Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

The Future of Star Wars Collecting?

<< < (113/172) > >>

Diddly:
Seems like overkill to me, but I also can count on one hand the amount of figures I actually purchased at retail stores in 2018; essentially only stuff I absolutely couldn't order online. One of those lines absolutely will not be stocked on retail shelves, and based on 2018, it'll be TVC.

Jeff:

--- Quote from: Brian on January  7, 2019, 08:43 PM ---I could see there being some truth to this as well. I do think, and think it was mentioned at Yakface or in the comments there, that it might be closer to 6" scale. That's hiw the Marvel line(s) are anyway. They might be slightly smaller, but I don't think they are quite down to 5" scale because every once in awhile they throw in a character that hasn't been made in Legends yet (like movie Shocker from Spider-Man: Homecoming), that collectors pick up. I think that line does fairly well too, although I don't watch too closely.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, Target peg tags (and Hasbro press releases) call them 6" figures, but they are a bit smaller than the 6-inch size/scale that Marvel Legends uses. I think some folks call it a 5" line just to separate it from the 6" Legends stuff.  They are closer to 6" than 5" though.

I'm really interested to see how this all pans out. 

If budget $10 6" figures is how Hasbro approaches Episode 9, Hasbro must see something in their Marvel sales data that says a 7POA $10 6" figure line will sell better than a 5POA $8 3.75" line.  Maybe there's a cost savings there where they make a better margin on the $10 6" figure than the $8 3.75" figure?  Will 6" Black Series collectors supplement their 6" collections with some of the 6" budget figures (like Brian said the Marvel Legends buyers do)? 

What are the "3.75-inch only" collectors going to do?  Hope TVC still offers something interesting?  Will they give up?  Finally jump to 6" stuff?  Burn their whole collection in one giant bonfire (#Rob)?

What does TVC/3.75" look like in 2020?  $13 figures where 50% are new (and some of those 'new' are just new deco) and 50% are repack isn't going to make it.  Too many peg-warmers unless they really get the mixes right.  Will Hasbro have the balls to raise prices to help get more new figures into the mix?  Will the market support the price hike or will more of the market give-up, choosing $20 6" over $16 3.75"?

And there is still the looming question of the Star Wars license.  Does Hasbro still want it?  Does Disney still want Hasbro to have it? Does Disney want it for themselves?  Does Disney break it up (mini-figures at LEGO, 4" at Mattel, 6" at Hasbro, 12", etc)?   I can see Disney wanting it for themselves but at the same time I can't see them passing up the money they'd get by opening up the license to more people (the way they did with the 6" license expansion in Asia - SHFiguarts, MAFEX, etc).

Interesting times ahead...

Darby:

--- Quote ---Hope TVC still offers something interesting?
--- End quote ---

This is me. Provided 5 POA does go away, which is a big if I think, I would hope TVC would expand proportionally but that is unlikely. Personally I really enjoy 5POA and outside of the trooper/Jedi/main characters don't really need SA versions of every character. I like them, but 10 POA would be ok. 12. TVC I think is in real trouble already. At least around me, 5POA sells. I know Solo didn't do well, but the figures did. If Hasbro withdrew from 3.75 or escalated prices beyond their current level, I'd be out.

Rob:

--- Quote from: Darby on January  8, 2019, 02:20 PM ---This is me. Provided 5 POA does go away, which is a big if I think, I would hope TVC would expand proportionally but that is unlikely. Personally I really enjoy 5POA and outside of the trooper/Jedi/main characters don't really need SA versions of every character. I like them, but 10 POA would be ok. 12. TVC I think is in real trouble already. At least around me, 5POA sells. I know Solo didn't do well, but the figures did. If Hasbro withdrew from 3.75 or escalated prices beyond their current level, I'd be out.

--- End quote ---

5 POA works for me depending on the sculpt. If the sculpts are strong and the details are there, I'm not so worried about the articulation.  I'm not sure if he has more than 5 POA, but Quay Tolsite is a good example... that's a great looking figure, even if he doesn't have ball joints all over.

Darby:
Quay might be 7 (most of the recent ones are 7 or 8). But definitely he's a great example of a figure who doesn't need much. He looks great, like Moloch or Rio. A couple extra joints on Rio would have been fine, but he's good for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version