Collectibles > Discover the Force / Movie Heroes

2012 Movie Heroes Battle Packs

<< < (17/18) > >>

Greg:

--- Quote from: scockery on April 20, 2012, 08:13 PM ---With emerging markets thing still begs the question. Why new tooling? Why not 90's/early 2000's stuff? The molds still exist...or do they? 2-1B's does!

--- End quote ---

If I recall correctly, some of the recent "emerging market" toys (Star Wars and Iron Man 2) consisted of small figures, around 2-inches or so. Other lines, like the current Marvel and past GI Joe assortments, are made up of repacked or repainted figures that are of less quality than the normal lines.

Darth_Anton:
Good question about the re-packing. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with what's "in" with the kids now. When the line was relaunched, we got those horrible He-Man sculpts (that I got every one of) because Wrestling and wrestling toys were so popular. Perhaps the market has changed.  I know these figures are not geared for us and Hasbro should make a lot more money selling a cheeper product to non-collecting parents whose kids are just going to throw them away when they discover the opposite sex.

speedermike:
You know, if they were going to go this simple, I wish they would have pulled the trigger and just done these in an animated style to match the Clone Wars stuff.  Kids wouldn't know the difference.

Jesse James:

--- Quote from: speedermike on April 21, 2012, 12:30 PM ---You know, if they were going to go this simple, I wish they would have pulled the trigger and just done these in an animated style to match the Clone Wars stuff.  Kids wouldn't know the difference.

--- End quote ---

That's an interesting suggestion...  stylized for the sake of stylized to entice kids.  Dunno if kids care though.  That, at least at the time, was the argument Hasbro was making for Legends being realistic "additions" to the CW line to attract kid dollars and make basically pure profit on existing sculpts...  Put out a realistic SBD since the animated line at the time didn't have one, or whatever the character may be (a realistic Vader because kids like Vader and they don't care, and just want Vader to go with their Clone Wars toys, etc.).

I don't know if the labor vs. tooling argument holds up...  Labor's increased in China, but Hasbro's streamlined the labor portion of action figures significantly.  Figures are as simplistically designed today as they have ever been, in many cases.  Even compared to 1995 in many cases, they're a simple matter of "plug n play" designs.  Some still are designed/constructed like they used to be though.  It's weird how they jump back and forth with that.

Mold toolings though, were always the primary cost...  It makes sense to go with the new/cheaper figures if you plan on cranking them out in great quantities for sure.  But are the Boba/Luke/Vader going to get more use beyond this pack?  Pack-in figures maybe?  Cheap sub-lines at discount stores on single cards maybe?

Tooling steel molds up though has certainly not decreased in price overseas, but Labor's going up too, so it's an interesting comparison.

Darth_Anton:
Hmmm. I agree. Interesting idea. But in my line of work, "dumbing down" to kids often yields disastrous results. I think they'ed know. The question is weather they'd be into the idea or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version