Author Topic: Super Hero / Comic Book TV Development  (Read 30114 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Super Hero / Comic Book TV Development
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2015, 01:42 AM »
Yeah it will, but it was a very cool episode
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Preacher female lead cast

I'm a big fan of her in SHIELD.  It'll be interesting to see if she can pull off a character who's less stable.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Tulip is Caucasian.

:(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 09:44 AM »
Ruth Negga is half Irish.  Is the fact that she isn't blonde really going to kill the series for you?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2015, 09:30 AM »
No, I won't be watching either way, I recall Preacher being about futuristic vampires and i think they already made that movie a few years ago.

I just don't like this trend of casting against type.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Actually, vampires have very little to do with Preacher (other than his best mate being a vampire - a classical one allergic to sun and drinking blood).  The main story is about a disillusioned minister who gets possessed by the offspring of an unnatural celestial coupling, which grants him the power of command.  Basically anything he says, you do.  And if you piss him off, he might command you to count every grain of sand on a beach.  He and his pals decided to go and find God, encountering all manner of insanity along the way.  It was a rip-roaring yarn.

I wouldn't call this casting "against type."  All I really recall of Tulip was that she was a junkie, abrasive, and competent.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Just for the record, Ruth Negga is tremendous. I've loved her since Breakfast on Pluto and the fact she's Irish only runs up the score. As far as the casting against type, I don't have a problem with any of it really. I'm a fan of Dr. Who and though that's a show that really needs and is probably going to get some against type casting next go around, it has really promoted the fluidity of character. The Doctor's changing appearance is integral to his character but it speaks to the mutating nature of mythic characters. Preacher isn't mythic but a lot of characters who could get cast variably are (Spider-Man, for instance) and that's kind of cool actually.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2015, 10:58 AM »
I've watched the first couple of episodes of Daredevil on Netflix so far.  I like the grittiness and local feel of the show thus far.  But I want to get through the whole season before I say much more.

As for other current Comic/TV projects?  I'm seriously wondering if Disney/ABC is going to renew Agents of SHIELD, even with all of the Inhumans rumblings that have been taking place ever since the show came back from winter hiatus.  It seems pretty obvious that there's going to be a significant tie-in with Avengers - Age of Ultron.  The mentions of Strucker/Hydra have made that very clear.  But will that give the show the type of boost that we saw with Captain America - The Winter Soldier?  I'm curious to see how that will play out.  I still think that the show would benefit greatly from a shorter season structure, and that a 20+ episode season really does have the potential to stretch these storylines thin.

I also think that Agents of SHIELD could also benefit greatly if it occasionally brought in Fury, Romanov or Barton.  Not in a gratuitous way.  But in some organic way that moves the series forward while also tying things into the cinematic universe.  Because even though they like using this tag line "It's all connected", sometimes it feels like it isn't, and the movies are VERY seperate from the television series.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:06 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2015, 02:00 PM »
I've read SHIELD is a lock for renewal.  Carter is "on the bubble" as they say.  Hoping they bring it back.

I just caught up on SHIELD after Celebration, and I thought this season has been pretty fantastic.  Episode before last they were killing it with the heart strings. 

I see the same thing with Ultron.  I'm guessing they locate Von Strucker after getting List, and call in the big guns.  I'm hoping for a cameo from Cap or Stark, but don't know if that'll happen.  They're in a tough spot working in main characters - from a contract standpoint.  If Black Widow shows up in the show, that'd count as one of her appearances (as I understand things).  And they can't really volunteer to show up due to guild rules. 

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2015, 08:42 PM »
I hope they bring back Agent Carter. That was really good.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2015, 08:24 AM »
I also think that Agents of SHIELD could also benefit greatly if it occasionally brought in Fury, Romanov or Barton.  Not in a gratuitous way.  But in some organic way that moves the series forward while also tying things into the cinematic universe.  Because even though they like using this tag line "It's all connected", sometimes it feels like it isn't, and the movies are VERY separate from the television series.

Agreed - I personally feel that just mentioning characters & events is going to wear really thin, really fast. It's NOT "all connected" if you can't open up the purse strings of the franchise that is making you billions just so you don't have to pay one or two of the movie actors to make an appearance.

I thought for sure last year (before Winter Soldier) with How I Met Your Mother ending, that we'd see Colbie Smulders join the case of Agents of Shield, something like that would have given AoS serious cred - and what did they do? Have it end in Winter Soldier where she goes and works for Stark. What?!?! I'm sorry, but if there was ever an actress who they should have been able to work out joining AoS it was her. If there is truly still a TV vs. Movies mentality in Hollywood, it's pretty hard to get high-and-mighty that you're "not a TV actress" when you just ended a run on a TV show - so clearly the reason it was written that way was because they couldn't work out a $$$ deal with getting her on AoS.

And either Hawkeye should have been in Winter Soldier or he should have made a few appearances on AoS this season - there were plenty of chances for them to show how he fit in with the Fall of SHIELD, they just didn't want to pay Renner his fee.

And don't even get me started about how there was supposedly a Coulson scene shot for Daredevil that ended up on the cutting room floor. The show is on Netflix. There are no commercials, you're not aiming for a 1-hour time slot, your episodes can be as long as you want - and the one thing that connects Daredevil to the rest of the MCU is left on the cutting room floor? That's crap. (Yes, I understand the connections made in the 1st episode about how the office was a cheap rent cause it's where some serious damage took place in the first Avengers, and yes, Fisk's organization was making money hand over fist with lucrative rebuilding contracts from fixing the city - but that doesn't mean I want to see a show called Bob Vila: Fixer of Chitauri Damage - there was damage made to the city of New York when Loki and Chitauri attacked, the first Avengers movie made that obvious, for anyone to say that unscrupulous building development organizations wouldn't have taken advantage of the clean-up process clearly doesn't know anything about the New York/New Jersey area)

I'm hopeful that things will get better when it comes to Captain America: Civil War - if they DON'T work in Quake, Hyde, Mockingbird, Daredevil, Luke Cage & Jessica Jones (all of whom would have been seen by that point in time) to add to the super heroes who pick sides, then I think people are going to start giving up on the TV side of the MCU.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #57 on: September 9, 2015, 04:41 PM »
http://deadline.com/2015/09/preacher-picked-up-series-amc-1201519616/

Preacher picked up to series by AMC.

And people thought Walking Dead was extreme...

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Supergirl premiere tonight! At 8:30? Screw you, CBS. I watch Gotham.

Supergirl...all you had you wasted!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2015, 12:38 AM »
I saw the pilot o Supergirl when it leaked a few months back and enjoyed it.  I'll at least give the first few episodes a shot.

I really had to force myself to get through the first season of Gotham....I started to record season 2, but just couldn't bring myself to watch it anymore.
This is the way.

I have spoken.