Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 235845 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #270 on: January 30, 2013, 03:56 PM »
traditional 3.75" figures

Traditional meaning... 5POA? OMG DETH OF TEH LINE!!!!!!11!!!!!1111  :P

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 30, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Yeah, they wouldn't bother releasing 33/4" under this "black series" if the figures would be kiddiefied, they'd stick those under Movie Heroes. Collector aimed 3 3/4" is probably safe for now, by "now" I mean the last 6 months of this year.  :P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #272 on: January 31, 2013, 12:35 PM »
From our Facebook page thanks to speedermike :-*

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #273 on: January 31, 2013, 01:39 PM »
I kinda like the initial looks of the 6" line, but I'm also torn.   Seeing the Luke... the figure itself looks great, plusthe packaging is really nice!  I also like how the accessories are not just packed in, but almost displayed.  Very much aimed at the collector.

I say I "kinda" like the line, and I'm probably goin to buy it, but I may wait ad play the clearance deals on this one, ad see what happens.  Iget that odd feeling I'm going to get burned if I shell out $20 a pop over and over again with this line.

I'd be gung ho for it, but I just don't have the trust in Hasbro they'll treat this line well.  I completely get that they are a company and thier #1 goal will be to make money and keep thier investors happy.  No secrets there.  I just think there's a way to mke money AND keep collectors happy.  Maybe  say "Hey, let's keep things going with all the toys and all like we always do, but what if we just steppd aside and had this nice little 6" line and devote it to the collectors/fans.  We'll treat it a little different an try not to bastardize it.  We may not make as much as the rest of the stuff we churn out, but it will make our fanbase happy, and it might just give them a warm fuzzy feeling, put the fun bck into it all, and keep them coming back for more...for the long haul...which would be a good thing for everyone

...wouldn't it?

Bob
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00 PM »
So, after the Toy Fair reveals, what does everyone think of the "future" of Star Wars collecting at this point?  I really like the look of the 6" figures - and personally, I'm on board for at least the OT characters - but it seems like actual buyers are pretty split at least on our forums.  As far as the 3 3/4" scale, as we said last year when we saw these, the figures look nicely done - just kind of boring.  I'm the type of person that can understand that we're not going to get waves of "all new, never before done, first time ever" figures, especially at this stage of the collecting game - but the lineups so far just seem sort of blah.  I'm wondering if that won't hurt the 3 3/4" scale even more going forward.

Switching the Legends line to 5 POA/$6 figures is ok with me.  I do think that kids need something more affordable to collect, even if the action figure age window is smaller these days.  I remember being able to save up allowance or just collect a few bucks and be able to buy a SW (or Joe) figure at our local hardware/variety store for $3 or so.  Although I'm sure allowances have gone up, it has to be tough for kids who do have an interest in SW to keep up these days.  I think we're seeing a more definite line in the sand as far as "this is for kids, this is for collectors".

I'm also fine with the addition of 6" figures.  I'm a 3 3/4" scale figure enthusiast first and foremost, but I do think that the SW line (much like the brand in general) needed a shot in the arm.  The Disney acquisition/movie announcement did that for the brand, and I think the 6" figures are going to do that for the toyline.  Many won't buy in due to such an investment in the smaller scale at this point (but at least we're still getting those too), but I think this will be a popular line among collectors in general (non-SW focused included).  Probably stupidly, I plan on buying both, with a continued focus on OT.

My one future concern comes mainly with the lines that will accompany the new movies when they start up.  I know I'll be in for some stuff, and I just hope that the 3 3/4" scale is going strong at that point.  I would think it would, because otherwise you really miss opportunities for vehicles, beasts and maybe even playsets.  I would hope that alone would keep the scale going.  I am curious if they'll continue with "collector" versions and "kid" versions at that point, or - if sales of the upcoming Black Series waves are poor - we'll just get the simpler figures with scaled down vehicles, etc.  It is a ways off yet, but I think that is one of my main concerns going forward.  I'll continue buying 3 3/4" figures this year and beyond, but honestly, if they were taking a break or something I think I'd be understanding.  We really have had an incredible run of figures, and a very broad selection of characters - even ridiculous when you think about some of the things we've gotten.  Sometimes I do think we get too riled up about "Cantina Alien #15", when you look back at when POTF2 started we couldn't have imagined getting Ephant Mon, the AT-ST jackin' ewoks, etc. let alone start asking for stuff like Jaxxon and Jabba's human goons.  Not saying I don't want them all, but I don't think any of us imagined we'd get this deep into the lineup.  Anyways, what's your outlook on the future of the line at this point?

