Author Topic: The Future of the Clone Wars Toy Line?  (Read 51090 times)

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of the Clone Wars Toy Line?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17 PM »
I think they should combine TCW line into the main line.  with just getting 20 CW figures a year now, to save cost on the package just put them on one card

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Going forward produce them all in realistic style and the problem is solved. Guys like me watch the show, like the new characters but hate the cartoon look in the figures. I would have bought every figure had they been realistic from the start, i picked up only a handful and they were the ones that looked realistic enough. I like where they are going with the first three characters shown at TF and I hope they make more. Cad and Savage next please!

I can see two more seasons max with this show. The shows story is nearing the events ROTS already there is no way they can drag it out for that much longer unless it becomes CloneWars: The Adventures of Ki-Adi Mundi and Mundi Squad.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 05:49 PM »
I think they should combine TCW line into the main line.  with just getting 20 CW figures a year now, to save cost on the package just put them on one card

I think we're starting to see that already.  Witness the realistic versions of Anakin, Ahsoka and Obi-Wan from Clone Wars in the TVC line.  Hasbro seems to be deliberately testing these characters out in a realistic form to see if they'll sell better this way.  I got a sense that this might be a trend when I saw that new Anakin Skywalker at NY Comic Con.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I have to say, I'd hate seeing animated figures snuck into the main line...  I have not bought into the animated stuff save for the droids and a few aliens because thye tend to blend in a little better, especially with a paintjob or whatnot.

But if animated figures were in cases of realistic, it'd be a real drawback IMO on buying cases of figures since there'd be new ones in there I very much did not want to buy, at all.

I really felt the news that they'd be testing realistic sculpts of the animated characters was an effort for them to keep CW alive when the inevitable end of the series came about...  It seemed kind of natural really, since they wanted the figures on the shelves to match the material they came from closely to avoid confusion...  with the series possibly ending at 100 episodes, it makes some ssense for them to move away from that concept then some, and things to become more of a cohesive look.  And I for one am geeked to get realistic versions too!  Some of my favorite figures at NYTF I felt.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 07:40 PM »
I prefer the animated look actually - a 180 from where I started with CW, but it won me over - but the realistic line is probably the only way we will ever get Satine, 99, or any of the minor figures collectors are looking for.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 02:41 PM »
Yes, many fans of this line feel strongly that animated characters should be sculpted in an animated style to better reflect their actual appearance on the show.

I understand this may not appeal to all collectors but I don't see why it has to be an all or nothing proposition. They're putting some characters out in realistic form which should make some collectors happy. I think that step should appease some collectors who have yet to warm up to the animated line for whatever reason, but that's not any justification for just killing the animated line outright.

Until somebody proves me wrong with hard data, I maintain that for every collector who wants these animated figures in a realistic style, there is an equal and opposite collector who currently buys the animated style and would NOT be interested in buying these figures in a realistic style.

Just keep up both lines and everyone is happy.  :)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 04:26 PM »
The problem is that collectors in Clone Wars in general are the slim pickin's and it's kids who either support it or don't.  Right now Hasbro's direction with the line, for kids and collectors alike, is the realistic line since it's tantamount to a "movie year", more or less.  And will be for 6 years.

Clone Wars has always been separated a bit, and IMO that hurt it being more absorbed and accepted by collectors as a whole.  LFL didn't care and wanted sculpts that reflected the media (despite Hasbro even pushing realistic or quasi-realistic figures) in an effort to blend them.  I think deep down, Hasbro knew keeping one animated would ultimately mean it would disconnect with collectors as a new and wholely separate toy line.  I know that's how I view it.  I didn't buy CW because I don't look at them as part of the same line of figures ultimately, and with price hikes at the time the last thing I wanted was yet another line of action figures to collect.

Flash forward to now and I'm still open to realistic...  No hard data to prove I'm in the majority other than the realistic line's been around for this many years, and has had huge collector support really.  That says something though, that collectors will probably buy realistic CW figures who otherwise were passing because they considered it wholely separate.  I was anything but alone in that feeling at the time.

