Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones Figures!  (Read 61210 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones Figures!
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2015, 10:06 AM »
$20 price point probably steers away a lot of interest as well.

They're still at $20 at B&N and online stores.  Targets have them at $9.99 now.  Walgreens are $16 or $17, I believe.

I think the figures are cool, but I think the market was over-saturated by Wave 1, and the way it was done was poor, too.  B&N was the only Brick and Mortar retailer that a person could buy the figures for months.  The figures weren't HTF, either.  Just before wave 2 is supposed to hit Walgreens got Wave 1 (along with an exclusive Tyrion) so the only figure of interest to most fans was likely Tyrion.  Then Target got into the game with wave 1 (along with exclusive SDCC Tyrion) so there was only one figure to interest fans there and the rest of the wave 1 was left to peg warm. 

Wave 2, I feel, had two bad character choices.  Another Danerys, while cool, could have been better suited for later wave.  I feel it's too soon to have another Dany in a new outfit when there are other characters out there to explore.  Khal Drogo (again, cool) might have been better off for a later wave.  They could characters that are more important like Cersei or Joffrey, Tywin, Hodor and Bran, Bronn... I'm just not sure how deep they can go into the characters at a $20 price point (I guess if people keep buying, they'll do it). 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Rumor has it that a third wave is in fact in the works.  But I think Funko is waiting for more of wave 2 to sell through before presenting it to collectors.  The retail presence has been okay, and there has been some stock at TRU as well.  I'm just wondering what major characters they would go with for a third wave. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Just a heads up that Entertainment Earth's current  Buy 3, Get the 4th FREE sale on select in-stock Funko items has now been expanded to include the GOT Legacy figures...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Not that great of a deal when Target is clearing these out at $9.99 per figure.  I've managed to pick up almost all of wave 2 at Target stores over the past few weeks AND inspect the paint apps in the process.  Some of the paint jobs on these have been so spotty that you need to see the figures in person to avoid an outright disaster.  I was able to pick up Brienne, Drogo, Danaerys and Robb Stark all at reduced prices thanks to a little bit of patience.  The only wave 2 figure I paid full price for was Jaime Lannister.  And now I only have to find Arya Stark to finish the 2nd wave.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2015, 01:09 PM »
With the way these aren't selling, I'm thinking we won't see a wave 3.  Of course, wave 1 was overproduced.  I'd love more, but I think Funko should refrain from one season characters (Ned Stark excluded... I could be missing a few others).

Along with paint (I've never had too many issues... maybe The Hand Tyrion with his palm and the pin), but with Brienne, I found a lot that had flashing issues where on the head where meets the neck.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2015, 09:09 PM »
I think the ship has sailed on wave 3 too. I never did see a single wave 2 figure at Target around here, nor Walgreens either.

I think I will probably cave and get these eventually, but no rush.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2015, 09:21 PM »
I only started to see wave 2 at Target stores within the last month.  But I'm not optimistic about the future of this line. 

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2015, 10:48 PM »
I never did see a single wave 2 figure at Target around here, nor Walgreens either.

Have you tried Barnes and Noble (if you have one where you are)?  That usually where I find them.  I haven't seen Wave 2 at Target either and I suspect I won't since the pegs are full with Wave 1 still.

Along the Legacy thread, but not GoT, I'm a huge Firefly fan and am glad to see Funko touch this series, but I'm weary to invest in it as I've heard that the only way to get Inara, Book, and the Tams is if Wave 1 does well.  If they guarantee I'll get all 9 regulars I'd be happy to pick them up... but as of now I am not sure.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Yeah, I have seen a bunch of the Wave 2 guys at B&N, but that store seems content to sit on merchandise forever with no efforts to clearance anything.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 2, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Well, Barnes and Noble finally started to clearance some of the Wave 2 figures at 50% off, so I caved and picked up Brienne and Daenerys 2.0 last night. Time to pick up the Wave 1 guys at Target I guess, and then hope the rest of Wave 2 hits clearance later this summer.

