Author Topic: 2012 SDCC "Carbonite Chamber Packaging" Box Set  (Read 27880 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 SDCC "Carbonite Chamber Packaging" Box Set
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Just try to ship this sucker from SDCC.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 01:19 PM »
I imagine the DS was equally a pain?  but yeah, this one won't be any better that's for sure.

I'm so glad when they do stuff I can just not care about, if they're going to make SDCC stuff hard to get now anyway.  That eases my mind a little, but the package still gives SDCC attendees something to gloat that they have and I don't.  It's as much of a win-win as they can accomplish under the circumstances.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Yeah, it's a pass for me, too. The only thing I'd be missing out on is the packaging and the Jar Jar Blocks 'figure'. I'll looks for the variant cards when they hit retail.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Just try to ship this sucker from SDCC.

If Hasbro is trying to make that an issue, success!
Between this and the Death Star I never got an opportunity to buy last year, this company does a good job of not taking my money. I have very little hope, I think, of acquiring this given the pain they make it.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Its a pass for me most likely as well.  The cardbacks are kind of neat for what they are, but I can just wait and get the figures at retail too.  I guess the "carbonite block" Jar Jar would be neat, but I'd rather have an all-new spiffed up Han in Carbonite.  Like Jesse said, at least it isn't something to stress about missing if you can't get one though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 04:52 AM »
Hasbro and HunterPR were kind enough to pass along one of these sets for us to review.

Clicky to go to the Full Story!

Feel free to check it out and see what interesting things I discovered with the set.  Namely, I have to say, I was surprised how much I liked certain figures.  I'm also a bit surprised how much I liked the complete set itself.  It's a great overall Saga piece that looks like it'd display really nice.

People hoping for mint carded figures though, beware.  You're probably going to have to order a set or find them at retail for truly mint cards.

And the Jar Jar in Carbonite...  A blueprint for things to come?

Check it out.  I haven't been able to devote a lot of time to a long review in a while, and whew was that a longer one.

Apologies for pictures...  My 10MP camera isn't up to snuff with what other folks have but it did ok.  Finding a place to shoot pictures of an item this big was maybe a bigger pain to figure out!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Dammit Jesse, that review makes me want to buy the stupid set now. If I cave and buy one, youre getting the bill.  :-*
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Seriously. Do I want to drop $75 for this at the show? Maybe. I'm sure I'll probably cave in when Darth Anton starts to wave this thing in my face.  The Leia and the SA Jar Jar make it tempting.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 03:46 PM »
I think you guys will be surprised by Vader...  I'm serious.  I hated him, but in person, uh...  You start to think how the hand is cool.

You'll want one without the electricity and solid too, at some point.  Hasbro has an easy re-release there.  Removable helmet of course, so you can have a Luke holding him.  I think that may be among my bigger wants now, actually, if I don't do some part swapping to make it myself.

And honestly, all 3 army builders are great...  Solid sculpts, good paint, good features.  The gun will make people want the Sandtrooper IMO.  I want an extra E-11 to give to my Kyle Katarn "ultimate" figure I want to do since he sort of snipes with an E-11 in Jedi Knight.  That shoulder stock is something Marauder Inc. attempted but couldn't get it engineered right (they did good though) and Hasbro has the resources and got it made.

The Sandies paintjob is decent too, and the orange pauldron is nice and you can mix it with last years to make some dirty grunts if you have them around.

The Clones are Clones, but the new sculpt is nice...  I don't do replacements, but these will find happy homes amidst my existing hoards.  Clone Lt.'s are in short supply too IMO.  Not to mention that, if you were wanting to, it's a good base to do some accessory swapping to make blue ARC Troopers using the new body.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Just to add, I think the wave will make people happy...  Jar Jar in Carbonite, I don't think people will care.  Honestly it's an accessory on a card, like last years.  Now if you're a carded guy, you care.  If you're not, it's a novelty IMO, not a necessity.

I don't think the price is bad for the set either...  Not for what you get.  But if all you want it for is the Jar Jar in Carbo, and not the whole package, I wouldn't panic at not getting it.  I'd say just order a case of Wave 6 and be happy with them because it's a nice case.  Split it with a friend, and go forth in figure bliss.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Other than the marshmellow helmet on the ROTS clone, the figures look great.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 05:17 PM »
The thing is, unless something changes drastically, it going to take an eternity for those Lost Wave figures to make it onto pegs. There's at least 4-5 waves before that that have literally yet to hit at all in most places. So getting them at SDCC is probably a good bet unless you want to wait four or five more months. The cost per figure breakdown is probably more palatable than most online retailers would be too.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 05:47 PM »
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the availability issues of the Revenge set won't plague this set. I know it would defeat the purpose of the set, but I wish they had made an option where you could just get the carded Jar Jar in Carbonite...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 08:17 PM »
I'm splitting the Lost Wave case with a local friend...  Ordered off a sponsor on our front page, and I'm even getting the army builders he doesn't want too.  It's quite palatable compared to driving around hoping.  Though nothing's as nice as walking in and finding a figure, even at today's prices.

As far as the Jar Jar in Carbo...  To me this is as ideal as Hasbro is going to get, sadly.  They release it on its own, and people who buy the set feel ripped off.  They release it only in the set, and people who don't attend or cannot get it online are upset.

Like I said in the review, at least it's a really inconsequential item...  Imagine if it was the much-hoped-for Death Squad Commander, or *gasp* a figure like Mosep.

I get what Hasbro's doing with these...  It's really mostly about the packaging and one bone throwed to the limited nature of these sets, that they're hoping it doesn't annoy too many people.  It is what it is I guess. 

I have very little hope that this set is available in much better quantity this year after SDCC is over, than last year's Death Star set.  Honestly I think it'll be more of the same.  It's a pricey item, and Hasbro's not going to want stuck with them, and I think that past exclusives sitting became a major issue.  How many people got the Cammie/Fixer set on clearance?  It's a kick ass set...  I saw it go on sale, and something that cool never should have. :(  Same with McQuarrie 3PO/R2 or Ben/Yoda...  That stuff was awesome, and heavily produced, and would've pissed a lot of people off had it been "limited".  It wasn't though and retailers wound up stuck with stuff that had to be clearanced.  That kind of stuff probably put a nail in the coffin of widely available show exclusives.  Maybe C6's will be attainable outside the show.  One would imagine at a SW specific show, it'd have a higher production run.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Seriously. Do I want to drop $75 for this at the show? Maybe. I'm sure I'll probably cave in when Darth Anton starts to wave this thing in my face. 

Wait 'till you try to get on line.   >:D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."