Author Topic: Chronicles of Narnia  (Read 28173 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Chronicles of Narnia
« on: August 4, 2003, 11:34 AM »
Anyone read these books?  

I read a blurb in USA Today a couple weeks back that they are adapting the first Book..."The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" to the big screen.

Some of my favorite books as kid I was happy to hear that (I suppose to try and capatilize on the LOTR and Harry potter trend)...not sure if I am alone out there in a sea of literary geekdom though.

To be honest, I didn't read all of the books either, the first one is one of my alltime favorites though and the highlight of 4th grade for me :-*
« Last Edit: August 4, 2003, 11:35 AM by OCB »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2003, 11:36 AM »
Here is the official website

http://www.narnia.com/

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2003, 12:43 PM »
Never heard of them before, but you got me interested.  I'll have to check those out next time I head over to Barnes & Noble.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2003, 12:53 PM »
Box Set at Amazon

The story arc is very allegorical to the Bible, CS Lewis was a biblical scholar and good friends with Tolkien

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2003, 12:58 PM »
Hot diggity, I was doing the Boston Globe crossword during lunch today and one of the clues was "CS Lewis setting".  I for the life of me couldn't figure it out and now I know.

As you can tell, I've never heard of this and now I'm mildly interesting.  
« Last Edit: August 4, 2003, 03:04 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 4, 2003, 01:52 PM »
Funny, but ever since I was a little kid - probably less than 10 years old, I had been toting around the box sets of books for both the LOTR series (w/ The Hobbit) and the Chronicles of Narnia series (7 books) from C.S. Lewis.  My goal was always to read through them all, but as far as I ever got as a youth was finishing the Hobbit and about a third of the way through FOTR in the Tolkien series, and through the first 3 books of the C.S. Lewis series.  As an avid "completist", it always drove me nuts to look up at my bookshelf and see these two boxsets mocking me - "ha-ha, you can't finish us!!"   :P

Well, in about my 5th year of college, I didn't have too much lined up for the summer, so I said the hell with this, I'm reading those 11 books from cover to cover, starting RIGHT NOW!  Since the Narnia books are MUCH easier, lighter and shorter reading, I went with that set first.  Zipped through all 7 rather quickly.  My mom (who's quite religious) had given me a book long ago, discussing all the parallels between the Narnia books, and the Bible/God/etc., so I kept up with that book as well, as I went through the Narnia series.  Interesting stuff, and certainly a great series of books (though it's written for a younger audience)...

Then I finally jumped back over to the Tolkien series.  The Hobbit went quickly (for the 3rd time), but the LOTR trilogy took a while, as it's a bit tougher read.  Finally made it through the rest of that series (with Summer to spare  8)), thus lifting a terrible weight off my shoulders that had resided there for at least 15 years.  Though now that the LOTR flicks have come out, my books are mocking me again to re-read them now that I've seen the movies...

The first Narnia book, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, has been in the movie planning stages for years now.  Glad to finally see it moving forward.  Should be very interesting to see how it turns out, and what type of audience and feedback it garners, especially considering this one, MUCH more than the other books in the series, STRONGLY parallels the Christian religion.  I'll certainly be watching it on the big screen!   8)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: August 4, 2003, 05:44 PM »
Sorta in the same boat Matt, I read the first two for sure and most of the third I think but haven't touched them again.

Reason I brought this up was because me mama and papa brought over a truck load of stuff last spring to get it out of their basement..

Yesterday was full of reminiscing and I came across my sets of books and I remembered the article.

I think I will be inserting these in my book sequence

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2003, 09:41 AM »
I just ordered a new book from barnes and noble...it is a complete work in one volume, in a different order than what the originals were numbered...

Complete Chronicles of Narnia

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2003, 04:22 PM »
I've read the first two. They seemed okay to me. I might get back into reading them some day.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: August 8, 2003, 04:52 PM »
I just ordered a new book from barnes and noble...it is a complete work in one volume, in a different order than what the originals were numbered...

Cool.  Make sure you read 'em all this time!  I don't quite understand how they can start out with any other book other than The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe though, since that's where the kids first enter Narnia...   ???

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 8, 2003, 05:02 PM »
Do any of you remember the cartoon mini series of this book, I vaguely remember watching it as a kid?
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 8, 2003, 11:35 PM »
This is driving me crazy:  the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia is and always has been "The Magician's Nephew", not the more famous "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: August 8, 2003, 11:43 PM »
Right, the old school way had LWatW #1, they have since changed it so it makes more sense chronology wise...MN deals with the creation of Narnia, correct?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 9, 2003, 12:24 AM »
Yes, Magician's Nephew explains how they discovered/entered Narnia, which is why they call it #1 in the series. :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline obi 1 L kenobi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 9, 2003, 09:16 PM »
On a side note, it was the weirdness of the editing (LWatW being #1 instead of MN is one small example) that formed a wedge between Lewis and Tolkien's friendship, at least for a time.  Apparently Tolkien thought Lewis should have paid a little more attention to detail and consistancy and Lewis just cranked them out.
Still I've always thought they were a fun read and great interpretations of many of the stories in the Bible.  I work with kids and I'm always encouraging them to read the Narnia series (as well as LotR and Harry Potter).