Author Topic: Super Hero / Comic Book TV Development  (Read 30130 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero / Comic Book TV Development
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2015, 07:44 AM »
Just for the sake of making it a 2 - 1 lead in favor of "Gotham" in the last three posts, I watch and enjoy Gotham.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Supergirl premiere tonight! At 8:30? Screw you, CBS. I watch Gotham.

Supergirl...all you had you wasted!

Who watches live TV anymore?  Unless it's Steelers football or The Walking Dead, it's DVR for me.

As far as Supergirl goes, watching the extended trailer was more than enough to show me this thing would be excruciating.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2015, 11:50 AM »
As far as Supergirl goes, watching the extended trailer was more than enough to show me this thing would be excruciating.

The trailer was too much for me. I watched the leaked episode & skimmed thru last nites premier at work... I can't see it lasting long..

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2015, 01:39 PM »
Watched Supergirl off the DVR last night. Unless my wife and I both spaced on when we started, the hour long program took us 36 minutes to get through and we didn't "skip" anything. 36 minutes of content in a 60 minute time slot. Seriously?

I'm going to keep giving the show a chance, but the extended 5-6 minute trailer essentially gave you 14-17% of the entire episode - so it was disappointing not getting much more than I already saw in that trailer.

To make matters worse, that extended trailer also took you through the entire plot of the pilot beat-for-beat. So where was the extra time taken up? Longer conversations between Cat and Kara, the conversation where she meets Jimmy was longer, a post-script scene revealing who the "evil mastermind" of the series is and Kara getting ditched during her blind-date. Other than that, for example the montage of her and her friend trying out superhero outfits and her first efforts at being a crime fighter that appeared in the extended trailer was lifted directly from the show itself with ZERO trimming - that more than anything else was the most disappointing, I genuinely was hoping to see more trial and error on Kara's part as she was "figuring things out".

Nice little nod to past Superman/Supergirl franchises with making her adoptive human parents Dean Cain (Lois & Clark) and Helen Slater (Supergirl movie) - would be nice to have them do something more than smile and nod like they did in the pilot episode - so I hope them being in the pilot wasn't just a one-and-done kind of thing...

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2015, 02:02 PM »
I dropped Gotham as well.  There are a two or three actors in it that I really enjoyed, but there was so much other garbage I didn't like that it wasn't a fair trade-off.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2015, 10:41 AM »
Supergirl premiere tonight! At 8:30? Screw you, CBS. I watch Gotham.

Supergirl...all you had you wasted!

I want to want to see this, but the ads didn't look great to me.  The actress is too spunky and seems to be a high cheese factor.

I'm also bothered that they chose "Kara Danvers" as her name.  I'm not a big DC guy, but I believe it's supposed to be Linda Lee Danvers or Kara Zor-El.  Marvel has been building up to it's Ms. Marvel introduction with "Carol Danvers," so now it's going to look to the casual fan like Marvel is copying Supergirl if the show actually takes off.  They even go so far as to call Kara "Agent Danvers" in one of the trailers, when Carol Danvers from marvel is referred to as "Agent Danvers" from SHIELD.  I call Shenanigans!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2015, 11:22 AM »
We watched it last night.  Not great, not terrible. Definitely trying to be a "fun" show - much more "Adventures of Lois and Clark" than Arrow or Gotham.

I'll give it a few more tries to see if it gets better now that the set-up pilot stuff is out of the way.

I'm also bothered that they chose "Kara Danvers" as her name.  I'm not a big DC guy, but I believe it's supposed to be Linda Lee Danvers or Kara Zor-El.

Kara Zor-El is her true name.  Kara Danvers is her secret/earth identity name.  Yeah, comic Supergirl used Linda Danvers but I can understand simplifying that for TV and keeping the first name the same.

They even go so far as to call Kara "Agent Danvers" in one of the trailers, when Carol Danvers from marvel is referred to as "Agent Danvers" from SHIELD.  I call Shenanigans!

"Agent Danvers" on the show is actually Kara's adoptive sister Alex Danvers.  She works for the DEO, which is very much a DCU-style version of SHIELD.

And of course there are shenanigans.  There have been for years and years between DC and Marvel.  Of course DC is trying to cash in on the groundwork laid by Marvel movies.

Are they similar in name?  Sure, but that street goes both ways.  It's entirely possible that Marvel chose the last name "Danvers" for their new blond super-heroine in the late 60s because they were trying to copy Supergirl.  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Revenge from the 60s < 2015 Marketing Ploy.  And I'm not in any way biased towards Marvel.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2015, 10:35 PM »
Supergirl seems OK to me as long as the show doesn't get too WB-Buffy. I kept wondering why doesn't Superman or someone from the Shield ripoff group teach her to fight? Using the line, "I'm a girl. Don't kill me." was dumb. That Klingon alien would have been laughed off the planet if he didn't kill himself. Dean Cain and Helen Slater would have been better as the two main bad guys instead of her adopted parents.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:36 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2016, 01:25 PM »
Preacher premiere date - May 22 at 10 PM.

An encore presentation of the pilot episode will air the following Sunday, May 29, with back-to-back airings beginning at 9 PM. New episodes will resume Sunday, June 5 at its regular 9 PM time slot.

So I guess it's going to premiere after the finale of Fear the Walking Dead, then take over the prime 9 PM slot.  I'm skipping Fear this time around - season 1 was garbage, and I can't imagine the characters are gonna get any better.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2016, 09:42 AM »
Two Marvel shows gone/no longer green-lit: Agent Carter dies twice in a month and Most Wanted doesn't make the little screen. 

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Chloe Bennett was shooting he mouth off about how the TV is second fiddle to the films.  I'd give AoS one more season at best.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2016, 11:59 PM »
Anyone watch PREACHER?

Not familiar with the comics at all. Seemed a mess o'weird to me, but enough to get me to watch again.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2016, 01:01 AM »
Anyone watch PREACHER?

Not familiar with the comics at all. Seemed a mess o'weird to me, but enough to get me to watch again.

That's Garth Ennis for ya!  I heard that Cinemax has picked up another one of his titles...The Boys.  If you haven't read it, it's worth a look!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2016, 08:03 AM »
The Preacher books were ahead of their time when it comes to irreverence and just nasty stuff.  I read the first 50 or so issues back when I was in college, and they were wild.  Great characters, too.  I can't imagine they'd be able to bring that stuff to screen without heavy editing, but then it's AMC so who knows.

I had to DVR the premiere - gonna watch it tonight.