Multimedia > Star Wars Universe

Lucas NY Times Interview

<< < (2/4) > >>

Nicklab:
I can't say that I blame him in the least.  After hearing "George Lucas raped my childhood" from way too many fanboys, why should he subject himself to more of that crap?  It's become an abusive relationship where the fanboys have not grown to understand George Lucas's philosophy on filmmaking, and the spirit of innovation that he has used to move the film industry forward.  He improved visual effects.  He improved audio and visual presentation.  He's been a driving force with CGI and animation.  And he and Steven Spielberg essentially created the blockbuster.  And in that spirit of innovation he has been guilty of trying to improve things in the movies where he originally felt like he had to compromise.  That has not been as well received.

In contrast, what are the credentials of his detractors?  It's all well and good to sit back as an amateur critic, but when you criticise someone's work, you had best have something to bring to the table.  Because at the end of the day, how many of these fanboys have become filmmakers and have made something better?  Where are their mountains of credits as screenwriters, directors, producers, etc?  GL has definitely inspired a good number of people to get into filmmaking, but I suspect that they're not the ones who spend many a waking hour on the TFN message boards pouring over every flaw they perceive in someone else's film.  On the contray:  they've been inspired by Star Wars but are embracing their own creativity to do something new.

I have always felt that Lucas faced an uphill battle with the Prequels.  Because he brought the films to kids, and they loved them.  Having that kind of baggage of living up to a generation's worth of expectations is something that almost nobody could accomplish.

Scott:
Good point on the kids, Nick.  As has been brought up many times, most prequel era kids love the prequels...I have two of them in my house.  They would much rather watch EpI, II or CW over the OT.

Jesse James:
I think the 3-D releases will be interesting, and very telling about the differences in the two trilogy generations.

As far as the article, I see things both ways ultimately...  If Lucas wanted to satisfy his fans, who have supported him pretty obviously now for many years, he could do so with a high-def release of the original theatrical releases of the Original Trilogy.  That he doesn't, is somewhat insulting to his fan base.  They have the right to feel slighted by him I think.

At the same time I've always felt it's his movie to do with as he pleases, and in many cases I like the upgrades.  I feel in the minority, but I like the expanded Yavin battle (and wish Hoth and Endor would both get expanded!  Especially the latter), I like SE Jabba and think it adds to the story.  I like Vader leaving Bespin.

Sure I don't like Han shooting first, or Jedi rocks, or Luke's "no" that is no longer there, but I like CGI Yoda in TPM, and I don't mind Vader's "no" on the Death Star II (wish they'd do something with his "no" in ROTS because it's horrid to the point of parody).

So for me it's just a mixed bag...  I find Lucas, in the interview, fairly pompous, especially towards those who ultimately made him by supporting him.  "Fanboys" are just fans too, and no better/worse than anyone on any forum like this IMO.  But if Lucas and his ardent critics could learn to see each other's POV, it'd be nice.

Lucas should be able to see that, to a child, that original viewing of the Original Trilogy in theaters means more to them than he gives credit.  He could throw them a bone (and make many, very happy) with HD releases of the original edits then.  Likewise, fans have to just accept that he is who he is, and they're his films to do with as he pleases.

The fan edits are great too...  Well, the one for ANH (and ESB coming eventually I guess) is anyway, and I appreciate it just as well.  It earned a spot on my DVD shelf right next to my copy of the latest DVD's of the saga, which will soon be joined by a copy of the Saga on Blu Ray...  I'd like that HD original edit too though.  I'm not hating Star Wars because it isn't there though, either.

If Lucas feels like "Well I'll show you", with his retiring, well so be it...  That's on him.  He isn't important enough to me, personally, to care really.  I didn't expect more Star wars films anyway, and I'm perfectly happy with SW on TV (I love both incarnations of Clone Wars and look forward to the live-action show and maybe other shows down the road).

TPM still sucks. :) 

I like all the rest though, and yeah I'll still watch TPM.  It's still part of the story.

Dan:
Well said Jesse. Couldn't agree more- They are his movies, period. No matter what I like or don't like about any given iteration.

He could make legions happy (and quiet) by throwing them the HD non SE OT.

I think it will happen eventually anyhow, but would rather it be done out of a spirit of generosity than spite or resentment. 

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Dan on January 18, 2012, 03:28 PM ---I think it will happen eventually anyhow, but would rather it be done out of a spirit of generosity than spite or resentment.

--- End quote ---

Does anyone know who has the rights to Star Wars after Lucas passes?  It strikes me that eventually someone else is going to control his creation, and when that happens I think anything is fair game.  More movies, sequels, other timelines in the SW EU are all possible, but not likely to happen until he is out of the way.  I still marvel at how Lucas had the insight to ask for merchandising rights, knowing he could make a fotune on the fan base, but then so purposely alienates them any chance he gets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version