Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!  (Read 101861 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 09:48 PM »
I open stuff too, but yeah - that card design is weak.

Jayson could whip up something a hell of a lot better than that in 30 minutes.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 11:00 AM »
If you guys haven't already seen the news, the first wave of Retaliation figures were found at a Meijer store in Fort Wayne Indiana last night.  Best news; the figures were only $6.97.  If that price carries over to Walmart and Target I'll be extremely happy.  It was troublesome that the current Renegades/30th figures bumped to $10.99 at Target and it still has me a little worried about the Retaliation figures, but this news is a little bit of relief.

Especially how Hasbro actually admitted in 2009 that they thought the RoC figures would have done better at a lower price. 

About half of that first wave will be a pass for me but I'm really interested in the GI Joe Trooper, Cobra Trooper w/ parachute and the Red Ninja.  Zartan is a possibility and while I do want a Rock as Roadblock figure, I don't know if that wave 1 version will be the best choice.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 01:15 PM »
"Cobra Staff Fires Missile"

At least that's what the wife tells me.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 03:02 PM »
Careful not to take out an eye.

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 11:01 AM »
did you guys see the new dollar store 25th style figures news that has broke over at general Joes?
I like them a LOT, I was just wanting a Snake eyes in that outfit the other day.
Digging that Steel brigade style shipwreck as well.
Heres hoping for a tele viper/ eel / BAT in that assortment.
because man there are LOTS of dollar stores around where I live and they will have so many I will end up army building on clearence.
http://generalsjoes.com/2012/04/16/some-mysterious-g-i-joe-retaliation-figures-still-to-come/

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25 AM »
I saw that as well on 16bit.com...very strange findings, but I'd dig on a few as well.   Also - I don't think you're going to find these for $1.00 at a dollar store.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2012, 01:59 PM »
I like that line way better than what they showed off for Retaliation.  If the price stays affordable, not all $1 stores sell everything for $1, I can see picking up a bunch of the Cobra Trooper and the Green Shirt.  I don't know if he's supposed to be a specific character, maybe Grunt (?), but a couple head swaps and he'd easily fill out the ranks.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2012, 03:45 PM »
I'd buy the Green Shirt, and Shipwreck.

I like those a lot...

For the most part, dollar stores are still cheap with their toys, so I'd probably be in on those.  I'd love to see STar Wars get a similar treatment in the dollar store aisles, haha.  Not likely to ever happen since it's an outside license and all, but it'd be neat to see kitbashes and stuff for older army builders, to make a quick extra couple bucks.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2012, 03:56 PM »
See these lil guys?  These are repacked 3" TF Legend size figures and they're also showing up at "dollar" stores, but they're asking $6 a piece for them.  Dollar General in this case...Not my find or pic, but copied from tfw.  Wouldn't mind picking up some of these new Joes for $1 but I don't think so - if I ever even see them.  Still....$6 is better then $10.99

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:58 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2012, 04:43 PM »
Back in 2004/2005 I drove to every Dollar General and CVS I could find to buy the single carded Valor vs Venom packs that Hasbro released.  I want to say they were like $2.99 or $3.99 back then and while the sculpts look kind of crappy by today's standards, they were really some of the top end figures back then.  The BAT figures and a couple others, Iron Grenadiers, maybe the Tele-Viper, still kind of hold up today.

If we're looking at $8.99 at Target for Retaliation figures and these things hit the Dollar stores (I'm guessing Dollar General because that's who Hasbro has partnered with before) for $5.99/$6 I'd be more than happy.  If they're more...I'll still get at least Shipwreck and the Green Shirt.  Possibly also get Storm Shadow (used as a generic ninja) and Snake Eyes but will probably pass on the rest.  CC isn't bad but I'd probably only buy the Cobra Trooper if I could army build about 6 or 8 of him.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Nerdrage Toys just posted the Retaliation figures for pre-order.  He's asking $10 each or a set of Wave 1 for $85.50 ($9.50 per).  He said on Twitter that was the good news, bad news was that "Hasbro raised the price."  So, I guess the $8.99 price found in the Target computers is probably going to be about right.

After Hasbro acknowledged their RoC line was probably too expensive, I was hoping they'd pull back for this movie.  They cut articulation, accessories and went with a cheap card back style (no individual art or file cards) so it seems like $9 per is kind of steep.  That's Star Wars pricing, not an in-house brand pricing, during a movie year.

E...

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40 PM »
I remember stocking up on a few ROC figures as soon as they hit, but then within 2-3 weeks, the price had dropped $2.  I'm hoping something like that happens with the Retaliation wave.

I'm insanely intrigued by these "Dollar Store" figures...

I've never even heard of Dollar General, and I don't think I have any "CVS" stores around me.  I'm going to have an aneurysm if I can't get a bunch of those black troopers and the black hooded CC.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25 PM »
I just think it's cool they decided to not be cheap by using the new Cobra Trooper mold.  If these are in Big Lots type of stores, awesome.  I think some of these will pretty popular.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Dollar General is pretty rough, Sprry...  In my area, espcially the farther you get from the city, stores like that get more common.  We have:

-Family Dollar
-Dollar Tree
-Dollar General
-Five Below
-Big Lots

And that doesn't get into discounters like:

-Marshall's
-TJ Maxx
-Ross Dress 4 Less
-Tuesday Morning

Some of the above cross over from discounter to dollar store type deals...

Dollar General is on the lower end of those type of stores, Family Dollar a little better, Big Lots a little better, and Five Below is among my favorite stops. 

Five Below's deal is everything is $5 or less, obviously.  Great store.  They cater to young people...  especially girls, but boys too.  They've got goofy **** like zombie family stickers for your car, discount toys (including Star Wars stuff of late), Legos, Playmobil, the weirdest and coolest selection of candy, including Japanese candy, you can find... 

Dollar General is pretty disturbing.  Some are bigger/better than others but they're really cheap stuff at sometimes not so great prices. 

Family Dollar is a mish mash of "that's a deal" and "that's a rip off".  They get some of the GI Joe figures like are being discussed...  I remember them having those VvV stuff and single packaged figures.

Big Lots is kind of big, and they're great for Power Team Elite of course, come August-ish time.  They're not bad for toys sometimes.  I got tons of Star Trek reboot figures for cheap at one point, including Uhura and Spock, to make a blue suit McCoy...  I got them for seats and consoles and some army building/customizing junk.

Dollar Tree is a traditional "Everything is a buck" store, and they're fairly common, shockingly clean, and they are good when you need random school supplies or some dumb **** and you don't want to pay a lot.  Crafting stuff and things of that nature.  I'm always amazed how decent and clean these stores are,
honestly.  Family Dollar is often clean too, which surprises me.  Big Lots are hit and miss on that issue.  Dollar General too, but often kind of a mess...  like the k-mart of dollar stores.

If I see any of this stuff I'll post details and help out whoever I can with it.

Big Lots, Family Dollar, and maybe 5 Below are my bets where this stuff might surface first.  Dollar General would be next.  I wouldn't count on it at a store that is honestly a dollar store.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2012, 04:07 AM »
Between Dollar General and Family Dollar, there's at least ten locations within fifteen miles. I stocked up on Sand Vipers and Tele-Vipers like crazy during the VVV days, so if these show up there, I should have access to quite a few of them. Assuming, of course, they get rid of those single-packs that lacked accessories from the waning days of the 25th line.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk