Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones Figures!  (Read 61522 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones Figures!
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Ah that's the best route for these for sure I think.  Funko stuff has been oddly distributed to regular retailers I've found. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2016, 02:01 PM »
I had a couple other things on my EE wishlist come in-stock over the past week, so I put together a $80 order with Jon and Ghost included. 

Looking forward to checking them out.  If I like what I find when I look them over, I'll probably grab Samwell, Tormund, Ygritte, and the rest over the summer.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2016, 06:31 PM »
I see some on eBay and the facial paint apps really pales against the samples. If these are an indication of the run, it would be a disappointment.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2016, 06:59 PM »
Jeff, my only thot on the elbows was they don't have that "u" notch like the knees do.  Looks more like a rounded pin.  Wrists I was always just wishful thinking. :/

Not sure how in or not I am at this point.  Don't need another collection but articulation aside these are nice sculpts in a much preferred scale.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: July 3, 2016, 12:01 AM »
I had a couple other things on my EE wishlist come in-stock over the past week, so I put together a $80 order with Jon and Ghost included. 

Looking forward to checking them out.

Got Jon and Ghost today.  Ghost has 5 POA (neck, 4 legs) and Jon has 9 POA (ball neck, 2x shoulders, 2x elbows, 2x legs, 2x knees).  No ball joints on elbows or knees, but the ball join head is nice.  Would make for some nice easy customs if you want more Crows to guard your wall or whatever.  The samples I got are pretty nice deco wise. 

It's a really nice middle of the road figure.  Good sculpt, decent articulation, good deco - Pretty decent value for just $10 when compared to a lot of other stuff out there.  I think I will eventually pick up Tormund, Sam, and Ygrette.   Maybe go for the White Walkers too, maybe not.  Def going to skip backgrounders like Styr and Rattleshirt though.   Hope they can keep it going. I look forward to seeing what they do for Wave/Series 2. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 3, 2016, 01:49 PM »
Wish we could get some confirmation whether TRU or Target will be carrying these. Barnes and Noble seems to have gotten out of the 3&3/4" game.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: July 3, 2016, 04:30 PM »
Saw the walker at gamestop...  Looks neat.  I have some EE ordering going on so I may just tack on a couple GoT guys but I'm gonna pik and choose on the line.  Ball jointed elbows and wrist joints would've had me all in.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 5, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Saw the walker at gamestop...  Looks neat.  I have some EE ordering going on so I may just tack on a couple GoT guys but I'm gonna pik and choose on the line.  Ball jointed elbows and wrist joints would've had me all in.

Just gonna throw it out there - if anyone sees these at Gamestop this week please help a brother out and post a UPC/Item#/SKU so I can call around to try and find these.

I was surprised and disappointed to see they have not added these to their website yet despite selling them in their stores. They are normally much better about that stuff than most retailers.

THANKS!!  :)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2016, 07:47 PM »
Gamestop finally got these up on their website this week, but the closest store with any in stock is 42 miles away from me. So I just went ahead and bought all of them as a lot on eBay for less than $10 apiece shipped, pretty pleased about that. Look forward to checking them out firsthand.  :)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2016, 11:13 PM »
Got all 9 figures today and they are terrific IMHO. Only downside was the bubbles are not well glued to the cards at all, so about 3-4 of them came right off during transit. Not a huge deal as I was pretty sure I would open these anyway, but fair warning to carded collectors.

Also kinda bugs me that I now have 3 different scales of GOT figures to display, and a pretty random assortment of character choices in all three.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Not much news out of SDCC on these toys, but I did hear they are considering either King's Landing or Mereen for the next themed wave. I think Mereen would be a lot cooler...dragons, sons of the Harpy, etc.

I hope they aren't disappointed by the first wave sales. There seems to be almost no distribution on this line whatsoever outside of a handful of Gamestops and specialty shops.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2016, 05:06 PM »
I checked one of the local Toys R Us stores near me this afternoon and saw that they now have the Funko Game of Thrones 3.75" figures.  I had been thinking about getting into this line, and I had seen them a few months back in another store.  On that occasion I had my daughter with me and she just did not have a whole lot of patience, so  I didn't have a whole lot of time to check them out. 

Today I finally had the opportunity to take a good look at most of the figures in the line:  Jon Snow, the Night's King, the White Walker, the Magnar of Thenn, Ygritte, Sam and Rattleshirt.  Funko must have some great photographers or people prepping these figures for the photo shoots, because the figures I saw today at TRU were REALLY disappointing.  I had given Funko the benefit of the doubt with the ReAction line since I kind of got the concept.  Those figures reminded me of ones from the 80's, like the Battlestar Galactica line, or lines for The Black Hole or Buck Rogers.  And on figures for Alien I thought the concept translated well since that movie came out in 1979.  But this GoT line seemed like it was a step up in terms of articulation and sculpting from the ReAction line, at least based on the promo photos.  Seeing them in person and giving them a good look was the deciding factor though.  Maybe I'm being a bit critical about the product.  And I think I'm definitely being a bit more frugal about what I'm willing to spend my money on.  But I really liked Funko's 6" GoT figure line a lot more than these 3.75" figure offerings.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2016, 09:43 AM »
I recently bought The Wall playset at TRU and was really impressed overall. The Tyrion pack in figure was very well sculpted I thought. Plus it is just a great place to display all the loose figures.

To me, the line is a nice compromise between cheap 5POA and more expensive SA figures. The kind of stuff I wish SW was doing. On the ones I got the paint apps seem fine. At least comparable to most of Hasbro's stuff lately.

Maybe it's just an experiment for them? The Suicide Squad figures they are doing look very much in the same vein. I haven't heard any more about a second GoT wave recently, so maybe it's just a one and done deal.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2016, 11:53 PM »
I hadn't seen much of these myself and rarely stop by TRU anymore, but I saw them at a comic shop (All but a couple) and I gotta go with Nick on this...  I was a little disappointed.  The eyes and hair were sloppy (being generous) and the sculpts were  a bit softer than I thought they'd be.  I would still like a Jon Snow and Tyrion figure, but I'd happily cap it at those two and call it a day I think.

Now if they had wrist joints and ball jointed elbows, I'd probably be much more intrigued by it.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 4, 2016, 11:32 AM »
I took another look at these yesterday when I stopped by my local TRU.  A perfect example of how Funko dropped the ball is on the Night's King.  Take a look at the official product image:

But the production version was so far from this.  Take a look at the figure as it's shown in this review, which is what I saw on the figure that was on the pegs at TRU.  And you're left wondering WTF?!?!  The clothing should very clearly be black, NOT light blue.  I get the whole frozen effect that you would want to add to any sort of White Walker.  But the Night's King is different.  Especially since the character was ***POSSIBLE SPOILER*** very likely once a member of the Night's Watch. ***POSSIBLE SPOILER*** This is one figure that they absolutely needed to get right, and instead this was a significant failure.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2016, 11:33 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback