Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

The Future of Star Wars Collecting?

<< < (54/172) > >>

Nicklab:

--- Quote from: Paul on January 29, 2013, 09:04 PM ---Did anyone else read DD's quote and catch a bit disdain for collectors (who they now cater to)?

If it means OT goodness, I'm in.

--- End quote ---

I saw the "15th Cantina alien" remark as a bit of tough truth more than anything else.  As time has gone on Hasbro has made a lot of definitive versions of the main characters while working through the more obscure background characters.  Over time that narrows the pool of characters that might have a broader appeal, and ultimately that may hurt sales.  Why?  Because a kid may not really care about getting a Danz Borin figure, or whichever other cantina character you want to insert into that scenario.

I think from a sales perspective, Hasbro is still banking on the Star Wars line having mass appeal to a wide audience.  And it's in the name of sales to both kids and collectors.  I think what we're very likely to see is this:  higher production numbers of the kids oriented line, along with greater shelf & peg space, and lower production numbers on the Black Series, but with an eye towards serving collectors.

speedermike:
But Danz Borin would be in the Vintage line, which isn't aimed at kids.  Legacy/Movie Heroes/Whatever is aimed at the casual audience. This is where I can't understand Hasbro's logic. 

Jesse James:
I can't say TVC isn't aimed at kids a little bit too...  That's why you get your Obi's, QGJ's, Vaders there as well.  I think EVERYTHING's aimed at kids, with one line having some fan wanks stuck into it, and costed out throughout it, a bit more.

Jeff:
Just tossing this out there to alleviate concerns - straight from the latest PR email from Hasbro:

--- Quote ---Yesterday, Hasbro's new line of collector-targeted Star Wars figures, Star Wars Black, was announced on USAToday.com, which will include both traditional 3.75-inch action figures and a brand-new scale, 6-inch figures.
--- End quote ---

If Black Series is for collectors and it contains traditional 3.75" figures, then it stands to reason those 3.75" figures will continue to be $10+ collector-style 3.75" figures.

Whether or not the Movie Heroes/Clone Wars lines end up in $6/5POA land remains to be seen, but there should be enough evidence now to stop the "OMG the 3.75inch collector line is dead" stuff...  for now.  We'll see where we are next year if 3.75" has another year like 2012.  :-X

Jesse James:
EXACTLY!  That's what I'm saying.

There may not even be a cheap-o $5-ish range of figures.  That crap may all come back like always, with TCW and MH having their own sub-par lines dedicated pretty much solely to children.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version