Author Topic: 2012 Movie Heroes Battle Packs  (Read 45860 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2012 Movie Heroes Battle Packs
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Looking over the Toy Fair stuff again today...  what's the deal with Hasbro apparently announcing two new movie Battle Packs for the Fall?  Something about a new Naboo 3-pack and new Bespin 3-pack?  I haven't read too much on those, but I guess there must have been some mention of them at the collector event?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:56 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Movie Heroes Battle Packs
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:39 PM »
IIRC, the Naboo one is Maul/Kenobi/Jinn while the Bespin one is Vader/Fett/Luke...all with new figs

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:47 PM »
So... after releasing the hell out of Maul, EVO Qui-Gon, and 2009 Kenobi in the Vintage, Walmart DTF, and Movie Hero lines this Spring, they're going to put out all-new versions of those three in a new Battle Pack this Fall?  Seriously?

And the Bespin pack?  Instead of a NEW Lando, Bespin Escape Leia, and Bespin Escape Chewie/3PO that everyone would happily grab, we get the tooling dollars wasted on another new Bespin Luke, Vader and Fett?  No wonder no one is talking about these battle packs...  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:34 AM »
Looking over the Toy Fair stuff again today...  what's the deal with Hasbro apparently announcing two new movie Battle Packs for the Fall?  Something about a new Naboo 3-pack and new Bespin 3-pack?  I haven't read too much on those, but I guess there must have been some mention of them at the collector event?

I pretty much missed all this too...

I'm almost interested in how Boba could be improved, but somehow I doubt this'll be an improvement.  I also want to see what they're defining as "new" too.   :-\  I'm imagining Luke's going to be the Vinty figure with maybe a new, battle damaged upper torso.  That figure was made with what seems like a really pre-planned customizability to it.  I honestly thought we'd have seen those legs re-used for Dagobah Luke this year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Spinning this off from the main Toy Fair thread...

I see that Walmart apparently has listings already for the two OT Movie Heroes Battle Packs mentioned at Toy Fair:

"Bespin Battle" (Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett and Darth Vader)
and
"Duel on Naboo" (Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Darth Maul)

Again, I just don't get it.  More Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Maul, and Vader?  Really?  All the carded versions of those four planned for this year aren't enough?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Never in a movie year.

I'm into new figures if they're improved I guess...  They're just a little disappointing in choice, but I'm open to what they ultimately look like.  Like if Luke's a battle worn one, I kinda dig that.  Boba could be really cool... 

The price seems fair too, for now anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:32 PM »
It seems BP's these days are all top tier characters so they make some sense from a marketing perspective. I am glad they have new tooling it better that outdated sculpts with nothing new for the collector. If these are killer sculpts as Galactic Hunter reports I am ok with this.

I am not too happy with the current EP1 Obi he can stand for a lot of improvements the articulation is too hindered. Qui-Gon is not as bad but really needs a new head sculpt and for sure a new Lightsaber, they better retire the 1999 one. I bet maul will have a new head and wait for it....a new left glove without the probe droid controller. They milked those tools like no tomorrow because these were coming.

I like the idea of a battle damaged Luke with some new tooling but Vader and Boba? The upcoming Vader with the ball jointed hips and a new hand is a nice upgrade but what more can you do with him. I am 100% happy with the current ESB Fett he is perfect. (Ball Jointed hips for him is not needed if that's what they had in mind.
I agree this could have been the perfect time to get a updated Lando. I get the need for Luke and Vader for a battles sake but Lando would have made sense since he dealt with Vader and save a battle damaged Luke from the weathervane...

These sound like they may be half decent, truth be told I miss the days of cool BP's that had new stuff. As JJ pointed out it at least justifies the price more.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:50 PM »
I was actually happy when Hasbro went to straight re-packs on Battle Packs.  I hated buying BPs for 1 new figure/character, especially when the rest didn't include army builders.  The first Ilum Padme set, for example.  Yes, it came with a new droid sculpt, but it also came with a C-3PO and R2 I had no use for.

I don't mind that the BPs are not for "us," the collectors, and I really can't understand why people got so pissed every time a new BP was announced and there was nothing new in it.  It's like some people wanted to have to spend $20+ on a set just for that one new figure.  Did everyone forget that quick that they used to bitch about the 1 new figure in a 5 pack that they "had to buy" only to be "stuck" with extra stuff they didn't want?

