Author Topic: 2012 SDCC "Carbonite Chamber Packaging" Box Set  (Read 27919 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2012 SDCC "Carbonite Chamber Packaging" Box Set
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2012, 02:21 AM »
I saw these today at the local toy show, guys with 3, 4, 5 of them, for $140 to $250.  The GI Joes I saw for $60 minimum.  ::)

Saw nobody leaving with either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2012, 05:06 PM »
mine arrived today - love it - glad it arrived in mint condition - heard some people were getting them all smashed
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Does anyone have a link for it on HTS?  I can't even find a listing for it.  ???

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2012, 06:48 PM »
Does anyone have a link for it on HTS?  I can't even find a listing for it.  ???

It used to be: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/star-wars-vintage-carbonite-chamber-7-pack?BR=495&ID=30494

But it's down now. So I guess they're done with it.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2012, 07:12 PM »
Damn, I was hoping there might be a couple stragglers still show up online.  Thanks for the link though Pete, it's appreciated.

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2012, 02:10 AM »
Annoying to miss out on yet another of these pain-in-the-ass SDCC SW exclusives, especially since I feel that the Carbonite Jar Jar constitutes a "new figure" for a any completist (carded or loose).  I know Hasbro's just playing it off as a unique accessory and trying to downplay it as an actual figure, but I'd imagine quite a few of us have enough OCD completism in ourselves to think otherwise.  I really wish they'd find another outlet to get that "figure" out to the public, even if it's only in loose form, 'cause I'm really not too excited at the prospect of dropping $60+ on a plastic slab of the most hated character in SW history.
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2012, 07:52 AM »
It's really not even a figure - just a block of plastic.  Meh - I would have paid the full price for a box set, but equally happy that I didn't waste a big chunk of money on this.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2012, 08:31 AM »
It's a block of plastic, but you can put the Jar Jar figure inside of it so it does have some functionality.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2012, 01:22 PM »
The thing about the Jar Jar in Carbonite, and maybe I'm not in the majority with the thought, but it really is more an accessory and less a "figure".  Add in that it's something that doesn't exist in the films or EU...  It's a miniature copy of a fanmade gag... 

I know guys are mad about this set, but if you didn't get one you're missing out less on Jar Jar, and more on the presentation itself.  The package is more cool, to me, than the Carbo Jar Jar in it.  He's a novelty, at best.  I can see the diehard completist, especially carded guys, having an annoyance from this, but Hasbro could make this situation FAR worse.

GI Joe anyone?

Yeah.

So while I don't own the Death Star set from last year, I'll be really happy if this is what they aim for every year on these.  Something few care about, so as not to piss off EVERYONE with what they make, ya know?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2012, 11:27 PM »
I'm with you Jesse, though I'm always bothered by "exclusives" that collectors want and can't seem to get.  I'd be far happier if they just had the exclusive packaging at shows.  That would provide something rare and unique without the rest of us missing out on an actual figure.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2012, 01:04 AM »
Yeah GI Joe fans are the guys who have a beef...

They got Jinx...  But not one Jinx.  They got two Jinx.  Both new.  Both who didn't get made in the new line.

To put it in perspective, and this should be fun food for thought for the Jocasta Nu crowd who are upset Jocasta is $25 and exclusive to an online retailer... 

Imagine if she were more money and basically only sold at SDCC and in very brief moments on Hasbro Toy Shop after the show till she sold out?  I mean, this hobby can definitely get worse.  Joe fans by far and away have a much greater beef.

Now imagine Jocasta was this year's...  Next year it's a figure you actually want?  Because they did that to Joe fans (not that Jinx wasn't a popular choice in her own right).  Sgt. Slaughter anyone?  Yeah, that's like keeping the Tonnika sisters as SDCC exclusives and highly limited.  Hasbro HQ would be physically assaulted by a absurdly fast-moving nerd army.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2012, 08:42 AM »
I agree with Jesse that the GI Joe collectors have it much worse with regards to getting what they want - especially when there is usually more than one GI Joe exclusive at the show.

I wish though that Hasbro would go back to making a larger quantity of smaller price-point item than a smaller quantity of a higher priced item.

At the end of the day - what would have been the harm if they had put Jar Jar in Carbonite on a "Lost Line" card back style and made it so he was ONLY available that way in the Carbon Freeze Chamber set and then also make him available as a single purchase on a Vintage card back and make that the exclusive for both SDCC and Celebration VI?

If you made it so the "Lost Line" look was exclusive to the Carbon Freeze Chamber set (and not also in cases shipping now), I feel that the demand for that set would still have been as high as it was. The fact that you can get those six figures in that same packaging style shipped to your home now has diminished the "exclusiveness" of those six figures making the set purely about Jar Jar in Carbonite and the box itself.

At the end of the day - the wishy-washy-ness level of "exclusivity" only suggests that even Hasbro thought that the "Lost Line" look gimmick was a dud. And before you think otherwise, look at how every other card-back "Galactic Hunt" variation has been handled so far - 12 figures spread out among three assortment variations. This time? One case and you get both the regular and "variant" looks with a single purchase. While as a collector I appreciate that, if it doesn't scream "we give up, this year is a flop", I don't know what else does.

Peter

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 4, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Any word on if that Jar Jar brick is going to show up separately at some point?  Against my better judgement, I want one to keep the collection as complete as possible, but I'm not spending $80 or $100 for that under any circumstance.

Hilariously, I just bought one of these for $84 plus shipping on eBay.  It got to the point where it was the only truly unique "figure" I know of didn't have outside of my Clone Wars catch-up project, and now I do.

:PukingEmoji

I've been watching auctions for 3 months or so now and this was the first time a loose one came up for auction - carded ones are getting $250-ish.  The set minus Jar Jar is getting $400... It's insane. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: March 5, 2019, 03:15 AM »
Yeah GI Joe fans are the guys who have a beef...

They got Jinx...  But not one Jinx.  They got two Jinx.  Both new.  Both who didn't get made in the new line.

To put it in perspective, and this should be fun food for thought for the Jocasta Nu crowd who are upset Jocasta is $25 and exclusive to an online retailer... 

Imagine if she were more money and basically only sold at SDCC and in very brief moments on Hasbro Toy Shop after the show till she sold out?  I mean, this hobby can definitely get worse.  Joe fans by far and away have a much greater beef.

Now imagine Jocasta was this year's...  Next year it's a figure you actually want?  Because they did that to Joe fans (not that Jinx wasn't a popular choice in her own right).  Sgt. Slaughter anyone?  Yeah, that's like keeping the Tonnika sisters as SDCC exclusives and highly limited.  Hasbro HQ would be physically assaulted by a absurdly fast-moving nerd army.

This **** has held up incredibly well.  I’m going to sniff my own farts on this one.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 5, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Man, I guess I should list mine.  I have been selling off 3 3/4" carded figures.  I had no clue any of them was worth anything.