Author Topic: 2011 "Best Of" The Vintage Collection  (Read 9711 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2011 "Best Of" The Vintage Collection
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 09:25 PM »
This is really tough... 

-Best Figure...  I'm at such a loss on this one because the figures almost all had huge qualities, and minor flaws.  Since I'm biased, I'm going with a tie between the Echo Base Trooper and Rebel Fleet Trooper though (would it have been any other way for me?)

They both have what I consider one major drawback, and basically some minor flaws, but otherwise were pretty perfect figures.

The Echo Base Rebel's only drawback to me was his lack of a removable hat...  Having Hasbro prove they can do not one, not two, but three functional and aesthetically pleasing removable Hoth Hats, and then to just not do one on this figure, kind of blew.  the sculpt was outstanding though, articulation is good as always, the paint aps were nice, and the character was LONG overdue...  One could bitch up a storm about price and availability, but both could be said for many (or every) figure.

The Rebel Fleet Trooper is my guilty pleasure, and so I had to list him.  The sculpt's outstanding, and besides his lack of a holster, he's pretty much perfect.  Hasbro went overboard on accessories, to the point I wish a couple were left out for the f'n holster, but his articulation was great, sculpt was sharp, paint aps were great...  Again, minor gripes and then one one "biggie" in his lack of a holster.  In viewing the Blu Rays, it's pretty clear that these guys almost all had holsters at both Yavin IV and on the Tantive IV.  Oh well.

-Runner Up Figure...  Zam Wessel...  Long overdue, great sculpt...  Other than her hair color being "off", I liked this one a lot and happily bought several of a figure just to display her in a variety of ways.

-Best Vehicle...  I didn't buy any vehicles this year, but I'd go with the Clone Cannon ultimately.  It has play features galore ultimately, it utlizies the "kids love Clones" mantra, and it's nice to see something less vehicle,a nd more fixed artillery.  They're a rarity ultimately.

-Runner Up Vehicle...  Nothing.  I really felt Hasbro dropped it on vehicles this year.  I'd have rebought the Snowspeeder with a better deco, and I'd have rebought the V-19 with a new deco...  In general, decoes are non-existant on 90% of the Star Wars vehicles, so just getting a paint variation is welcomed...  Hell, even if it's just dirtying up the "clean" decoed ship, I'd probably rebuy it.

-Best Exclusive...  This one was tougher.  I have to go with a late-comer to the party though,a nd something I guess Hasbro wasn't really involved with, in the Starspeeder 1000.  To me, it was a kick in Hasbro's sack, telling them what they need to start doing more of with what they make.  A decent price on a big ship, with tons of play features.  How that Republic Shuttle was priced so much more is beyond me because the Starspeeder is twice the toy at a lower price, and a piece only sold at a couple friggin' places on the planet!  Hasbro, you got some splainin' to do.

-Runner-Up Exclusive...  Search For Luke.  $25 for 2 figures and a sweet Taun Taun?  Plus they get you that cool little phantom accessory?  The saddest thing about it all was the $25 Taun-Taun next to it with, well, nothing.

-Best Multipack...  Attack on the Cornet.  It's an exclusive too, but I considered it more "figures" and less a set like the Search for Luke set.  To me, this was the best one of the year, and the only one I considered purchasing even.  All Battlepacks were basically a waste, and this was all I was interested in.

I cheated some by throwing in runner-ups but I wanted to at least point out some cool stuff I thought about other things that didn't make the cut.

In general though, I have to say, I'm kind of down on Star Wars collecting these days...  I look around at what Lego does, or Sideshow, and I just feel they deliver you more value for the price.  I feel Star Wars is in a weird place with Hasbro right now, and that's a big reason we're seeing a line shift to "action featurey" stuff.  Sure there's the collector line, but the collector line had issues this year that far transcend perceived distribution issues.  There's a lot more going on there that highlighted problems within the line's current direction.

