Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!  (Read 101864 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Toys!
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2012, 02:53 PM »
I think you guys are probably right.  I wanted that to be Destro.

Hey, I agree. Maybe they want to highlight someone new (Firefly) without overwhelming people with baddies since they have to keep the Commander and Zartan in it. But yeah, Cobra isn't Cobra without Destro, Baroness and Bludd hanging out there as well.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2012, 04:24 PM »
And Scrap Iron...

And Wild Weasel...

And...  And...  Ugh.  :'(  I loves me some Cobra.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2012, 05:07 PM »
I'm kinda behind on stuff but saw the link below last week or so that showed some cancelled POC toxic playset type deal, but down at the bottom there were pics of a "Retaliation" Night Viper and Crimson Guard.....hope we see them.  Night Vipers ROCK..

http://www.joedeclassified.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=487
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2012, 07:47 PM »
The Crimson Guard and Night Viper are great, I'm sure they'll find a way to squeeze those in.

That playset though is horrid, in my opinion.  Stuff like that fails.  Hasbro has completely forgotten how to make cool environments across all their lines.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2012, 08:33 PM »
I'm kinda behind on stuff but saw the link below last week or so that showed some cancelled POC toxic playset type deal...

The design artwork was from 1990, a cancelled Eco-Warriors playset. They made the smaller Toxo-Lab set in 1992 instead.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2012, 09:07 PM »
The Crimson Guard and Night Viper are great, I'm sure they'll find a way to squeeze those in.

I thought these were shown off at Toy Fair and were definitely slated for the movie line?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2012, 02:45 AM »
The Crimson Guard and Night Viper were shown at Toy Fair and are scheduled for wave 5, I think...maybe W4.  But if the Retaliation line runs anything like the RoC line, we will never see anything past wave 2 anyway.  So I wouldn't count on ever seeing them at retail on Retaliation cards...but if you do, Surprise!

I have 0 faith in Hasbro's ability to execute a line of movie toys now.  Phantom Menace 3D, fail.  Captain America, fail. Thor, fail.  Transformers 3, fail.  Iron Man 2, fail. Rise of Cobra, fail.  Indiana Jones, fail.

I think the last sucessful movie lines for Hasbro were Transformers 1 and maybe 2 and the first Iron Man.  TF and IM were happy accidents where retail was actually kind of starved for toys that later was filled and TF2 had moderate success because they were more prepared.  But, by the time TF 2 and 3 came around it was more like the Optimus and Bumblebee show and that kind of hurt them IMO.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2012, 08:02 AM »
Avengers line seems to be doing pretty well in my area - so who knows???

one thing is for sure, you are right about all of the other movie lines.  So if they do get it right it is about damn time....

On the other hand, I just reminded myself of the wave 3 case assortment for the Avengers line - 3 hulks and 3 Iron Man figs...

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2012, 09:52 AM »
On the other hand, I just reminded myself of the wave 3 case assortment for the Avengers line - 3 hulks and 3 Iron Man figs...
I won't say that having a bunch of IM and Hulks is a bad idea yet, depending on the success of the movie.  While we see failure in not being able to get a particular figure, I am sure a bigger failure would be a child not being able to get a core character, like IM, and passing on the line entirely.  Pegs full of Loki and aliens and Nick Fury don't help anyone.

That said, I do not disagree that Hasbro has botched this stuff over and over.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2012, 10:37 AM »
I thought Hasbro's best work out of the last few years was the ROC stuff - I didn't have any trouble finding anything except the "cancelled" mini vehicles at the tail end of the line.  There was a lot of variety in the line too (which is something they just can't seem to want to do with the Super Hero lines). 

But given the actual movie reference material, they had around 50 or so basic figures, which is outstanding... the only issues I had was there were so many versions of Storm Shadown... and not a figure of the president, and hell, why not make a Secret Service agent?  Wouldn't that have rocked?  And maybe Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow as kids?  Wow, that would have been outstanding.  I'd have been all for Scarlett with her motorcycle too. 

But overall, the ROC line had some really cool stuff in it.  Just a lot of the first wave or so was overproduced.  I don't think demand was there either as so much hit clearance, but the line was far, far better than anything from Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, etc.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2012, 12:43 PM »
I'm not calling the Avengers line a failure yet, as I said over in the Marvel boards, they seem to be selling here so far.  But I'll hold judgement until we actually see stuff beyond wave 1 at retail.  I agree that they need to have Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and Cap out there for people, but if we don't see the bad guys (beyond Loki) or the expanded team (Widow, Hawkeye, Fury, etc) at retail then it'll be a problem.

I agree with Chewie, there were a lot of good figures in the RoC line, but the first two waves were so overstocked that I had a really hard time finding a lot of the later waves.  And there was so much stuff cancelled or shuffled off to Ross stores it's amazing Hasbro actually continued on with producing the Pursuit of Cobra and 30th Anniversary stuff (which had it's own problems with distribution).

I really have no idea what to expect from the Retaliation line.  I know I don't like the card art at all but have no clue if that will actually impact sales.  I also don't know what the case packs look like beyond wave 1 but you know they're gonna hammer us with Roadblock and Snake Eyes figures.  At least Storm Shadow looks better than the (mostly) losers we got for RoC (which can STILL be found at TJ Maxx).

After seeing that new trailer I'm pretty much convinced that (spoiler) Walt Goggins (/spoiler) will be the new Commander.

E...

"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2012, 02:21 PM »
I won't say that having a bunch of IM and Hulks is a bad idea yet, depending on the success of the movie.  While we see failure in not being able to get a particular figure, I am sure a bigger failure would be a child not being able to get a core character, like IM, and passing on the line entirely.  Pegs full of Loki and aliens and Nick Fury don't help anyone.

That said, I do not disagree that Hasbro has botched this stuff over and over.

I think it's a mistake to keep pounding Iron Man over and over considering I can go into any retailer and still find a ton of Iron Man 2 figures, all of Iron Man in the same basic armor... why not a Tony Stark figure without the armor?  Or some of Loki's guards?  It's just too much of same characters over and over with the super hero movie lines.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2012, 08:43 PM »
yup.  My TRU had like 5 pegs full of Iron Man 2 movie figs on display up front by the Avenger stuff.

They only had about 5 figures from the Iron Man 2 comic line

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Went by a store today called Vintage Stock in St. Louis (Chesterfield Mall) as I heard a tip that they had some of the new movie figures.

What I saw:

Basic Figures ($9.99)
- Snake Eyes  x 1
- Storm Shadow x 1

Deluxe Motorcycles ($14.99)
- Snake Eyes x 6
- Firefly x 6

Battle Packs ($19.99)
- Cobra Ninja, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow x 2
- Kamukara, Roadblock, Beachhead x 2

Vehicles ($24.99)
- AWE Striker (Snake Eyes) x 2

I picked up the Cobra Ninja set for my son, that's what he wanted.  I'll upload a couple pics when I get a chance. But overall, I thought these looked really cool.  And if standard retail can keep the prices on the basic figures down, this line could be a real hit.  The deluxes were lame though in my opinion and are destined for clearance.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Damn, I would have loved to get those 3-packs for $20 apiece. Those look like some of the best items in the line, especially in terms of price/value.