The BP sets make decent gifts, mostly, because they're usually main characters or, in the case of Clone Wars, quite often have some army builder draw to them.  But if it weren't for that, I wouldn't mind seeing Hasbro dump that assortment and diversify the Class I Fleet Vehicle line.  IMO, that's still their best assortment outside of the basic action figures, they're excellent toys and that's something that the SW line lacks sometimes.

Specifically with these two Battle Packs; I don't know what Hasbro's game is.  They have about 4 each (or more) of Obi/Qui/Maul figures available right now at multiple price points using multiple sculpts, mostly old.  I see no reason why they're doing this BP of them rather than carding them, except that it gives them time to make more money from the existing tooling before moving on later in the year. 

The Bespin set doesn't make much more sense to me either because we're getting a new ANH Vader, were shown an ROTJ Vader that'll be in the SDCC set and then retail and then an ESB version in the BP.  We have an excellent VC Bespin Luke that just came out, their second "vintage" stab at him already, and Fett?  I need another attempt at Fett like I need someone to come and kick me in the head.

I've been on the hunt lately to pare my collection down to the definitive version of each main Saga character and I think part of my hate on these packs is that there will be something that will be JUST a little better than what I have already and I'll feel compelled to buy these.  Everytime this happens I buy a little more into the conspiracy theories about Hasbro making figures not quite as good as they can just so they can do another version and make us buy.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Yeah I kinda was enjoying not caring about Battlepacks almost...  Something new forces me back into wanting that one thing for $20 and a bunch of stuff I don't care about.  I'm kinda hopeful they'll try to make most/all of what you're buying appealing.  The prices really would deter me from buying the set for that one figure.

It also is going to perpetuate theft...  It already has, but I think with realistic, it'll be even worse.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:48 PM »
Wait - so these packs will have *NEW* figure sculpts? Am I reading that right?

I don't get it, we just got an all-new Maul sculpt in TVC. This is really weird. To top it off, I just read somewhere that Hasbro even said that these new sculpts are very good ones.

I guess time will tell. But it sucks that Hasbro didn't send the TF12 powerpoints.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:56 PM »
Ugh. We don't need new versions of any of those characters, although I'll admit that I'd gladly buy a set for a battle damaged Bespin Luke. :-[

If they really want to do sets with new sculpts, they should have done, say, Bespin Escape Leia and Cloud City Lando for Bespin Battle and maybe tossed in a VOTC Stormtrooper. Likewise for Duel on Naboo. NEW Theed Battle Padme, Panaka and maybe an SA Battle Droid or a new Nute Gunray. Make them Evolutions style with lots of accessories and I would be happy.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:57 AM »
here the pics of the new battle pack

http://potf2.com/potj/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17088

they suck hardcore.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 01:12 AM »
Wow.

Those suck balls.  I really don't think there's anything remotely positive I can say about anything in either set.  Those are massive leaps backwards, and complete and utter wastes of tooling dollars. 

Those look to have 1995-ish levels of articulation and quality.

Battlepacks are now utterly worthless.

I say again, those suck balls.

EDIT: They look even worse upon a closer inspection, they're that bad.  I mean, just dismal.  You made Bespin Luke, why would you do this then?  The only remotely logical thing I can think of with this move on Hasbro's part, is an effort to make a more "sturdy" toy for younger kids...  These are just utter poop though, to me.  I'll quite happily not buy these, but if the basic line ever starts swinging this way, ugh. 

Hasbro took literally a decade to get quality in this line anywhere near to where their potential was, and since then things have been ok in that regard for the most part IMO.  This, wow...  This is a huge leap in the wrong direction.

I think this is even insulting to parents buying for their kids when better figures are hanging on pegs right above this stuff...  or go to friggin' Ebay and save yourself a load of money and buy figures that are every bit this level of quality ultimately, and a hell of a lot cheaper.  At the toy show you can get figures as good as this for like $2 each.  If the battlepack is $25, that $25 could net your kid a lot more than just 3 equally bad figures.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:26 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 01:44 AM »
I have no words to describe how dismally horrible those sculpts are.

The Bespin pack... I have no words to describe those sculpts. Trash.

The Naboo pack... slightly more appealing only because of character choice. What in the hell is up with the hip articulation?

To think Hasbro actually said they were proud of the sculpts featured in these sets.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 06:56 AM »
There was no point in making these.  It's not like we're not already saturated with basically all of those figures.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda