Author Topic: The Future of the Clone Wars Toy Line?  (Read 51087 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of the Clone Wars Toy Line?
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2012, 01:04 PM »
why is it that it seems to me that the single carded Maul looks way better than the BP Maul?

Cleaned up press image one vs. cleaned up press image two.

If you want Maul's Galactic Battle game card you ahve to buy the battle pack, since the game won't be around in 2013. A huge blow to everyone, no?  ;)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 10:30 PM »
The only thing I know is that they've been available from that same seller for well over a year now. There's red striped ones, too. Did those see retail release? I remember hearing talk of bootleg troopers (as opposed to factory extras or whatever), but the seller's other stuff looks like actual production items.

I've never bought anything from that seller.

Hey, just wanted to thank you again for this information. I just bought my third set of these...first batch yellow striped, second batch red striped, and the latest batch green striped. They are definitely unique from any previous figures ever released in this line in any form. (Although the yellow guys are very close to the 212th clones they out out a few years back)

The main difference, which is apparent right away, is the base plastic is grey, not white. It's hard to tell the difference from the auction photos, but very noticeable in person. These must have been some kind of early production samples or test runs for paints apps or something to that effect I think.

Whatever they are, they are completely weird and cool, and make a fine addition to my collection. I'm definitely making a point to keep hunting for strange stuff like this from overseas. The seller sent them in a padded envelope all the way from China but they arrived safely so no complaints here.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 10:44 PM »
The grayish 212th clones were available as part Deluxe Jetpack set. You can see the difference in plastic color here. Those ones on eBay are pretty weird though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:47 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Hey, just wanted to thank you again for this information.
[/url]

You are welcome! I just assumed they were old news in collecting circles.

The seller sent them in a padded envelope all the way from China but they arrived safely so no complaints here.

I've never had a problem with the stuff I've gotten from China being damaged. Sometimes the content are not  right. I wound up getting a few GI JOE figures free once because they seller sent me the wrong ones and didn't have the others, offered a total refund.  They seem to want to avoid negative feedback.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #64 on: October 5, 2012, 05:01 PM »
You know, it just occurred to me, that Lego is supporting the Clone Wars, and has some more new sets this winter.  If Lego's able to make money off the show, why can't Hasbro?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 5, 2012, 05:34 PM »
You know, it just occurred to me, that Lego is supporting the Clone Wars, and has some more new sets this winter.  If Lego's able to make money off the show, why can't Hasbro?

I think there's a key difference between the two licenses.  Hasbro has spread things out so much across multiple lines that it seems to be dilluting interest.  Especially when you see collectors saying "I'll collect the Vintage line and new figures from Movie Heroes, but no Clone Wars", or collectors who are doing OT only, etc. 

The LEGO collection really hasn't been subdivided so much.  It's all under one packaging banner.  And LEGO fans tend to be pretty loyal.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 5, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Lets not forget that when it comes to sheer fun, I think Lego beats out regular action figures by a wide margain. I know many parents that would much rather buy lego because theres just so much more you can do with it. That's true for me as well, I spend a lot more time building a lego set than I would messing with an action figure. As far as value for entertainment factor, lego wins.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 8, 2012, 09:05 AM »
So...thinking ahead to next year, I wonder if we will see the inevitable clearance on the Darth Maul packaged stuff to make way for swag in the new Yoda-themed packaging. And if so, at what point will that clearancing get started? I am guessing around the holidays since the relaunch is sometime after the first of the year. Plus it's the easiest time to dump a lot of unmoving product with so much added foot traffic.

Not that there was a lot released this year that would even be worth picking up for pennies on the dollar, but maybe some of the mini-rigs...

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Sounds like Spider Maul is coming next year....in a realistic style.  :( >:( :'(

You guys already put that out a year or two ago! You couldn't just jam the new animated torso onto the realistic base?!?

Weak, weak sauce.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Sounds like Spider Maul is coming next year....in a realistic style.  :( >:( :'(

You guys already put that out a year or two ago! You couldn't just jam the new animated torso onto the realistic base?!?

Weak, weak sauce.

there has never been a Spider Maul.  The only past release in realistic version was Cyborg leg style Maul in that comic pack.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Ah yes, you are 100% right, apologies.

I was thinking of the custom one that sold on eBay earlier this year for like $80.

Wonder if this is something that re-uses previous tooling or all-new. (In terms of upper torso)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:14 PM by McMetal »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Didn't Hasbro say they weren't going to NYCC this year? 
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2012, 07:05 PM »
I probably couldn't care less if they made spider-Maul. Not sure why they even did that in the show...will they explain how he got that way?

I'd rather see new tooling go toward something of significance...even like Lava Flea or something I probably also wouldn't buy.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Didn't Hasbro say they weren't going to NYCC this year?

Not for SW... T-formers and MLP, I believe.

As for that 2-pack... Hasbro could release that Owen again.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2012, 08:36 PM »
I'm...  indifferent, but I'll probably dig it when I see it.  The fact it's realistic just screams, to me, that they're wanting to focus CW on realistic looks now...  Milk older toolings or repainting, or just do mains for the animated line.  Animated seems pretty dead at this point.

I'm happy, personally, but I know it's frustrating if you don't like realistic...  I prefer it for one unified line look and I'm happy to get in whatever they make.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77