Author Topic: The GI Joe Club General Discussion  (Read 6566 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
The GI Joe Club General Discussion
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:13 PM »
Any of you guys get your cc hit who ordered this year?  I went the TF route and my card just got hit this morning.  Should have called in earlier since learning about the whole fiasco, but thankfully they put an immediate hold on my card and it is now cancelled. 

Thanks FunPub!   >:(
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: The GI Joe Club General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:34 PM »
I haven't got hit yet, but after hearing that cards are still at risk, I will have to cancel my card tomorrow. It's bull****, man. Worst part is, even former members are at risk, if they're still using the card they bought stuff from either the Joe or TF Clubs.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2012, 02:43 PM »
I don't frequent HISS too often, but wow...there's almost 300 pages on TFW about this.  Looks like everybody got hit - well everybody that didn't cancel their cards in time.  Reset all those online passwords too kids!  Sheesh....what a mess.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2012, 04:34 PM »
I didn't see where we had a thread just dedicated to general Club talk and I know with the recent problems with the compromised credit cards, we probably need one.  I think there are some posts in the Figure Subscription thread that could probably be moved over here if Jesse or someone could lend a hand.

The first I heard about it was from some tweets by Jason, from The Terrordrome, and it was in relation to what was going on over at the Transformers board.  Apparently they were in the middle of convention registration when this all started going down.  But we're also coming up fast on the deadline for the GI Joe Club membership renewal so there was a lot of people sending CC info their way for that too.

Now that it's spread to just about everyone, it seems that the Club's whole membership database was compromised in some way.  Some of the people that got hit said that they hadn't used a CC with the Club since last year's figure membership drive.  There's a guy on Hiss Tank that called in his CC info rather than using the online ordering system.

The thing that scared me a little is that for the Club I used the Debit/Credit card that's tied to my bank account to re-up for my membership.  That's about the only online store I've ever used it for so I panicked a little, especially when it looked like it was all going down over the President's Day weekend when my bank was closed and I had no way to cancel the card until Tuesday.  Finally got in and cancelled it and it seems I'm okay.  But, man, that was a close one.

I haven't read much on the Tranformers board but I've read the Hiss Tank thread and the Club is taking a lot of heat over there, possibly more than they deserve, I think.  But, at this point, the problem is that no matter what the Club posts, whether it's an official email from Brian or Pete, their "fan interface" who is a member of several forums, people are going to pick it apart and latch on to any piece that will allow them to further bash the Club even if they're taking it out of context.

There have been official announcements via email from the Club, they posted info to their Joe and TF Club pages and there are threads on the top Joe and TF boards.  At this point if you are a member and haven't cancelled any cards you've used with the Club, it's really now on you if you get unwanted charges.

The password thing, although not directly addressed by the Club, should be a no-brainer IMO.  If you use a common userid/password combo online and the Club has been hacked, you have to assume all your info is compromised and take the appropriate steps.  It's an easy guess that if you are a Joe or TF fan, you probably also use PayPal, eBay, Hasbro Toy Shop, EE and BBTS (among other websites)...so, if I'm a hacker, why not try the userid/pw info on the other sites just to see if it works?  Whether the Club addresses that or not, it's not really their problem to worry about how you use other websites, the customers should be thinking about it.

I still have faith in the Club but I'm going to be very much more careful with how I purchase from them in the future.  I have a Bank of America CC and will be taking advantage of their ShopSafe feature for any new purchases.  At least until they've proven they identified how the initial breach happened and that their upgraded software is more secure.  I've seen a lot of people post over on the Tank about how the Club's software was not secure or how they basically handed the info over to hackers, but I don't buy any of that.  I'm not necessarily happy that, apparently, their system stored CC info indefinitely even though I never had the choice to have it saved, but how many people use Amazon and have their CC info stored for easy checkout?  It's not like the Club was doing something completely unheard of, they just maybe were doing it without our express permission and, while I can't check now, maybe didn't give us a way to opt out of having that info stored.

The way I look at it is that every company can be subject to this, it's happened before whether it was Sony or a retail store that was wirelessly transmitting CC info that got intercepted.  I'm not going to blame the Club for becoming a target of fraud, but they do shoulder the responsibility of correcting their software (probably via upgrades) so it's harder to have it happen in the future.

E...
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 04:34 PM by efranks »
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Here's the 265 pages of fun from tfw

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/543525-fandom-card-issues-2-2012-a.html

Here's the 126 pages of fun from HISS

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-news-rumors/202849-possible-credit-card-fraud.html

I need the white TF guy to go with the black TF guy so I need to send in a money order right quick before the deadline.  NOT giving them my bank info after all this garbage.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:57 PM »
I know you got hit on your card at FunPub, did you get it taken care of?

I see a couple people have still been reporting over on 'Stank that they've gotten hit recently.  My only question is why the hell haven't they cancelled their cards yet?  That's just dumb IMO.  The guys that got hit early, especially the TFCC guys, they seem to have gotten the worst of it though.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Ya I got hit and it just took a 3 min phone call to fix and got a replacement card the same week, but I'm still just flustered over the whole situation - never had this happen to me before, plus had to go out and change most of my online passwords I've been using for years...

I'm also still reading on TFW that people are still getting their cards hit as well including folk who are regulars who are actively participating in said thread.  Um well now it's your own damn fault if you think you're going to be a "lucky one"

A few of my local guys over there who ordered early got hit mainly with a few hundred dollar Best Buy or WM purchases.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 07:38 PM »
Yeah, I don't think there are going to be any "lucky" ones that don't get hit if they don't change their card number.  I was lucky on one thing, the password I used on the GIJCC site wasn't used anywhere else so I didn't have that headache.

I cancelled my card the Tuesday after President's Day...first day my bank was open after finding out about this problem.  All the credit goes to Justin over at The Terrordrome because it was his tweets that tipped me off.  I hadn't been on 'Stank for a while and don't visit the TF boards. 

I'm not happy about the whole thing but not having had my card charged before I cancelled it helped that.  But I'm not happy with the lack of notification by the Club.  One or two reports may not be much, but when you're taking registrations for the con and all of a sudden a ****-ton of your members are reporting problems, the least you can do is issue a warning to members that you're investigating an increase in CC fraud reports and people should be monitoring their accounts.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50 PM »
My brother's bank alerted him to the frauds he got hit with I believe, and handled everything after a brief discussion and run-down of what was legit and what wasn't.  I'd be canceling that card asap though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 1, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Finally got my April newsletter, on May 1st, and it included the email that came out about the problems with the store.

I wonder if the May newsletter is on schedule and will start showing up next week or so.  I don't think I've seen any word about it one way or another, but I haven't followed their Facebook page very closely.

No Footloose yet...

E...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Looks like a few folks on tfw are getting their NEW cards hit - after the store relaunched...niiiiiiiice   ::)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 03:44 PM »
I thought the only thing the new store had was the registrations for Club membership and the people that were hit before probably wouldn't be using the new store for anything?

Do you have a link to a thread?

E...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Guess it might just be Botcon related and not the club after actually finding the thread..   :-\  Ya never know though.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-general-discussion/596791-beware-credit-card-compromised-botcon.html

Pete@botcon is with the club

Any card used at BotCon (at the Club store) was used on a POS Credit card Terminal. These transactions are processed directly with the CC company. The information is not handled by us in any way shape or form.

A completely different form of processing than we use online, and the same type of transaction you have processed at your local Target or Walmart...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 05:05 PM »
Yeah, I don't think this looks like more Club compromises.  At least not yet.

E...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:49 PM »
Y'know, if I ever make a purchase from FunPub again, it might just be with one of those reloadable debit cards.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk