose to skip the Movie Heroes line entirely should they so choose. Which Hasbro should be okay with if it truly is aimed at kids only.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline AJ98

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 12:26 PM »
i'll be passing any one re-molds or any figures that have less articulation than the ones in stores now. that is all.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 12:51 PM »
I'm glad to see stuff like the Jar Jar in the Movie Heroes line are still good, solid figures.

We posted a rumor report describing the figure to you recently on our front page since we couldn't share more, and it's a good figure overall.  It's the Jar Jar everyone wants, who want a definitive one at least.  I was fearful that the Movie Heroes line would be a complete throw-away for me as a collector but it seems like a couple gems will be there.

The thing is too, that I may nab the light-up saber figures (or Qui Gonn anyway) just to have one.  they may get me to pick some things up from a line I was thinking may be completely off my radar like Legends has pretty much been for a while now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 01:52 PM »
We posted a rumor report describing the figure to you recently on our front page since we couldn't share more, and it's a good figure overall.  It's the Jar Jar everyone wants, who want a definitive one at least.

But is this really supposed to be THE definitive version of Jar-Jar that we've been wanting? I mean, yeah, the sculpt is good, but he's missing some important articulation (wrists, ankles). And then he's also included in a kid's line. I'm hoping Hasbro brings a totally SA Jar-Jar to TVC.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Doesn't look like he has ball jointed shoulders either