Author Topic: 2012 Movie Heroes Basic Figures (Maul cardback)  (Read 70124 times)

Offline MasterFisto

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Movie Heroes Line
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2012, 05:05 PM »
Has anyone found the second wave of Movie Heroes in any great quantities yet?

Great quantities?  No.  Light quantities?  Yes.  I have seen the wave twice (last month), and each time only a part of it.  But I got what I wanted from it: Padmé and Anakin.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2012, 08:59 PM »
I haven't seen any of Wave 2 here, and I don't think we will for awhile either.  The pegs seem to be pretty full of the Movie Heroes stuff right now, with no signs of changing.  I really think it is going to take a nice sale (or clearance) to get some of this stuff moving.  It really makes me wonder if they'll change their strategy for AOTC next year (if it does get released, still no confirmation on that I guess).

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2012, 11:37 PM »
Found the second wave at WM. They looked awful. Didn't feel bad not dropping $50 on them.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2012, 09:11 AM »
It really makes me wonder if they'll change their strategy for AOTC next year (if it does get released, still no confirmation on that I guess).

Hopefully AOTC will be in 3D this time. TPM didn't look anything like 3D for the most part.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2012, 02:38 PM »
I actually really like the light up figures.  The likenesses for Obi and Qui Gon are the best they've done, and easy swaps.  The rest are tragic though.  Jar Jar is ok, but the vintage seems better.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2012, 07:33 PM »
I'm thinking of getting the light-up Vader...  I can't justify buying a figure for its head to do a swap, but I can see Vader looking pretty awesome on a desk. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2012, 09:54 AM »
I finally found the second wave minus the light-up Obi-Wan. Grabbed them all to keep MOC, so I still need to find an Obi-Wan and then the entire wave all over again.

For the most part these figures do stink. I'm not really even keen on the Qui-Gon head sculpt.

There's just a huge part of me that feels that if they really wanted to get figures like Palace Assault Padme, Tatooine Anakin and Jar Jar out, they should have been given much better treatment and appear as part of a two wave focus on TPM in Vintage.

There's no reason why there couldn't have been a second TPM Vintage wave that featured:

Jar Jar
Tatooine Anakin
Final Battle Padme
Captain Panaka
Destroyer Droid (new sculpt that mostly folds into a ball)
Nute Gunray

And then just include six carry-over figures from the first wave along with those.

Would have made a lot more sense than having the Blu Ray Jedi figures - those should have been part of the Death Star II set from last summer.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #112 on: April 7, 2012, 11:11 AM »
I found this wave finally at my local Walmart. Echoing what others have said, despite the limited articulation, these figures do look quite good. The head sculpt for all 6 figures are probably the best to date and I might add some spare robes to the Jedi to cover their bulkiness, but they too are great figures in their own right.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: April 8, 2012, 01:04 AM »
I'm still holding out on a light up figure till Vader.  Love how that looks for some reason.

Beyond it, I think they're neat...  should've been what kicked off this line, not what they ultimately did, but probably wasn't in the cards timeline wise.  That's fine, but it's too little too late at the moment, unfortunately.  MH, along with the rest of modern SW, is seemingly dead in the water.  Anything new moves for a little while, but I'm really fearful they banked entirely too much on TPM3D.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 8, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Jay, do you think there's any way to replace the batteries on the Jedi figures? Hasbro mentioned at NYCC that once the batteries were done, you couldn't remove them. I find that hard to believe they can mold the figure around the batteries and wiring... plus I just think of possible corrosion eating the plastic after years of unuse.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #115 on: April 8, 2012, 09:04 AM »
They are fused in the body. I don't see how they could be accessible without destroying the figure. Maybe I'll pick up another for dissection purposes.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 9, 2012, 01:44 AM »
Neat idea Jayson, that'd be interesting to see.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: April 9, 2012, 02:07 AM »
One of the things I always liked, and found sort of interesting too, regarding customizing, was popping apart figures and seeing all the engineering that went into their design.  They're amazingly simple anymore compared to a while ago, actually.  In other ways they're more complex, but in many surprising ways they're much less complex than they were in say 1999/2000.

A lot of the simplification I attribute to cost cutting, not in only how they were constructed, but also the materials they were using.  They definitely changed over the years.

Some of the designs of figures were fairly ingenious though...  VOTC Chewbacca still rings as one of the more creatively designed figures ever IMO.  Other figures were so high quality though, and not even recent ones.  VTSC IG-88 comes to mind immediately, to me, as one of the most complex design and sculpted figures I think the line has ever seen, and it works pretty flawlessly.  That figure's only real drawback is his blaster doesn't fit in the holster made for it.  THat's probably more a flaw that came out during the manufacturing process though.

You also could see, popping almost every figure apart once (or more) over time, certain designer "trademarks" in a figure.  You could tell the same guy had worked on this figure or that figure (most likely) by little things they did differently in its creation.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 9, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I'm still holding out on a light up figure till Vader.  Love how that looks for some reason.

Beyond it, I think they're neat...  should've been what kicked off this line, not what they ultimately did, but probably wasn't in the cards timeline wise.  That's fine, but it's too little too late at the moment, unfortunately.  MH, along with the rest of modern SW, is seemingly dead in the water.  Anything new moves for a little while, but I'm really fearful they banked entirely too much on TPM3D.

Yeah, the line is in a strange place now.  Although it was a little more conservative approach, it is funny that they didn't learn more from the problems TPM posed in 1999.  Although, to be fair, I think they did sell a lot of figures initially with all the hype, but the poor reviews, couple with overshipping, coupled with the problems fast food chains had with their promos all played a part in the overall view of "failure" with TPM.  It seems like we're seeing it again.

Not counting stuff leaking out early (which it did), using the Jan 30 set date, we're going on 2 and 1/2 months out almost now - and at least here locally, things look mostly similar on the pegs as they did when things were set.  The Vintage stuff still sells (but much more slowly now - the TPM wave anyways), and Movie Heroes/CW are largely untouched.  A few here and there maybe, but that's about it.

I haven't bought any "movie heroes" yet, but might spring for the light up saber figures (definitely Vader) when they hit here.  Might be kind of fun.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05 PM »
I rarely go hunting anymore but last night I went to Wally and Target in town and the Wally pegs are STUFFED with Movie Heroes Wave 1.  Like there is no way they are getting anything else for a really long time.   

The case assortment rant and figure choice rant applies here.  This line is pegwarmer city :-\