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #275 on: February 13, 2013, 04:59 PM »
The more I think about it...I think were SW kinda ran into it's own dilema is that I would say that Eveyone agrees the OT was just phenominal.  On the other hand, the Prequels were received with mixed reviews. 

That said, we have people that have been arond for 30+ years now and we've lived though the same fiures over and over and over. So, if you'regoing to be bringing out the OT all over a gain for the 67 and a half time...I just see where the novelty eventually wears off somewhat.  Even if you're thatdie hard OT guy and an eternal optimist you can only see 634 different (and same) versions of Han Solo released over 30+ years before you say oh great...another han.

As as the prequel characters..even though they've only been out for about 14 years o so.. still I think you can only see Obi-Wan i his brow tunic so many times before you say...great ANOTHER Obi Wan.  3 3/4", 6", 12" 8 1/2"...whatever.  As bad as the companies are for churning out product over and over and over again...they became their worst enemies.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 13, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Anyways, what's your outlook on the future of the line at this point?

Public interest will continue to decline until Episode VII, and sales the toy line will suffer for it. Things may even get worse before...if they ever get better.

That aside, I'm annoyed that Hasbro is shooting down  potentials for the 3 3/4" Black series. Plans to update Bespin Lando? No. Rebo Band? No, because the crappy exclusive Hasbro made of old figures didn't sell well. Yak Face and Ree Yees? Saving them for the return of vintage (to heck with the retro packaging fetish...okay...just reissue them on vintage cards whenever).  EU stuff? No.

Reissues of rare/highly desired figures? No. New figures will be entirely new.

Also something like "Don't expect a horde of cantina patrons".

So just what can we expect? X-Wing Luke do-over? Farmboy Luke do-over? Anakin do-overs? Clones? Not expecting too much interesting for 2014 now, either.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I think that is only partially because, and I'm only speculating, but I am pretty sure Hasbro's been given the same edict that all possible attention should be getting paid and prepared for the new era of Star Wars... 

I think you'll see some things that were on the table, developed already, cranked out for The Black Series...  Things that were already far along in at least conceptualizing and possibly prototyped, and beyond that they're holding off or focusing a lot of the "new" towards new ideas like 6" and cheap(er) figures in the Legends. 

Outside that, I think 3.75" is going to be a little bit of a lull till new movies, all together.

I can safely say that the edict to focus on the future is true...  How each company goes with that will be different.  I think a lot of it will depend on the company's size.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Anyone care to guess what new sculpts we will see in this line?

I reckon for classic characters we will see new sculpts of

ESB Yoda
Dagobah Training Luke
Carbonite Han
Bespin Escape Leia
Boba fett
R2 D2
C3 P0
Tusken raiders

Backgrounders, From Cantina  -Tivizzt and Bannis Keeg and from jabbas Palace -Sgt Doalyn and an Ishi Tibb.

From the prequels i havn't a clue -hopefully not another ROTS Anakin and Obi?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2013, 10:00 AM »
I am really wondering now about the NEAR future, IE: now til August/September when the Black Series/Saga Legends lines debut.

I figure TRU will probably keep doing their thing, random restocks of TVC greatest hits for awhile, Yoda Class I & II sets as long as those last...probably nothing else for MH or TCW.

Hard to figure out Walmart right now. I saw one store that got the Greatest Hits TVC wave in, so I guess they are still stocking new figures. Not MH or TCW though. No sign of any of the new Yoda packaged stuff though - are they planning to stock those Class I and II sets? Seems like maybe they clearanced those price points already.

