Author Topic: The Hobbit - Toy Line  (Read 140113 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit - Toy Line
« Reply #105 on: October 3, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Yeah these are REALLY nice...  Like, nice to the point that if there wasn't SW I'd be considering going all in on these, and praying for a LOTR line as well...  Actually if the latter happens it'll be hard for me NOT to buy into these.  :-\  LOTR is the only movie franchise besides SW that has me hooked in completely.
Indiana Jones?!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: October 4, 2012, 01:23 AM »
Whoops, how soon I forget. :)

OK, it's one of only THREE that have me hooked completely...

Now...  if a WW2 movie or movies, or mini-series on HBO, had a line of figures...  but that ain't happenin'.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 4, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Yeah these are REALLY nice...  Like, nice to the point that if there wasn't SW I'd be considering going all in on these, and praying for a LOTR line as well...  Actually if the latter happens it'll be hard for me NOT to buy into these.  :-\  LOTR is the only movie franchise besides SW that has me hooked in completely.
This is the way I feel also. If there is ever a 3 3/4 LotR line, as long as it isn't stupidly expensive and the articulation is decent, I will at least get the main characters and then see where it goes from there.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 4, 2012, 09:51 PM »
link to my new album I took tonight with new figures: http://imageshack.us/g/1/9794771/

Couple of notes:

The Goblin King is solid - pretty heavy for a figure. He has a little peg on his crown and a tiny hole for it to go into on his head. For being the blob he is he has pretty decent range of motion. I took a couple of pics of him to show this off. The first pic he is standing straight up, notice how his belly goes from pink up to white. In the next pic if you make him hunch forward he can go so far as to make the white section of his belly disappear. This helps him sit well as you can see in the third pic of him.

Finbul - he is pretty darn cool looking. Even looks like a cool generic Goblin with the cape off as you can see in the pics.

The Worg - Wow! pretty sweet. I wasn't sure he had an articulated jaw based on the early pics but I was thinking he did, and he did not disappoint! His tail also has articulation.

Bolg and Gandalf - they look awesome as well but I didn't open them yet because I wan to wait until I see them in stores to see if I can find a Bolg with paint matching the one on the back of the card. The one we get has basically a blood soaked beard making it look just like red hair. The one on the back of the card is a much lighter hair color with "some" blood added to the beard and also blood going around his mouth. I may just have to fix this myself though.

The I threw in some pics of the goblins with Thor because I can see how some people would like to mix the lines here. And then finally a pic with Wolverine from the X-Men line to show off scale.

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 5, 2012, 01:53 AM »
awesome pics shmashwitdaclub

makes me even more mad that my TRU doesn't have this stuff in stock yet.

I really do hope that we could get an amazing LOTR 3 3/4 set.

The way I see this playing out

They do the hobbit movies, then they release the LOTR trilogy in 3D. ( which will help us get a toy line)

I am calling it right now lol. FIRST
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 5, 2012, 10:23 AM »
If you are planning on going "all in" like I did - I would recommend just ordering everything from the 4 inch line from TRU .com  everything is in stock plus you will get free shipping and will be close to spending the $150 to get 20% off your entire order.  I think everything 4 inch they have online add up to $128, so if there is something else you are looking at you should be golden on getting the 20% off.

I forgot to mention yesterday I stopped at my TRU and they had some of this line out.  Looks like a case of single carded figures, a case of Fimbul/Worg, and a case of the 5 packs.  I was lucky enough to grab Grinnah as he was the only figure I needed to complete having 1 of everything from the initial release.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 5, 2012, 11:37 AM »
Grabbed some of these from my local TRU yesterday... I'm hooked. 

Going back for more this weekend.  This is what I'm buying for the rest of the year.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 5, 2012, 08:47 PM »
you know what another thing this toy line had done that hasbro has not been able to do?  Universal neck posts - I swear all of the ones I have opened are swappable except for Gollum.  Sure Bilbo's head looks funny on anyone else's body other than his own, but it works.  Some of the dwarf heads on Legolas' boddy looked pretty darn good.  Balin especially because he doesn't have long hair - sometimes during the swaps the hair doesn't quite come all the way down to the shoulders.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 6, 2012, 03:05 PM »
I tiook some pics wih the new Shao Kahn arena set and Hobbit figures:

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9797606/

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 9, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I picked up a Grinnah over the weekend ... and just received my order from TRU.com at work.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 9, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I saw some of the new figures at TRU this week.  The 6" scale Thorin actually looks decent, and could easily fit in with the previously offered LOTR figures from ToyBiz.

But the 3.75" scale figures?  That's another story entirely.  The characters that are more to scale, like the Elves and Orcs look okay.  Legolas looked fine.  The orc with the Warg looks alright.  And the Goblin looks okay (even if I haven't seen a production still of the character).  But these figures start losing it with the Dwarves.  The Dwarves are kind of marginal in terms of details, deco and sculpt. 

And then there's Bilbo!  OMG!!!  If you can't get the main character in the film series to look right as a figure in the 3.75" scale, you should seriously consider NOT offering a 3.75" scale figure line.  And let's be honest:  that 3.75" scale Bilbo figure looks like a mess!  Hobbits just seem a bit too small to work at this scale.  The paint apps look way too glossy, and I think it's going to hurt the appeal of the figure.  And since Bilbo's the central character, it could hurt the line as a whole.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 9, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Stopped at TRU today checking for Hobbit stuff (as well as SW/Marvel, but mainly for this), and still no signs of the line at our store.  Maybe I'm totally missing where it is stocked, but I checked all the regular areas and haven't seen it yet.  Hopefully soon.  I do have some stuff coming from TRU.com this week though.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56 AM »
at my local TRU they have only a couple items from the line - the 5 packs, one case of 3.75 single carded figures, a case or two of Fimbul with Worg, and I think just the axe for the role play weapons.  They have all of this stuff down what I consider "the NECA/Jazwares" aisle.

As for Bilbo as Nick is pointing out - I think he looks fine.  He is very clean, or glossy as you say, but who knows how many versions they are thinking about doing this year?  Perhaps he looks this way to emphasize the representation of him for how he looks at the beginning of the movie?  All in all though, I still don't think he is a bad figure.

And I have to completely disagree with you on the details, deco and sculpts for the dwarves.  Other than Kili's eyes and Fili's hair I think they are incredible in all area previously mentioned.  Dwalin especially is sooooooo awesome!

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2012, 01:26 PM »
omg
im Gay For Tolkien stuff
and had NO idea ths i was coming!!!!!
"....WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME?!"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2012, 05:16 PM »
omg
im Gay For Tolkien stuff
and had NO idea ths i was coming!!!!!
"....WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME?!"

lol - have fun with this - I love the line   :)