Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 235863 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #30 on: April 5, 2012, 04:17 PM »
Merge battle packs with whatever they are calling deluxe now and try to keep the price at $20 tops.

Speeder Bike/Scout Trooper and Ewok

Ewok Catapult/ 2 ewoks.

Escape Pod/R2-D2 and C-3PO

Wait...that's stuff people would buy. I mean, keep making that Naboo thingie in the same color over and over and charge $20 for it.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #31 on: April 5, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Put an astromech or other droid in every wave.  Save money since it's only a repaint, but still get good sales by making them or new, unmade characters. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 9, 2012, 02:40 PM »
Looking at the retail situation, it sort of seems like this TPM push might be hurting the line as it did back in 99/00.  Granted, there are other factors now too (distribution, pricing, fatigue, etc.)...but it sure seems like there is a lot of product sitting right now.  It makes me wonder if we'll see a shift to a POTJ-sized line like we did back then.  Honestly, that was one of the best times for collecting for me.  I was finishing college, working part time and having an unpaid internship and I could still keep up with the line for the most part.  It didn't seem nearly as stressful, and I even lived 45 minutes from a town with stores that even carried Star Wars and could still keep up (before I ever ordered online too).  I was looking back on those POTJ lineups, and it was a much more subdued approach (with 30 or so basic figures a year, plus deluxes and a couple vehicles/exclusives).

Again, it is a different time.  We have current entertainment (CW, although largely ignored by Hasbro lately), and movie releases that they obviously want to tie into (although we haven't heard diddly about AOTC 3D yet).  I know some would be unhappy with too drastic a cut back (and losing vehicles), but part of me thinks the SW brand needs it a little.  It used to feel more "special" at retail, where now it seems like everything has a SW logo slapped on it and there are so many ancillary lines going at any one time.  I'd still like to see new/redone beasties and vehicles, but if they included those in a conservative lineup (and possibly a unified line), I'd be ok with a POTJ-like set up in the future.

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 9, 2012, 04:11 PM »
that brings up a great post I have always thought we subisideize a lot of useless crap with our 3 3/4 pruchases

every molecule of plastic hasbro uses under this license that doesnt go directly to as yet unmade characters in 3 3/4 scale is a complete waste

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 9, 2012, 04:19 PM »
It makes me wonder if we'll see a shift to a POTJ-sized line like we did back then.  Honestly, that was one of the best times for collecting for me.  I was finishing college, working part time and having an unpaid internship and I could still keep up with the line for the most part.  It didn't seem nearly as stressful, and I even lived 45 minutes from a town with stores that even carried Star Wars and could still keep up (before I ever ordered online too).  I was looking back on those POTJ lineups, and it was a much more subdued approach (with 30 or so basic figures a year, plus deluxes and a couple vehicles/exclusives).

I stopped collecting SW figures early last year, but I have to agree with you on the POTJ days - those were probably the best times I had collecting in this hobby.  The line was perfect for what it was back in the day.  :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: April 9, 2012, 08:45 PM »
every molecule of plastic hasbro uses under this license that doesnt go directly to as yet unmade characters in 3 3/4 scale is a complete waste

I don't agree with that...

I like resculpts.  I think this line is due quite a few of them...  I like new characters too, but they're really getting to where all new is real obscure for the most part.  Not entirely, but close to that point.

I'd buy a new ANH Han if they really went ga ga with him and delivered something amazing.  I'd buy almost any character, at least OT ones, that got a resculpt that really impressed me.  I still feel like Farmboy Luke is flapping in the breeze, there's Han's needing updating badly (Carbonite, just off the top of my head, aliens I'd rebuy (Nabrun Leids, Takeel, Lak Sivrak, Skiff Klaatu, POTF2 Nikto, Duros)...  I'm not against resculpts.

I agree on things like those choppers that bombed, and other similar ideas.  I also understand though, that Hasbro is grasping at straws with kids who they feel put more money into the line.  As always, feel free to believe that or not I guess.  I believe it though.