I figured 15 figures was not prohibitive from a cost or space standpoint, so what the heck.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 2, 2015, 08:17 PM »
It looks like McFarlane Toys now has part of the Game of Thrones toy license.  They're going to be debuting some GoT construction sets at SDCC2015.  Here's the article:

Game of Thrones: HBO reveals awesome construction sets from McFarlane Toys

by James Hibberd • @JamesHibberd

Now you can stage your own Westeros palace intrigue with HBO’s upcoming, intricately designed Game of Thrones toy line. HBO is partnering with McFarlane Toys (as in Spawn creator Todd McFarlane) on making realistic “construction sets” and character figurines based on the hit series.

The first release is the Iron Throne Room (more photos below), which is shown with characters for King Joffrey, Tyrion Lannister, members of the Kingsguard and Lannister guards. Upcoming playsets include a Mother of Dragons set and an Attack on The Wall set. Each includes some scene-specific characters and accessories and retails from $14.99 to $49.99 (the fully stocked spread below includes the Iron Throne Room’s starter kit plus additional characters that cost extra). The figurines ($3.99 each) have articulated body parts and include characters like Tyrion, Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Grey Worm, Ghost, Rhaegal, an Unsullied, a Crow, a Wildling and a Wight.

“[HBO is] a world-class network and Game of Thrones is one of the most visually compelling shows that I’ve ever seen,” McFarlane said. “We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to create high-quality collectible construction sets based on this fan-favorite property. Both collectors and fans of this epic series can build their favorite scenes with this new product line.”

Finally, you can have your Star Wars figures team with Daenerys and Tyrion to blow up the Death Star (or invent other, far more R-rated Thrones-ian scenerios).

The toys will be revealed at Comic-Con in San Diego next week and will be released to stores this fall. Here’s some more images of the Iron Throne Room:

No word on the scale, but these look like they're probably pretty small.  This line reminds me a little bit of the LOTR Armies of Middle Earth line.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: July 2, 2015, 09:14 PM »
I've never wanted to shoot a figure with a bb gun more than that Joffrey figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 2, 2015, 10:59 PM »
Very cool...I would guess it's the same scale as their WD building sets, which are also very well done.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 3, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Here's a little more on the McFarlane GoT Construction sets.  It looks like the figures are all a 2" scale, much like what Hasbro has done with the Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers - Age of Ultron figure lines.

Allowing you to recreate your favourite scenes from the book and/or TV show. Beginning with Lannister and Stark banner packs, a Throne Room and blind item figures.

Lannister Banner Pack:
• Help show support for each House’s claim to the Iron Throne
• Starter pack for the Lannister army, which features a family banner with sigil
• Includes Lannister soldiers – one at attention, the other on guard
• Contains customisable weeds, dirt, and banner

Stark Banner Pack:
• Starter pack for the Stark army, which features a family banner with sigil
• Help show support for each House’s claim to the Iron Throne
• Includes Stark soldiers – one attacking, the other at attention
• Contains customisable weeds and dirt and banner

Throne Room Set:
• Showcases the most iconic room in the TV series
• Includes Joffrey Baratheon and a King’s Guard
• Set features the Iron Throne, two candelabras, stone backdrop, an ornate stained glass window, sconces,
buildable columns and wall
• Figures feature articulation at main joints and have bases to lock onto building set bricks

Blind Bagged Single Figures:
• Twelve buildable figure set, which includes various lead and supporting characters from the hit TV show
• Offers the ability to build various armies from different Houses and factions.
• All figures include branded environment bases
• 2” scale figures compliment other building sets
• Figures exclusive to blind bag program – not available in other building sets
• Figures have foot clamp to lock onto building set bricks and feature articulation at main joints
• Interchangeable, buildable body parts with other 2” figures

The sets definitely look good.  Although professional lighting and photography can really help that, too.  I have to wonder what the pricing will be like.  And I'm also curious to see if McFarlane has also secured the license for 6" scale figures.  Their Walking Dead figures look pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2015, 09:12 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird