Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 235851 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #195 on: January 8, 2013, 08:03 AM »
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a couple of hard, pipe-hittin' collectors to go to work on Hasbro here with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. You hear me talkin' Rhode Island boy? I ain't through with you by damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

(I couldn't resist.)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 8, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Well, I am hoping that they see the light and are preparing to fill the early 2013 void with tons and tons of exciting new Clone Wars product and , er...ah, who am I kidding.

I guess this will be the year I go back and start collecting all the realistic-style Tartakovsky stuff.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 8, 2013, 10:48 AM »
....or save up for retirement or buy a house.   ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 8, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Like others, likely work on organizing the collection room and condensing down what I do have.  My wife would love to see me unload a lot of the stuff that is being stored throughout the house, so I may start to go through that stuff too.  If we really are seeing a break in "new" figures until Fall, I'm hoping to just take the opportunity to save up (and possibly catch up on my loose vintage collection a little).

My other primary line is Marvel stuff, but I'm sort of thinking of taking a break from that as well.  We'll see what is available I guess.  I may pick up some stuff here and there, but get a little more picky.  LEGOs are always a temptation, and I've got my eyes on the Jabba's Palace and Rancor sets, so that is a possibility.  Overall though, as much as the delay stinks, I know deep down it is a good opportunity for me to save the money and prepare for the future.  I have a feeling there is a chance we'll see a "little bit of new, lots of old" type of scenario until the release of the new movies, similar to what we saw with the OTC line, but maybe that won't happen.  This year might be a mix of that though.  I hope we get some news out of Toy Fair.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #199 on: January 8, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Funny but it's become a routine where every year...  EVERY year...  We say, "Well I hope something good comes out of Toy Fair".

The Star Wars line is has become like the CW toon...  They both like to dick us around a lot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #200 on: January 9, 2013, 09:45 AM »
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a couple of hard, pipe-hittin' collectors to go to work on Hasbro here with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. You hear me talkin' Rhode Island boy? I ain't through with you by damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

(I couldn't resist.)

Ha! Good reference! :D

I'm alright with the break, and it will be a welcome one. I am hoping we do see the ESB Slave-1 as Nicklab mentioned.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 9, 2013, 11:57 AM »
Oh yeah, I really hope we still see that ESB Slave I that's been mentioned (and teased) as well.  I'm hoping that doesn't get shelved or pushed back as well.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 9, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Maybe the Mayan apocalypse was really Hasbro's schedule?  :-[

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #203 on: January 9, 2013, 02:08 PM »
You will, but it'll be a repaint of the new Class II Slave-I. :P

Part of me thinks that would serve anyone right who was claiming, "Well those ships look pretty good to me and scale doesn't matter".  You kind of don't deserve a BMF Falcon Slave I if that was your stance on the Class II ship reduction.  Those things are pathetic.

The question of "So What Now?" makes me think about aliens today for some reason.  No clue why.

But I was thinking, Jabba got some cool ROTJ goons out last year, and this (or whenever) year I'd like to see some more Cantina and, more in general Mos Eisley, characters make it out.

I'd really like to see a couple humans, actually...  Garrouf Lafoe and Jabba's Douche Bag 94 goons really need to get out there.  I'm also into seeing Nabrun Leids redone, as well as the Cantina Midget.  I need this stuff.

For Jabba, I'm thinking his snaggletooth and Sgt. Doallyn.  It's their time.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2013, 03:44 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #204 on: January 9, 2013, 02:58 PM »
Part of me thinks that would serve anyone right who was claiming, "Well those ships look pretty good to me and scale doesn't matter".  You kind of don't deserve a BMF Falcon if that was your stance on the Class II ship reduction.  Those things are pathetic.

I’m buying them but only to serve as vehicles for my Kubricks. :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #205 on: January 9, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I slipped and meant Slave-I, not the BMF Falcon, but the point's basically the same...

And if you're using them for something else I think that's great.  I just noticed a lot of, "These are for kids, and so scale doesn't matter and people complaining should just shut up" type comments were flying around when the reduced size came up on these sets.  To me, they're comically underscaled.  They're mini-rigs for a lot of money, more or less...  and that's sort of an insult to mini-rigs since those at least were an attempt to LOOK like they were plausible.  These are just the same stuff we've gotten since 1995 only way smaller.  They're crap.

Hasbro is doing what they feel they have to do to keep a price point where it should be, since they seem to realize what they were charging was absurd and not selling anything, but at the same time I think this is a misstep in general.  Even from when I was a kid, part of the fun of the toys was they weren't dinky little knock-off looking ships.  These are, to me, for the most part.

Flying the B-Wing around in my front yard as a kid was, to me, a great memory.  And yes, the size of that ship was part of the fun for me as a kid.  Just as now I'm sure the BMF would have had my eyes fly open on Christmas morning.

I think they should've ditched that price point all together and refocused that money into the Class I sets.  They're just better in concept.  Save ships for exclusives then, and put the $/effort into something more substantial (retools of existing molds, repaints, etc).  You'd make them more appealing to retailers by there not being smaller/cheaper things on the shelf next to it, plus you'd get something out that everyone would be interested in.  You could maybe do larger runs too.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 9, 2013, 05:19 PM »
I'm hoping this whole idea was just an experiment they will soon abandon. I totally agree about those Class II abominations...if you go that route, better to at least sculpt something new and interesting, like the Twilight for example. Or the Z-95 Headhunter.

Really though, I'd much rather see them put the money into the Class I sets too, and maybe even shift the larger scale midsize vehicles to semi-annual special releases. Medium is the new big, and all that.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 9, 2013, 06:52 PM »
I think there's the potential for Class II to blow up in Hasbro's faces.  I certainly don't see the potential for sales with collectors.

As for other hopes?  Hasbro has always pledged to get product that they've shown publically out to fans/collectors.  So it leaves me thinking that they'll try to find a way to get these BAF droids out to market.

Personally, I'm hoping they can parlay this situation into a modern Droid Factory playset that includes the parts for the 4 droids Hasbro has already shown.  And if they can get some more droid parts in there, too?  So much the better.  Obviously, developing something like that could take a while.  And then there's the matter of shopping it to a retailer, because it would almost certainly have to be an exclusive.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #208 on: January 9, 2013, 08:16 PM »
What I also find troubling about the new class II size is the accompanying packaging. We saw packaged samples at CVI, and if you didn't know any better, you'd think that there was a larger vehicle in that box. This might be an issue for parents thinking that they are getting something more than advertised, especially with that hollow bottom Republic Fighter Tank.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #209 on: January 9, 2013, 08:22 PM »
That doesn't shock me at all, but yeah that's dickish.  They're acting like a potato chip company.  ::)