I think they could've paid a little more attention to CW in 2012 than they did for sure, and been more even about things.  But ultimately I think this was an inevitable direction they were going to go since the toon's ratings are slipping (meaning the main audience they cater to with their half hour commercials is slipping with it), and the unavoidable end of the series is in sight, at least to some degree.  I personally think syndication, even if it happens, isn't likely to drive toy sales at all.  I think Hasbro really is just preparing for the reality of no Clone Wars toon...  However, if a new toon were to emerge?  I think anything is possible then, including a return to the old toon even with some characters here and there from CW mixed into the line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Flash forward to now and I'm still open to realistic...  No hard data to prove I'm in the majority other than the realistic line's been around for this many years, and has had huge collector support really.  That says something though, that collectors will probably buy realistic CW figures who otherwise were passing because they considered it wholely separate.  I was anything but alone in that feeling at the time.

Count me as being in this camp. I would have bought the entire line had they been realistic. Cad Bane with the Robot, Embo, Armored Savage, Cassius and x2 IG Droids are all I own in my massive collection because they pass for realistic enough. There were so many great characters I would love to have liked to own like Hondo but because they were cartoonish I passed.

That said, I am a bit perplexed that Armored Savage, Season 2 Ashoka are not in the current mixes. CW has seen some rare figures like Sidious, Even Piell and even Sae See Tiin see such limited release. Maybe just maybe if Hasbro stopped shipping the very 1st crappy Cad Bane and included more in demand figures sales would look a little better. Not saying it would cure the lines current problems but it could not hurt. The CW line lasted longer than I thought it was going to so I have to tip my hat to that.

Being with the SW line since the 95 rebirth I can say for certain, like death and taxes, the line always comes back to core mainline figures...that look realistic. Chubby, large, micro, stylized whatever it is one line that never dies is core 3 3/4inch movie style. Not saying it will never die but too many of us invested so heavy into it for so long that SW figures that are 1/18th scale should never deviate from realistic.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I think the future of this line rests in Hasbro's design team. If they decide to release new versions of core figures with a smattering of secondary figures I think the line can continue. If the line was so dead, why have I never seen an armored Savage in the wild? The line is being prodded toward a main line infusion, which I will accept...I guess. But there are a lot of young collectors that came in with the cartoon that may not jump on outside the series because of cost. As a parent I can barely afford the CW figs, there is no way I could handle all of Vintage. At least in my area the CW stuff seems to move well, it is not as hard to find as vintage, but nothing that could not be helped by better case selection. I love collecting these with my son, and when the line is discontinued it will be a sad day. Until then, I am ready for the next wave to appear.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 08:51 AM »
So...according to some questions asked at Toy Fair, no single carded scuba clone planned. Or maybe that particular deco isn't planned. Maybe'll they'll release the scuba leader at a muuuuch later date.  Either way, those planning a CW Scuba Trooper army are in for a headache.

Armored Oppress will return (at a date past the point when most people will care).

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56 PM »
It does dot surprise me that the scuba clone is not getting a card. This is the same model they used with the snow gear clones. I wish Rex was in the deluxe and the trooper was carded then, but I spent much more to complete the scene so I guess in the end they knew what they were doing.

That being said, I still plan on buying at least two of the subs with clones when they arrive...if I can find them.

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 07:11 PM »
How do you get that these two are the same model?

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Same "business model" I would have used sculpt if that is what I meant. I did not know we were being so formal.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Scuba Clone is about the only thing I can think of at this moment that is from CW that I plan to buy.  I'm largely only going to nab it for the sub, so I may have a Scuba Clone by himself available at some point.  I'll likely hang onto one to customize to a realistic Late War Scuba Clone if I can sorta combine it with the Tartakovsky Scuba Clone (which is a great figure in and of itself if anyone doesn't have that).

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Jesse let me know if you want to get rid of a single CW scuba clone. I would gladly take one off your hands.