Author Topic: 2012 TPM Multi-Troop Transport (MTT)  (Read 114845 times)

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
Re: 2012 TPM Multi-Troop Transport (MTT)
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Anybody seen a good picture of the cockpit yet? I've seen one where you can kind of look into it from the side, but that's about it.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Not sure if any of these are what you're looking for...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2012, 02:27 PM »
I've been outta the loop - So the droids don't actually fold up like they are in the movie?  I know it includes 20 static droids or whatever, but that was probably the coolest aspect of the vehicle - besides being a big brown turd of course.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2012, 02:42 PM »
I've been outta the loop - So the droids don't actually fold up like they are in the movie?  I know it includes 20 static droids or whatever, but that was probably the coolest aspect of the vehicle - besides being a big brown turd of course.   :)

No, they don't fold. So no cool coat rack feature.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2012, 04:43 PM »
That's a bummer. I thought the new foldable battledroids were specifically designed to work with this thing.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2012, 04:44 PM »
You CAN rack folded droids works with this it just does not come with them.

I think this is going to rot on shelves like the Shuttle but only worse. $140? I can't see the average schmoe plunking down for this it does not look agressive at all. Do kids really want to dispense BD's? TPM basically flopped so I questions their wisdom on banking on this. I will buy one to support the line but that's it. (Yeah, where is the sailbarge? I want a place for all of those Jabba goons to hang out.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:47 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Remember in 2000 when TPM almost killed the Star Wars line completely? This MTT is going to remind you all about it.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Dude, TPM did not "basically flop" It's the 5th highest money making film of all time.  It sold a sh#t ton of product.  The problem was that Hasbro and everyone thought it would sell a double-sh#t ton.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2012, 08:50 PM »
I think JACK maybe meant TPM3D flopped?

The original TPM was a big money-maker, but the toy sales were ultimately a bad thing.  Overproduced.  I don't think anyone's arguing that really, but TPM the original release did well...  3D, I think it did well enough I guess, but I think Star Wars is wearing out its welcome some.  It has been doing that for a while.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27 PM »
With all the features on the MTT I do think that it's a really fun toy.  The folding rack is pretty cool and seems to work well.  Eventhough not all of the Battle Droids are articulated (16 are static, 4 have articulation) they look pretty good coming out of the vehicle.

Is $140 worth it?  That's up to the individual. I think there's enough toy there to make it worth that price, but I don't know if there's a market there for a $140 toy.  I don't have the money or the space for it, but I do like it well enough that if those two strikes against it were removed, I'd buy one even at full price.

Having a 13-year-old movie open to $23 million in February? That's pretty good, actually.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of staying power it has this coming weekend since it's a holiday and kids should have a 3 day weekend.

I don't think the MTT will kill the Star Wars toy line, but it could kill our chances at a 2014 large vehicle.  The Shuttle may have already done in the 2013 release, but it may be too early to tell on that.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2012, 06:19 AM »

I don't think the MTT will kill the Star Wars toy line, but it could kill our chances at a 2014 large vehicle.  The Shuttle may have already done in the 2013 release, but it may be too early to tell on that.

E...

The shuttle was just flat out a bad choice.  I've been collecting Star Wars figures for 32 years and I flat out don't even know what a Republic Shuttle is.  I'm guessing it's from the Clone Wars cartoon but have not even taken the 30 seconds needed to google that yet.  I passed on it all the time at full price, and there have been a pile of them in the clearance aisle at my Walmart for $30 or so and I still don't want it.  If those were AT-TEs or AT-ATs or something iconic that size at $30 I'd have put the entire pile in my shopping cart.

I will actually be buying one MTT at full price the first time I see it.  I will consider additional MTTs after price reductions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:21 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2012, 09:06 AM »
Yeah, to be clear, I was talking about the product killing the line, not the movie. It did get a little dire there for a while before POTJ helped to pick things up again.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Dude, TPM did not "basically flop" It's the 5th highest money making film of all time.  It sold a sh#t ton of product.  The problem was that Hasbro and everyone thought it would sell a double-sh#t ton.

Quoted for truth.  Even this re-release did as good as they projected, better than the last 3D makeover, Disney's Beauty and the Beast.  That said, this toy will languish on shelves.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2012, 02:12 PM »

E...

The shuttle was just flat out a bad choice.  I've been collecting Star Wars figures for 32 years and I flat out don't even know what a Republic Shuttle is.  I'm guessing it's from the Clone Wars cartoon but have not even taken the 30 seconds needed to google that yet.  I passed on it all the time at full price, and there have been a pile of them in the clearance aisle at my Walmart for $30 or so and I still don't want it.  If those were AT-TEs or AT-ATs or something iconic that size at $30 I'd have put the entire pile in my shopping cart.

I will actually be buying one MTT at full price the first time I see it.  I will consider additional MTTs after price reductions.

Agreed, the Shuttle was a really bad decision.

It's annoying that they'll risk so much on something nobody has ever heard of, but won't make an iconic Death Star playset that even some grandmothers would recognize.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Yeah, I think it will be really interesting to see how this thing does at $140.  It seems like a cool enough toy, but it is pricey and I don't see any average joes/parents really wanting to pick it up at that price - for Christmas or otherwise.  I'd like to get one, but honestly it is going to have to be on a sale/clearance most likely.  Like others have said, it doesn't exactly look super aggressive or awesome from the outside either - not likely to draw a lot of kids' eyes.  I'm sure kids of collectors - who are more entrenched into SW - may think its cool, but as far as the average kids go, I don't know.  It sounds like less and less of them are watching CW even these days, let alone an "old movie".

As far as the 3D release, I think it did well enough.  I read somewhere that Fox had hoped it would do $20 for its opening, and it beat that.  It will be interesting to see how it fares this weekend with more new releases.  That's a big reason I went opening weekend, I wasn't sure how long it would hang around.  I do wonder how much Star Wars fatigue there is at this point too, hard to tell.  It would have been nice to see them lead things off with A New Hope instead, but I guess I understand why they did it numerically.