Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!  (Read 101872 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 07:36 AM »
I'm going to have to revise my toy run routes to look for some of these places.  I know about Big Lots; I get PTE stuff there from time to time, and got a lot of Indy stuff when it was being closed out there, including a couple of German trucks for something like $6 each.  I know there are "dollar" stores around here, I just don't know what they're called, though Family Dollar rings a bell.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2012, 11:25 AM »
I think Family Dollar was the store that had the 25th figures for cheap at the tail end of that run.  They may have had some of the VvV stuff also, but I found that mostly at CVS for the first two waves and then I think Dollar General had wave 3 and the two 12" figures (Mindbender and Bazooka) but I'd have to double-check.

I think Family Dollar might be a good bet this time around since they did the 25th figures. 

I agree on Five Below.  We just got a couple around here in the last few years but they do have some interesting stuff.  Including 25th Joes and those $5 Attack of the Clones wave figures recently.

I wish we had Ross seeing as they had such a large amount of cancelled Joe figures.  TJ Maxx has been okay, but Ross made out better IMO.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2012, 02:50 PM »
The problem with Ross/TJMaxx/Marshall's is they're hit and miss.  Fairly consistant, far more than a chain like Tuesday Morning (Again, in this family of stores, Tuesday Morning is the K-Mart of closeout stores), but some don't ever get the stuff people report finding.  It happens less than 50% of the time I'd estimate, but it does happen.

5 Belows are like fly dirt here now, and I love them.  I forgot they got 25th figures in too...  I get Card Model sets for like $1 a pack.

5 Below is worth going to just for the candy.  It's absurd.  choco rooms are great.

For Sprry's benefit too, CVS is a pharmacy, not a discounter.  I think you mentioned not having them around, but yeah, they're not like Family Dollar and stuff.  More like Walgreens or Rite Aid.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2012, 07:27 PM »
I thought CVS was a national chain?  Do they not have them where Sprry lives?  Sorry, I would have explained but I thought everyone knew wat CVS was.

Anyway, we used to have a Tuesday Morning here. I'd heard about them for a few years and then one opened, litterally, in back of my apartment.  They were definitley hit and miss, but they had some incredible deals on 12" GI Joe figures back when the 40th Anniversary stuff was getting clearanced.  I also found a bunch of hard to find Titanium Deluxe ships there, including the Battlestar Galactica ship that was a bitch to find.  They didn't last a real long time here and by the time they closed they'd really gone down hill as far as turning out anything interesting.  I did hear them mentioned again recently in relation to Joe or SW, I think, but I don't remember if that was here or another board.

On the Retaliation side, looks like General's Joes has some more info on the Amazon Retaliation preview pack also.  That set is a mixed bag also.  Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Roadblock and CC...but if the preview picture is any indication, it may be where that black Commander fig goes that we saw sell on eBay for $200.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2012, 11:12 PM »
If that pack has movie-accurate versions of those four, I think that might be able to skip the wave 1 versions. Hopefully we get pics of the figures soon.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 11:36 PM »
Yeah CVS isn't everywhere I'm pretty sure.  I had a buddy work for themf or a time and I THINK they're a Northeast thing for the most part.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 02:20 AM »
Joe K works for CVS, Jesse.  It's just such a big company around here I guess I just assumed it was a nation wide chain.

That Retaliation set from Amazon could actually be an excellent buy if, as you said II, the figures are movie accurate.  Especially if, in the case of Roadblock, he doesn't have that terrible Battle Kata hand like the wave 1 does.

Battle Kata...every time I read that I can't stop thinking about that terrible Christian Bale movie, Equilibrium, and it's "gun kata." I wan the Rock, as Roadblock, after having battle kataed his way out of a room full of Cobra soldiers to throw the People's Eyebrow at the camera and yell "Gun fu for the win!" and then carry on as if nothing happened.

E...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2012, 03:47 PM »
After seeing the new trailer, I really hope we get a Zartan with an alternate head of the president.  They should have done that for the first film.

It also looked like it showed Destro in the preview... guessing they'll make him.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Wow, I must have missed Destro. Where/what did you see? Was it in the domestic or international trailer?

I just checked IMDB and he isn't listed as a character, although I was surprised to see someone's brother shows up...
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I believe that is Destro walking toward Cobra Commander...?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2012, 09:24 PM »
I think it's a guy in a baclava...  I was thinking Firefly by the color.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2012, 10:27 PM »
I'm with Jesse on that one.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Maybe it is Firefly, I just was hoping for Destro because I don't see the zippers on the right shoulder of Firefly's jacket that we see in other preview shots and the head to me looks like it could go either way as whoever it is, is out of focus.  On any note, I hope it's Destro but I'm certainly not sure if it is or not.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2012, 12:10 PM »
I'm going with Firefly, too. It's pretty evident it's a balaclava and not Destro's chrome dome.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2012, 12:51 PM »
I think you guys are probably right.  I wanted that to be Destro.