Author Topic: The Hobbit - Toy Line  (Read 140123 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit - Toy Line
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2012, 10:10 PM »
Good observation Efranks - they do look almost exactly the same.  The only thing I am not seeing on the clear Bilbo is ankle articulation, which is odd - especially since we know that the clear one is 6 inches.  Strange if the smaller version has ankles and the bigger one does not... 

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2012, 10:18 PM »
I'm kind of hoping for the 3.75 ones and the 6" ones to be nearly identical in quality. That way it's win win for everyone. I also hope that these are successful enough to maybe get a LOTR trilogy wave or two out there. I'd love me some Star Wars scaled Fellowship.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2012, 06:38 AM »
I think you might be right - the way they have worded the character descriptions to me makes them sound like they are intending them to be identical.  I just dont think that is a good decision on their part to have both scales competing against themselves if this is true - especially if the 3.75 in figures are just scaled down versions of the 6 in.  Not enough differences or variety

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2012, 12:04 PM »
My thought is that the 3.75 line, if similar in quality, will be much more popular than the bigger figures.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2012, 08:42 PM »
ToyNewsI.com has some pics up of the Hobbit line (both scales):

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=316&itemid=18925

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Stuff looks nice...hopefully the finished product isn't Mattelesque

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Got a few pics of the 3.75" figs...  ugh, I think I'm in, if the prices are ok.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2012, 09:17 PM »
So, after getting a better look at this line at SDCC, who's in and who's out?  I'm starting to think that I'm in for at least some of this stuff.  I thought it looked decent in the pics I've seen, and overall may have been one of more impressive "reveals" of the con as far as toys go that I'm interested in.  SW and MU both had little in the way of news or new stuff shown, and Legends doesn't have a lot on the way until next year.  Other than that, I don't buy much else (besides LEGO).  Hopefully they won't be priced terrible, and the finished product still looks good.  I'm likely in for the 3 3/4" stuff (at least some), and maybe some of the 6" stuff too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 02:28 PM »
I thought the figures were $8-$10 each, and the 2pks about $15... if that's the case, I'm in for some of these.  Mostly, as a customizer.  I see some really cool potential here.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Think I'm out again...these seemed way cooler when I thought I was looking at awesome 4" sculpts which then turned out to be 6" sculpts. Plus, just stupid human types? I want goblins, orcs, dragons, and crazy stuff like that.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Think I'm out again...these seemed way cooler when I thought I was looking at awesome 4" sculpts which then turned out to be 6" sculpts. Plus, just stupid human types? I want goblins, orcs, dragons, and crazy stuff like that.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Peter Jackson has them holding that stuff back, which makes sense - seems like other toy lines (Hasbro Marvel) does this with their villains.

I am pretty sure I am in.

here are some decent links with info: 
http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2012/07/sdcc-2012-the-bridge-direct-the-hobbit#more-15785
http://thefwoosh.com/2012/07/sdcc-2012-the-bridge-direct-hobbit
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:53 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Thanks for the links.  I'm actually kind of jazzed about the line.  The figures look pretty good, and there's potential for a lot of neat stuff if they sell well.  Reading the reports (and seeing the pics), it looks like a big focus on 3 3/4" with two packs, multi packs, etc.  I remember there being a lot of listings at BBTS at one time, but I don't know if they are up anymore.  Looking at the pics, are the two pack/multi pack versions of the figures the same as the single packed ones?  They look pretty similar for the most part, and would probably be cheaper to pick them up that way if they are the same.  Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what else we're going to get....and I'm ready to break out the Hobbit and start re-reading it again.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2012, 12:05 AM »
I have to admit I'm more curious in the other races as well...  humans, elves, orcs/goblings, etc.  Though seeing the Dwarves makes me geeked at what the other characters could turn out to be like.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2012, 02:35 PM »
I see Gentle Giant has the SDCC Exclusive (6") Invisible Bilbo figure for sale on their site for $25.  I was tempted to order one, but the shipping looked to be about another $12 so I held back for now.  I don't know if I necessarily need it or not, but I guess I'm just getting excited for Hobbit toys.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 1, 2012, 12:16 PM »
I read this at AFI, detailing how the Hobbit line goes up for preorder today (Sept 1).  They only list ToysRUs.com, Amazon, and EE as retailers, so I'm not sure if it is some sort of exclusive...or if these just happen to be the only retailers they listed:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/official-presales-for-the-hobbit-toy-collection-start-tomorrow

I checked Amazon, and they are indeed up for order, with a release date of Oct 1.  What I see listed so far are the Wave 1 6" figures (Gandalf, Bilbo, and Thorin Oakenshield), and some 3 3/4" product (Balin/Dwalin 2 pack, Bilbo/Gollum 2 Pack, Fili/Kili 2 Pack, and a 5 pack with Dwalin, Bilbo, Fili, Kili and Thorin).