Author Topic: Chronicles of Narnia  (Read 28179 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2008, 09:22 AM »
According to an online source, Disney may shelve the Narnia series of movies after the third one (Voyage of the Dawn Treader) to focus on a new John Carter of Mars franchise instead.  I'm sure it all depends on how Prince Caspian and the following movie(s) do at the box office though.  If they continue to rake in the type of money that the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe did, I'd think they would change their tune.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2008, 09:39 AM »
You know, I've read the entire series and I liked the first film well enough but honestly, if they don't make the whole series, I'm not going to be very disappointed.

The first film/book, Prince Caspian and Voyage are the ones that I liked the best.  After that I had to force myself to power through the rest of the novels.  Even if they made the films I don't know if I'd stick with the series for all 7 installments.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2008, 09:41 AM »
I didn't think LWW did all that well that is why Disney is nervous about this one. Personally I think this one is a better story and introduces the main character for the next two movies. I wonder what the odds are of getting all of the books as movies by someone. I don't think its ever been done? Did the BBC make all of the books into TV movies?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2008, 10:13 AM »
I didn't think LWW did all that well that is why Disney is nervous about this one.

I'm not sure of the exact worldwide number, but the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was the number 2 movie of 2005 here in the U.S. (behind Revenge of the Sith), with over $291 million at the box office.  I haven't read all of the books either, so I'm not sure how well the rest would be as movies - but I'm interested in seeing the next couple at least.  I don't expect Prince Caspian to do as well as LWW, there's a lot of competition in May with Indy, Iron Man, and Speed Racer.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2008, 11:04 AM »
speed racer?  really??  that looks like an instant flop to me.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2008, 11:33 AM »
Yeah, I'm not excited for Speed Racer either, but I think its considered a "major release" at this point - at least from a marketing standpoint.  I'm with you though, it looks like a flop to me too - then again, I didn't think Alvin and the Chipmunks would make $200 million either :).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:34 AM by Brian »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Lion made $290 million in the US but it made over $450 million on the foreign market.  It was a pretty solid money maker and I would think that if Caspian keeps up with it the producers will be more likely to go further than the first three or so films.

Brian is right, there's a lot of competition this year and Caspian may have trouble keeping up in the US but if the international numbers are still huge it might be enough.  Plus don't count out the DVD sales.  While the theater may be crowded this summer, the DVD sales could make up for it later in the year.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2008, 11:07 AM »
It's all about the openning weekend numbers only. If it doesn't do as well as Lion did during that time, it doesn't matter how much more it makes during the rest of its release and DVD sales. Disney will still look at it as a failure. That is why Cars and Ratatuoie are not considered blockbusters by Disney because they didn't do as well as the Incredibles.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2008, 07:05 PM »
^You sure about that, though?

I was under the impression that over time most movies earn more from DVD sales than from the theatrical run, unless it is a blockbuster hit.

Either way, DVD sales and licensing inarguably make up a huge portion of film profits and the suits would be stupid not to take that overall picture into consideration.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:06 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2008, 08:54 AM »
New full trailer for Prince Caspian is up at IGN.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2008, 09:15 AM »
well now that looks a little more like something i'd like to see.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2008, 04:07 PM »
So, is anyone heading out to Prince Caspian this weekend?  I finished reading the book a month or so back, and it wasn't too bad.  I can't say I enjoyed it as much as the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe though.  That said, I'd still like to see the movie.  With our little one now, getting out to movies is more of a premium - and we're heading to Indy next week - so I might have to wait for the DVD of this one.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2008, 04:32 PM »
I havn't been out to the movies in years thanks to the little people that have invaded my home.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2008, 07:33 PM »
I'm probably going to skip it.  I'm going to Indy next week and I'm seriously thinking of going to Iron Man again.  If I do that I don't think I'll bother with Caspian.

The film does look good though, and while I think both Iron Man and Indy have the potential to burry it, it should do some good box office.

E...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2008, 10:48 AM »
The film does look good though, and while I think both Iron Man and Indy have the potential to burry it, it should do some good box office.

Yeah, it really just has this week to do good numbers - as I'd really think its going to be all about Indy next week (or for the next few maybe).  Plus, like you mentioned, Iron Man is getting that good word of mouth to get new business each weekend.  I think they might have been better off releasing this (Prince Caspian) in December, like the previous Narnia movie.  That one did just fine in that time frame, and the competition isn't nearly as bad that time of year.