Target got the new Yoda Class I and II sets, but no new figures. With TVC being clearanced there it seems unlikely they will get any of the Greatest Hits stuff. And no new MH or TCW obviously. When the Yoda stuff sells through, will they be re-stocking?

I sort of wonder what kind of quantities the Yoda packaged stuff was produced in, and if what is out there in circulation is all that will be produced. (Guessing so)

I also have to think there is still MH and TCW product stuck in warehouses somewhere out there that may still see the light of day. Those may go straight to discount chains, ala the recent Assault Sub and Recon Fighter Class I sets.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2013, 11:06 AM »
I am really wondering now about the NEAR future, IE: now til August/September when the Black Series/Saga Legends lines debut.

I figure TRU will probably keep doing their thing, random restocks of TVC greatest hits for awhile, Yoda Class I & II sets as long as those last...probably nothing else for MH or TCW.

Hard to figure out Walmart right now. I saw one store that got the Greatest Hits TVC wave in, so I guess they are still stocking new figures. Not MH or TCW though. No sign of any of the new Yoda packaged stuff though - are they planning to stock those Class I and II sets? Seems like maybe they clearanced those price points already.

Target got the new Yoda Class I and II sets, but no new figures. With TVC being clearanced there it seems unlikely they will get any of the Greatest Hits stuff. And no new MH or TCW obviously. When the Yoda stuff sells through, will they be re-stocking?

I sort of wonder what kind of quantities the Yoda packaged stuff was produced in, and if what is out there in circulation is all that will be produced. (Guessing so)

I also have to think there is still MH and TCW product stuck in warehouses somewhere out there that may still see the light of day. Those may go straight to discount chains, ala the recent Assault Sub and Recon Fighter Class I sets.

While scouring local stores over the past week looking for clearance deals, I found quite a few instances of Movie Heroes Wave 2 (Light-up Obi Wan & Qui-Gon, plus TPM characters) being stocked. This week marked the first time I saw the wave at Target and TRU. While I did see it at one local Wal-Mart last year, it was limited to just that one store. This has me thinking that stores are attempting to finally start moving out old stock, or that the "Greatest Hits" re-shipments aren't limited to just TVC. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2013, 02:22 PM »

Jedi Temple Archives reported that Target is cancelling Star Wars action figure aisle product for their reset planograms. Some stores reset before the official deletion.

We might just see Yoda packaged stuff hit clearance already there already?!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2013, 05:27 PM »
I checked a couple of Target stores that had reset this week earlier today and the new stuff still came up at regular price, but I will be curious to see if they restock once they sell through the initial case. (Class I sets I mean, those 12" abominations aren't going anywhere)

The Darth Maul BP has officially been terminated in their system as well.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #283 on: February 17, 2013, 01:20 AM »
They may just be purging things, since the line's taken a major shift.  I'm going to guess they'll have something, but incase anyone happened to miss it the last year or two, Target kind of already "cancelled" Star Wars too...  They haven't exactly been restock happy all year.

People found some Class I restocks?  Fantastic, but from my angle, Target was pretty down on Star Wars ALL year, as was Wal-Mart...  TRU was the only one actively putting product out, and putting it on sale...  Oh if they only knew they had zero competition aside from online stores.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I was reading through Adam's Q and A this week over at GH, and he mentions in there that he feels the 10+ articulation range 3 3/4" line won't make it past 2013.  Do you think there is a chance of this?  I could see that maybe they are testing the waters a bit with having the 5 POA line be the "main" line, and the 6" line being the "collectors" line, but it all depends on how things do.  Unfortunately, I don't know if the lineups for the first couple waves of the Black Series are going to do it any favors.  Like I said, I like the idea of there being a durable, affordable "kids" line out there...but I do sort of hope we continue to get TVC-quality figures for collectors as well - particularly when the new movies come out.  I still love what we're getting in the line now too, but can admit that the well for new characters (or even necessary resculpts) gets a little drier all the time.