IMO if it doesn't change in 2012, there may be major shifts in the line in some form or another.  At this point though, I just sometimes don't get the thrill about this that I once did.  I'm not interested like I used to be.  Maybe it's because the RFT is here that I wanted and now I don't care?  Regardless though, I'm disappointed in the hobby in general right now, and I don't foresee a big rebound for my feelings about collecting anytime soon.  Unless something really cool/positive happens for collectors here, pretty soon.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 2, 2012, 05:23 PM »
In general though, I have to say, I'm kind of down on Star Wars collecting these days...  I look around at what Lego does, or Sideshow, and I just feel they deliver you more value for the price.  I feel Star Wars is in a weird place with Hasbro right now, and that's a big reason we're seeing a line shift to "action featurey" stuff.  Sure there's the collector line, but the collector line had issues this year that far transcend perceived distribution issues.  There's a lot more going on there that highlighted problems within the line's current direction.

IMO if it doesn't change in 2012, there may be major shifts in the line in some form or another.  At this point though, I just sometimes don't get the thrill about this that I once did.  I'm not interested like I used to be.  Maybe it's because the RFT is here that I wanted and now I don't care?  Regardless though, I'm disappointed in the hobby in general right now, and I don't foresee a big rebound for my feelings about collecting anytime soon.  Unless something really cool/positive happens for collectors here, pretty soon.

Those are some interesting points Jesse, I'm sort of curious about the line's future at this point as well.  I know this probably isn't the right thread for this, but like you mentioned, the line is in a strange place in some ways right now.  Although I'm not an all-out CW collector myself, just picking up a few figures here and there, it seems so strange that that portion of the line is getting pushed aside so much this year.  I understand wanting to push movie stuff with these 3D releases, but it seemed like - at least during the first couple years - CW was all Hasbro cared about.  We were told so often (particularly during the Legacy line's run) that it was basically all that made money and that collector's weren't supporting "our" line.  To go from that to basically an afterthought seems surprising.  I have read that the show's ratings have declined, although I don't know how much.  I still watch each episode, although I admit I'm not quite as psyched up each week as I was the first couple years.

I'm sort of wondering how much kids care about SW right now, aside from role play stuff.  I haven't seen kiddos looking at figures much this past year, although the lack of figures on the pegs might have had something to do with that in some instances.  It will be really interesting to see how this Movie Heroes line does.  It is obviously going to be the focus, and if kids don't bite, it is likely going to sit pretty badly.  In some ways, this year of SW collecting could really influence the line's future - particularly with the planned continued 3D releases.  I'm still in with the Vintage Collection - likely all of it - and will continue with movie stuff in some capacity as long as they make it most likely.  At the same time, I can see your point about "bang for your buck" with other lines.  This is the first year (or last year I guess) that I got into LEGO a little bit, with a couple smaller sets, an X-Wing, and now the Falcon for Christmas.  I can see why those collectors are so dedicated to that line, a lot of neat stuff there as well.  Anyways, I'm still loving the vintage line myself, but I am interested to see where the line is headed beyond this year.  If this movie heroes stuff tanks, and CW doesn't start picking up steam again, it might have to move to a smaller, collector focused type line similar to what it was in the POTJ days (if Hasbro is interested in doing that).

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 3, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Despite the problems we all have with Hasbro, admittedly they've done an overall good job of keeping SW merchandise as relevant as any other hot new toy line, and even moreso.  But at some point, it will likely have to become a collector-only line, like NECA and such. Certain years have looked more like that than others, but it's inevitable I think.  A 30+ year old property is going to eventually become a nostalgia thing rather than support of new media- that's what it's been for me and many other collectors, since the line began.  I just wish Hasbro would acknowledge the support collectors have given this hobby: I don't care how many kids get their parent to buy a Vader figure, it pales in comparison to the dozens/hundreds of army builders many of us buy, year after year.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 3, 2012, 10:49 AM »
I'm going to have to agree with Jesse and name the Star Speeder 1000 the best exclusive and the best vehicle of the year! It's huge and has lots of play value. It is a little cheap feeling but definately less expensive than I thought it was going to be.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 3, 2012, 11:51 AM »

Best Figure:  Rebel Fleet Trooper, just because he was a top most Needed Resculpt for me.

Best Vehicle:  Landspeeder re-release.  I didn't have this version

Best Exclusive:  Based on Photos, I have to say Starspeeder.  I don't have one.  If it has to be one I have... Luke's TaunTaun...sorry I know price sux, but I choose it.

Best Multipack:  Search for Luke.

Looks Like we need a new catagory...

