Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 236404 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #480 on: December 23, 2014, 11:55 PM »

Star Wars is a completely different animal.  All new movies, all new characters.  I believe there will be a 3.75" line.  What it looks like?  That's a different question.

I'm going to guess:
$7 - 3.75" 5POA line
$15 - 3.75" premium collector line (like VOTC was back in 2004).  Maybe clamshells, maybe on vintage-style cards, maybe even exclusive.

I think we'll get what we want... but I think we're going to pay for it as well.

I'm not so sure it'll get pricier.  When Episode III came out figures dropped back down to $4.99 because they made money through volume and not MSRP.  I'm hoping we see cheaper figures (than now, not than 2005) when Episode VII hits.   It's going to be incredibly lucrative.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #481 on: December 24, 2014, 12:40 AM »
My guess: 5POA 2.5" figures (2pks) & vehicles, no Saga Legends figures, LE/Premium 3.75" figures & vehicles, 6" mainline

IF the 2.5" speculation comes to fruition, I just can't see Hasbro having a 2.5" 5POA scale and a 3.75" 5POA scale competing for retail space.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #482 on: December 24, 2014, 04:27 AM »
We'll see what happens as Hasbro definitely is entertaining this new scale (which with Guardians didn't seem to move, but not sure) but I think if Hasbro were intent on abandoning 3.75 for SW, they would have done it. They seem to be investing further into Saga Legends / Mission Series into 2015 and I can't picture a scenario where they abandon that all of a sudden come September. Because it stops selling? 3.75 hasn't 'sold' properly since 2012 at least, and they still make it in spite of the market. Mission Series where I'm at least trumps everything else, and I can see this persisting in lieu of single SL figures; it's a better value for the consumer and as we've already seen it creates army building and repetitive buying potential, as well as cover for figures that may appear to be traditionally unappealing (girl figures, though I've never bought this concept myself).

Avengers/Marvel seems to have a particular issue at 3.75 that SW does not. Those figures simply don't sell. It's the same figure of the Hulk or Iron Man that it's been since say Iron Man 2 or early Marvel Universe and nobody is buying them anymore. SW is a universe which generates massive amount of unique characters and diversity and lends itself to more variety in the toy aisle. I was sad to see Guardians didn't get a 3.75 line as that movie was made for it but oh well. Maybe 10 years from now Funko will make one.

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 15, 2015, 11:55 AM »
I think hasbro is trying to kill the star wars line slowly in favor of their products

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 15, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Kill off the 3 3/4" collector's market. They'll string the 6" fans for a few years with maybe a dozen new figures a year at most and how ever many clone/stormtrooper/astromech/Boba Fett repaints fans can take.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 15, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I think hasbro is trying to kill the star wars line slowly in favor of their products

In favor of what, specifically?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 16, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Stopped in at one of my area Target stores.  Lo and behold, TBS 3.75" basic figures were still priced at $9.99 each.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #487 on: January 16, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Have they done their seasonal reset yet?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 16, 2015, 04:03 PM »
My Target has..reset
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 16, 2015, 05:17 PM »
The stores where I've se the increased prices along with this one have not done any resetting.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 6, 2015, 10:06 PM »
has the newest darth vaders head been fixed?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 21, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Saw something scary this passed week. Stopped in my area's flagship TRU in Los Angeles, the Porter Ranch store, and found a rest SW isle with no shelf space allotted for 3 3/4 inch figures whatsoever. Black, Mission, Legends, Rebels; nothing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 21, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Walmart has been like that since ep1 3d figures didn't sell. In fact they still have some with no price sticker.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 21, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Was travelling to a small South Carolina town (40,000 people) that surprisingly had a TRU.  I had the opposite experience of seeing a weird double aisle with Star Wars items on both sides.  Probably twice the content I've seen elsewhere and mostly allotted to Hasbro items.  Although they still didn't have anything I was looking for...

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 27, 2015, 09:13 AM »
Don't know what it means and maybe it's old news but hts shows everything out of stock if you search "black series"
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within