Now, as far as resculpts go though, to me, that's about the only way a 3.75" line can really go short of EU which is ultimately much more obscure than the film stuff.  I like new stuff, and seeing the collection grow to absurdly diverse proportions, but I'm maybe even more interested in the latest/greatest version of some of these characters.  Especially the longer they go without an update.  ANH Leia anyone?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 9, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Now, as far as resculpts go though, to me, that's about the only way a 3.75" line can really go short of EU which is ultimately much more obscure than the film stuff.  I like new stuff, and seeing the collection grow to absurdly diverse proportions, but I'm maybe even more interested in the latest/greatest version of some of these characters.  Especially the longer they go without an update.  ANH Leia anyone?

I'm in the same boat.  I'm definitely all for all-new characters as well (particularly ones from the OT), but anymore I get more excited about resculpts of past figures (some from as far back as POTF2).  Looking at the year ahead, some of the stuff I'm looking forward to the most (Hoth Luke, Bespin Leia, Royal Guard, the recent Skiff Lando, Prune Face, Nien Nunb, Tarkin, Weequay, and even the VC Jar Jar) are all things we've seen before.  I still buy virtually all of the Vintage line, but I seem to look forward to the OT figures the most - and resculpted ones at that.  Oh, and put me in the camp that would really like to see a "new" New Hope Leia.  Our daughter has been way into SW the past couple months, and it made me realize how long it has been since we've seen the iconic white dress Leia on the pegs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 06:12 PM »
I think resculpts are fine too... as long as it's an upgrade.  Repacks aren't the end of the world either, when done in moderation and for characters that are in high demand. 

It's the balancing act of case ratios and carry forward figures that is Hasbro's biggest problem right now, in my opinion.  Why on earth, for example, wouldn't they include two of Malgus per case in his initial assortment?  It makes no sense.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I was really hoping we'd see the rest of the original Kenner line updated and put onto modern Vintage cards. Sure we'll still quite a ways away from that, but the fact that they're shelving the Vintage Collection at the end of this year does bother me quite a bit.

They could easily revisit many of them by just Vintage carding sculpts that already exist:
Luke Skywalker (Resurgence of the Jedi BP w/Soft Goods "skirt" from Death Star escape figure)
R2-D2 (Resurgence of the Jedi BP)
Chewbacca (Early Bird Kit)
C-3PO (Star Wars logo cardback using Resurgence of the Jedi BP figure)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Resurgence of the Jedi BP)
Han Solo (VC42 w/o Medal w/Original Kenner Cardback Photo)
Jawa (2009 Legacy Collection)
Death Star Droid (Build-a-droid sculpt, brushed nickel is fine, does not need to be chromed)
FX-7 (POTJ)
Hoth Han (Droid Factory version w/the hood up)
Ugnaught (take the Legacy Ugnaught w/apron, paint the jumpsuit gray and use the head from the second one)
Hoth Rebel Commander (Legacy Hoth Rebel Trooper)
AT-AT Driver (from the Imperial 3-Pack Set @Target)
C-3PO w/Removeable Limbs (C-3PO colored BAD protocol droid)
Black Bespin Security Guard (Legacy collection body w/a compatible better head sculpt, like from the Endor Rebel)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight) (lightsaber construction BluRay figure w/correct cloak)
Chief Chirpa (2006 Saga Collection - it's good enough)
Skiff Guard Lando (just take the Sandstorm figure package, loose extra bits & put it on Vintage cardback)
Emperor (cobble him together from various Sidious/Palpatine parts)
AT-ST Driver (Target Attack on Hoth set)
Paploo (Legacy collection)
Endor Luke Skywalker (just take the endor capture figure and add the bits from the Battle for Endor BP)
Romba (TAC release)
Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Armor (Legacy Collection release)
Warok (Battle for Endor BP)
A-Wing Pilot (Arvel Crynyd from WalMart A-Wing exclusive)

That's 26 opportunities to just pack in a sculpt that ALREADY EXISTS and get it out there on a Vintage card, put it back out in circulation and help to keep overall wave costs down. That's the almighty denominator now right? Keeping the costs of a wave down? Seems to me that you could easily bulk up those 5 figure waves with two or three of each of the repacks I suggest above and there would definitely be folks willing to buy them or get a second chance at them. The Resurgence of the Jedi Battlepack Luke for example would be a great figure to get out there, I'd love to have more of him to put in vehicles like the T-16 and his Landspeeder. Not to mention add to a cantina diorama.