Best Retailer (for you personally).... Despite my Love for the Target stuff... Entertainment Earth is where I got more figures than anywhere else this year.  I don't have the time or excuses (no more diaper runs) to hit Brick and Mortar anymore.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2012, 03:18 PM by Paul »

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #20 on: January 3, 2012, 12:19 PM »
Best Figure:  Rebel Fleet Trooper

Best Vehicle:   Landspeeder (only vehicle I bought)

Best Exclusive:  Vintage boxed Landspeeder

Best Multipack:  Search for Luke Skywalker

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #21 on: January 3, 2012, 12:41 PM »
Best Figure: Bespin Han (although there are plenty out there I would like to buy but have never seen, and Han wouldn't have made my list if it erent for Paul).

Best Vehicle: I did not buy any vehicles this year.

Best Exclusive:  The Mail-away Boba Fett is really nice.

Best Multipack: Republic Commando set.  Those SA clones are really nice.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 3, 2012, 01:06 PM »
They sold Star wars figures this last year?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 3, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Despite the problems we all have with Hasbro, admittedly they've done an overall good job of keeping SW merchandise as relevant as any other hot new toy line, and even moreso.  But at some point, it will likely have to become a collector-only line, like NECA and such. Certain years have looked more like that than others, but it's inevitable I think.  A 30+ year old property is going to eventually become a nostalgia thing rather than support of new media- that's what it's been for me and many other collectors, since the line began.  I just wish Hasbro would acknowledge the support collectors have given this hobby: I don't care how many kids get their parent to buy a Vader figure, it pales in comparison to the dozens/hundreds of army builders many of us buy, year after year.

I have to agree.  The fact that they've kept the SW line going this long is impressive in and of itself, but I think - at least for the most part - they have really hit their stride with the figures lately.  Sure, there are always improvements that could be made, but I remember a time when almost every wave had at least one "stinker" of a figure that was really subpar in articulation, or sculpt, or action featurey, or something else.  Overall, the quality of the line has been pretty strong I think - distribution is another story of course.

I think you're right on with SW eventually becoming more of a specialty "collector" line.  We've all debated it before, but I really do think collectors carry a large portion of this line.  I wonder how much kids are still interested in Star Wars - particularly kids that aren't "kids of fans/collectors".  The window for action figures for kids seems much smaller these days, as they are getting into video games and other media much younger than we did.  I also really wonder how many of the "prequel" or CW generation will really stick with the stuff into their 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond like we have/do.  I've said it before, but I'll be in it in some capacity likely until the end - or at least as long as they continue to do new figures/updates from the movies (particularly the OT).  That being said, I think they could really cover a lot of what's left for many people by the time the 3D releases are wrapped up (if we see them all), or even before.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: January 3, 2012, 02:27 PM »
I also really wonder how many of the "prequel" or CW generation will really stick with the stuff into their 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond like we have/do.

We're about to find out.  Those "prequel kids" who were 6-9 when TPM hit in '99 are hitting their early 20s now.  Hasbro is hoping/banking that these 3D re-issues will be the catalyst that turn a lot of those 20-something prequel kids into the next generation of adult collectors.

Hasbro has talked quite a bit at the past few shows that we really are entering a new era in collecting.  We've got the old guard collectors, who've been in it for like 30 years; then you have the "new guard" prequel kids who are starting to his young adult hood as sort of the next generation of collectors; then you have the ongoing kids still being exposed thanks to their parents and Clone Wars on TV.

It should be interesting to see how it plays out.  Will those 20-something kids buy up Anakin/Sebulba Pod Racers they didn't get when they were kids out of nostalgia for the prequels like Hasbro is hoping they will or will they ignore the stuff?  Wait and see I guess...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 3, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Kinda hard to answer since I buy few toys and most are for my son, who absolutely is STILL into Star wars! If I had more extra cash we'd be getting a lot more than we have.
So for me, the best figure we got is the Rebel Fleet Trooper; overall he is a great looking toy, very well sculpted with the right amount of articulation. Coming with a removable helmet is a plus and then a second cap? Not bad at all. PLus being a figure WAY over due makes the RFT my figure of the year. CLosely followed by Zam Wesell and the AoTC vintage Mace windu who FINALLY looks like SLJ.
Multipack/battlepack would be the Republic Commando set.  Not only do they look really cool, with great articulation makes these commandos a figure they can build on and churn out multiple variations for years to come. Can anyone say Omega Squad? 
Vehicles - didn't buy any new ones this year.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"