Author Topic: MLB 2012  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
MLB 2012
« on: January 9, 2012, 09:50 AM »
HOF announcements today...Larkin is probably the only one to get in

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2012, 09:14 PM »
I'm not really sure if I'm in favor of this or not.  Going to have to see how this plays out this season to see if it's a complete disaster or if it really is as cool as MLB makes it out to be.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-henson_wild_card_playofff_change_approved_030212
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Don't really care about the Marlins or Pujols-less Cardinals but MLB regular season on TV tonight. EXCELLENT!!!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2012, 09:51 AM »
I don't like saying anything "good" about the Yankees, but hard not to feel bad for Rivera. I hope he can and chooses to come back next year so the greatest closer ever can go out on his terms. What a freak accident.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2012, 11:03 AM »
What was he doing jumping around catching fly balls?  Is that normal?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2012, 11:05 AM »
What was he doing jumping around catching fly balls?  Is that normal?

Apparently he always shags balls to "warm up his legs" before games.

Not sure why he was jumping near the fence though. Bad plan.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Yeah, I read that it's a part of his routine and it's one of the parts of his job he enjoys doing.  From what I read on the Yankees site, he was fielding one out there and he lost his footing and knee buckled.  :-\  That hurts just thinking about it.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Yeah, I read that it's a part of his routine and it's one of the parts of his job he enjoys doing.  From what I read on the Yankees site, he was fielding one out there and he lost his footing and knee buckled.  :-\  That hurts just thinking about it.

There is video of it and it looks to me like he was putting "too much" effort into catching a fly ball by the wall during batting practice. Easy to say that afterwards, but I bet they will think twice about what they let the players do when shagging balls from now on.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 5, 2012, 08:06 PM »
OMFG!  For Mariano Rivera's career to end like THIS would be criminal.  I think that the immediate reaction everyone has about "Why is one of the greatest closers of all time shagging fly balls?" is well founded.  But Mo has always been a real competitor and an overall great athlete.  When he has to cover 1st base, he's there.  When there's a tapper up the middle, he's THERE.  He has NEVER been a lazy fielder, and that's been one of the unsung portions of his game.  He's not just about the cutter.

I think every Yankee fan thought that this might possibly be his final season.  He's 42 years old, he's one of the greatest closers in MLB history, and he's sure to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.  And I don't think anyone aside from Jamie Moyer wants to be pitching into their mid to late 40's.  I think Mo is going to try to make a recovery so that he can leave the game on his own terms, but only after the 2013 season.

As for the circumstances of the injury -  how many ball players have gotten hurt because they got tripped up at that joint between the outfield grass and the warning track?  I've seen it on numerous occassions.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2012, 08:10 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Ha ha, Yankees.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:17 AM »
I'm not so disappointed that the Yanks didn't advance. Doing that without Mariano Rivera or Derek Jeter just seems unthinkable.

And A-Roid?  What a joke. The guy can't even bat his weight in the post season. He shows no intensity or focus. He deservedly got benched. And then this piece of garbage is more concerned about getting phone numbers from hot chicks in the front row than working with the batting coach about why he can't hit anything. TRADE HIM!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 07:22 PM »
I can't believe the Marlins. I can't even explain the rage I would have if the Twins had done that right after getting Target Field paid off by me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Go Buccos!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77