And then that leaves these re-sculpts/minor retools/new sculpts:
Snaggletooth (Red)
Snaggletooth (Blue) - can use same head as Red Snaggletooth
Hammerhead
Power Droid
Bespin Security Guard (the Legacy Collection figure w/new head sculpt)
Lobot
Imperial Commander
2-1B
Leia in Boushh Disguise
Rebel Commando (resculpt of the POTF2 figure)
Tessek (Squid Head)
General Madine
Bib Fortuna
Ree-Yees
8D8
Skiff Guard Klaatu
Teebo
Amanaman
Imperial Gunner - should be able to cobble something together starting with the 2006 Saga Collection fig
Han Solo in Carbonite
Anakin Skywalker - take the Ghost Hayden figure, pair it with a new Shaw head sculpt and done
EV-9D9
Imperial Dignitary
Yak Face

And there 24 re-sculpts/minor re-toolings/new sculpts in my 2nd list. Those could be peppered into the line OR better yet, if they kept Vintage going up through the rest of the 3D re-releases like they should, just spread them out during those movie years - heck - for ROTJ - Boussh Leia, Carbonite Han, Endor Luke, Rebel Commando, Emperor, Bib Fortuna, Chief Chirpa, Imperial Dignitary, EV-9D9, A-Wing Pilot, Skiff Guard Klaatu & TVC Vader re-released on ROTJ Cardback (second Kenner Photo) would all make for a great 12 figure ROTJ Vintage wave.

Ultimately there is no reason for the line to be so stagnant right now. I would much rather be getting re-packed-on-Vintage-cardback ultimate versions of figures then getting horrible assortments with carry-forward figures that are put in there simply for the sake of keeping wave costs down.

Why can't Hasbro just be smarter about their decisions? It doesn't take advanced Marketing or Business degrees or fancy forecasting analysis to realize that having the SAME Qui-Gon Jinn sculpt on Vintage, Movie Hero and Discover the Force cardbacks is a BAD idea and is going to result in LOTS of Qui-Gon clogging the pegs.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 07:52 PM »
This is kind of an off-shoot of this topic, but the vehicle line seems to be largely forgotten anymore.  Sure, we've got those TPM re-releases collecting dust, but announcements for new vehicles are few and far between.  I'm beginning to wonder when/if that new Naboo Starfighter will hit retail, and is there even anything else new announced in this area beyond that for the rest of the year?  I know we've got the deluxe vehicles, and the MTT, but it really seems like vehicles are forgotten right now.  I'm wondering if we'll see them phased out/exclusive similar to during other times of the line - or if we'll continue to just see mainly a round of re-releases for each of the 3D movies (particularly the prequel ones, as those vehicles have been pretty recently made/out).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 08:34 PM »
When vehicles went above $20, they basically lost it to me except for that brief spurt of new OT goodness.  Snowspeeder?  I'm in.  CC?  Sure.  90th Jedi Fighter repaint?  Hahahah, no.

And when they went to $30, yeah, who gives a poop now?  The vehicles for that line are largely done (the ones I wanted anyway), and anything else is pretty much so underscaled I wno't even consider it.  For $30 I expect something really impressive, not just deco changes.

I love the V19, but even if it was repainted to look like someone actually used it, I'd not buy it now.  Only a Snowspeeder might get me.  Even then, it'll be one and done for me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 04:28 AM »
If Hasbro wanted this line to continue, they'd stop nonsense like only offering Wedge in a revision case (again) and repacking Qui-Gon (again) in the 4.1 case.

They've made some pretty stupid mistakes, and it's really their own fault. I know that if I was in charge of of the brand, there's no way in Hell I'd have put all my eggs in the TPM basket again, since it worked out so well the last time.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 01:52 PM »
A better skiff would be nice. Don't want to wait 5 years for it. But even it was releases tomorrow, $30 would still be a bit much, I'd more likely wait for a sale.

I expect they will have vehicles for AOTC 3D if retailers are still interested, like that spider droid they need to make more money from, and the Jedi fighter redone with tool/cargo containers and no pop off wings.

Watch them make Slave 1 in AOTC deco the "BMF", too, with an exclusive young Boba and Jango Fett. No OT version for you!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 05:51 PM »
In all fairness, all their eggs are not in one basket with TPM... and most of that stuff has sold fine... Too many carry forwards, but really we have not seen a disaster with logjams from the first TVC wave.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 05:56 PM »
Hasbro has to understand it has made horrible decisions about what and how much it has shipped. Question is does it care?
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise