Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

The Future of Star Wars Collecting?

<< < (56/172) > >>

bobafett14:
The more I think about it...I think were SW kinda ran into it's own dilema is that I would say that Eveyone agrees the OT was just phenominal.  On the other hand, the Prequels were received with mixed reviews. 

That said, we have people that have been arond for 30+ years now and we've lived though the same fiures over and over and over. So, if you'regoing to be bringing out the OT all over a gain for the 67 and a half time...I just see where the novelty eventually wears off somewhat.  Even if you're thatdie hard OT guy and an eternal optimist you can only see 634 different (and same) versions of Han Solo released over 30+ years before you say oh great...another han.

As as the prequel characters..even though they've only been out for about 14 years o so.. still I think you can only see Obi-Wan i his brow tunic so many times before you say...great ANOTHER Obi Wan.  3 3/4", 6", 12" 8 1/2"...whatever.  As bad as the companies are for churning out product over and over and over again...they became their worst enemies.

Scockery:

--- Quote ---Anyways, what's your outlook on the future of the line at this point?
--- End quote ---

Public interest will continue to decline until Episode VII, and sales the toy line will suffer for it. Things may even get worse before...if they ever get better.

That aside, I'm annoyed that Hasbro is shooting down  potentials for the 3 3/4" Black series. Plans to update Bespin Lando? No. Rebo Band? No, because the crappy exclusive Hasbro made of old figures didn't sell well. Yak Face and Ree Yees? Saving them for the return of vintage (to heck with the retro packaging fetish...okay...just reissue them on vintage cards whenever).  EU stuff? No.

Reissues of rare/highly desired figures? No. New figures will be entirely new.

Also something like "Don't expect a horde of cantina patrons".

So just what can we expect? X-Wing Luke do-over? Farmboy Luke do-over? Anakin do-overs? Clones? Not expecting too much interesting for 2014 now, either.

Jesse James:
I think that is only partially because, and I'm only speculating, but I am pretty sure Hasbro's been given the same edict that all possible attention should be getting paid and prepared for the new era of Star Wars... 

I think you'll see some things that were on the table, developed already, cranked out for The Black Series...  Things that were already far along in at least conceptualizing and possibly prototyped, and beyond that they're holding off or focusing a lot of the "new" towards new ideas like 6" and cheap(er) figures in the Legends. 

Outside that, I think 3.75" is going to be a little bit of a lull till new movies, all together.

I can safely say that the edict to focus on the future is true...  How each company goes with that will be different.  I think a lot of it will depend on the company's size.

jono:
Anyone care to guess what new sculpts we will see in this line?

I reckon for classic characters we will see new sculpts of

ESB Yoda
Dagobah Training Luke
Carbonite Han
Bespin Escape Leia
Boba fett
R2 D2
C3 P0
Tusken raiders

Backgrounders, From Cantina  -Tivizzt and Bannis Keeg and from jabbas Palace -Sgt Doalyn and an Ishi Tibb.

From the prequels i havn't a clue -hopefully not another ROTS Anakin and Obi?

McMetal:
I am really wondering now about the NEAR future, IE: now til August/September when the Black Series/Saga Legends lines debut.

I figure TRU will probably keep doing their thing, random restocks of TVC greatest hits for awhile, Yoda Class I & II sets as long as those last...probably nothing else for MH or TCW.

Hard to figure out Walmart right now. I saw one store that got the Greatest Hits TVC wave in, so I guess they are still stocking new figures. Not MH or TCW though. No sign of any of the new Yoda packaged stuff though - are they planning to stock those Class I and II sets? Seems like maybe they clearanced those price points already.

Target got the new Yoda Class I and II sets, but no new figures. With TVC being clearanced there it seems unlikely they will get any of the Greatest Hits stuff. And no new MH or TCW obviously. When the Yoda stuff sells through, will they be re-stocking?

I sort of wonder what kind of quantities the Yoda packaged stuff was produced in, and if what is out there in circulation is all that will be produced. (Guessing so)

I also have to think there is still MH and TCW product stuck in warehouses somewhere out there that may still see the light of day. Those may go straight to discount chains, ala the recent Assault Sub and Recon Fighter Class I sets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version