Collectibles > The Clone Wars '08-'13

The Future of the Clone Wars Toy Line?

(1/22) > >>

Brian:
I was just reading through one of the reports at JTA, and it sounds like the overall feeling from Hasbro is that the Clone Wars line will continue to see about 20 figures a year through the duration of the 3D releases.  They mentioned it being considered more of a "sub line" now, and they would be very careful about what characters were included.  They did admit to a dip in the ratings of the show (although I think I've enjoyed this season much more than last year).  I'd be curious if the show would even be on the air (new episodes at least) for another 6 years, that's a long time for a cartoon these days.  I think usually once they hit the 52 number, they often wrap things up (or change the name), although there are exceptions.  Anyways, sounds like CW will be run very similar to the way things are this year - barring a disaster with the 3D releases I guess.

McMetal:

--- Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2012, 08:54 PM ---I was just reading through one of the reports at JTA, and it sounds like the overall feeling from Hasbro is that the Clone Wars line will continue to see about 20 figures a year through the duration of the 3D releases.  They mentioned it being considered more of a "sub line" now, and they would be very careful about what characters were included.  They did admit to a dip in the ratings of the show (although I think I've enjoyed this season much more than last year).  I'd be curious if the show would even be on the air (new episodes at least) for another 6 years, that's a long time for a cartoon these days.  I think usually once they hit the 52 number, they often wrap things up (or change the name), although there are exceptions.  Anyways, sounds like CW will be run very similar to the way things are this year - barring a disaster with the 3D releases I guess.

--- End quote ---

I read this as well, but it doesn't quite ring true somehow. If the ratings start to go back up this season and next, does that mean they will re-evaluate things and start making more TCW toys? No, they're going to continue to focus on the movies no matter what. So throwing that line out about the ratings is pretty weak sauce if you ask me.

Also, you can't blame the show, or the movies, for how badly the line is being managed right now. It's not the show's fault you couldn't get that Mando Transport to retail, even with SIX PLUS MONTHS of lead time. Or the fact that you continually under-produced toys for this line and made poor character choices and case assortments.

I'm fine with it being a sub-line, but at least run it with some integrity. I'm fine with them making smarter choices on some of their selections, but that does not mean only give us clones and Obi/Ani retreads. I mean, you've already spent the tooling dollars on Season 3 Ahsoka, but in Wave 1 we get more pegwarming Snow Koons? Who authorized that?!?! And don't even get me started on how they are rolling the clock back on articulation..oy vey!

Less is fine. Worse is not. If you're going to commit to the line for at least the duration of the show, please do it right.

Jabba the Slug:
I read the JTA report too, and I can totally see why Hasbro would put TCW aside. But for 6 whole years?! That's just way too much. Especially with the show headed into a more action/intense/dramatic/evolved direction. I say just put Movie Heroes at 3-4 new figures per wave and go all-out on TCW again.

I heard something around the lines of that Hasbro would have to "put away" TVC for awhile. It sounds like it's temporary, which I'm glad about, but this line is so awesome, why would they even do that? JTA reported something like that BAD would return, but I really don't want Hasbro ditching TVC for a few years in favor of BAD.

Captain Piet:
I loves me some Clone Wars, seen every episode, own all the DVDs, Blu-Ray, etc., but do any of us honestly expect the show and the line is going to continue over the next six years? I understand the movie strategy, however, Hasbro has multimedia most of the year with Clone Wars as opposed to a February film release. I do not understand the thinking. I guess will have to see what 3D pulls in. Remember, George said a movie each year "if they do well."
I guess with the MTT slated for the fall, which probably means late July/early August, Hasbro's hedging its bets on a 3D home release, although the market is still developing. I guess the strategy is going to be to push stuff twice a year at roughly six-month intervals.

McMetal:

--- Quote from: Captain Piet on February 14, 2012, 08:50 AM ---I loves me some Clone Wars, seen every episode, own all the DVDs, Blu-Ray, etc., but do any of us honestly expect the show and the line is going to continue over the next six years?
--- End quote ---

The show was originally slated to run for 5 seasons, so based on the original plan next season would be the last, but there are reports out there that they have already started writing for Season Six, so who knows?

I agree another 5 years for the show is probably overly optimistic, but I can see it going another 2 seasons easily, and that will make 100 episodes, which is the magic number for *ding ding ding* syndication.  ;D

So the toy line could potentially run another 2-3 years just off the repeats and maybe the odd TV movie here and there.

There are a lot more toys I think they need to make before they kill this thing, so I'm in as long as they stick with the animated style, which it sounds like they will, thankfully.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version