Author Topic: Fun With Heads... Head Swapping Compilation Thread!  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Fun With Heads... Head Swapping Compilation Thread!
« on: March 8, 2012, 01:38 AM »
After tinkering around with some headswapping, I thought I'd start a thread on it that we can have handy for those curious about what heads work with what figures, and which maybe barely do, perhaps with only slight modification.

I'm not entirely sure how to do this thread, actually...  if I should just update the first or second post with the headswaps that work, as they're submitted, or what we'll do, but we're going to give this a whirl as something to have handy here as new figures come out.

I'm going to ONLY include heads that need slight, or no modifications...  This is less a thread for customizing, and more a thread for swaps that aren't terribly hard for anyone to do, or more for heads that require zero modification at all.

Base Figure:                                               Compatible Head & Details:
-2003 Saga Captain Antilles                         -2010 Vintage Endor Rebel (No Modification)

-2010 Vintage Endor Rebel                          -2003 Saga Capt. Antilles
                                                                 (Requires slight filling of the head for
                                                                 fit)
                                                                 -Build-A-Droid Bespin Guard
                                                                 (Requires painting, or swap to the
                                                                 Black Variation Trooper)

-BAD Hoth Rebel Body                                -Vint. Rebel Fleet Trooper
                                                                -

-Vint. Rebel Fleet Trooper                           -BAD Hoth Rebels
                                                                (All Variations)
                                                                -

-Vint. Endor Capture Luke                           -Vint. Deleted Scene Luke

-Vint. Deleted Scene Luke                           -Vint. Endor Capture Luke

This is a work in progress, and will only get my attention when I have the time, which isn't often these days, but I'm just giving fair warning, and don't be offended if I don't get to your suggestions right away. :)  I'll try to stay on this as much as possible.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:02 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Fun With Heads... Head Swapping Compilation Thread!
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2012, 08:17 AM »

Anyway I'm open to opinions on how the compiling of this should look.  A figure's name on the left for the base body, and to the right all the names of the figure's heads that fit it?

Perfect.  I'll contribute when I get the chance this weekend.

There is a thread like this at RS, but it was taking me more than a few minutes to figure out the way it was configured, and quite frankly too much of my attention span, concentration and patience is used up at the office during the day to sit down and try to figure that out.

Your idea is good.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2012, 11:59 AM »
These guys were Legacy collection, but it's a good one for adding diversity to the Rebels and making another background alien.

-Pons Limbic and Major Panno heads and hands swap well.

You'll need to paint their necks or cover them up (easy with Panno's pancho...which is really a cloak...I just  the sound of"panno's pancho"  :D )

I assume that will apply to Orrinmarko, too.

One of my favorite goofy ones is the AT-AT Driver's clone head  (the coolest Clone head sculpt ever) on Jedi Luke (Endor capture).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:57 PM »
I'm gonna try to build this some this week...  Life's hectic though, so don't worry if I'm slow with it, I'm just too busy to bother and don't want this to be annoying/stressful for me so I'll just work at it when I can.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:06 AM »
I've found that if you have a head that is "loose" on another figure, a great way to make it tighter is to put a little ball of Sculpey or clay in the head and press it onto the new figure.  The clay then squished down around the ball joint and tightens up nicely.  If you are using Scupley, you can then boil it for a minute or two to harden the Scupley.

A few of the customs I've done lately have been more in depth than entire arm & leg swaps. Many of the recent figures have consistent enough posts that you can also swap parts at the elbow, knee or ankle.  Some end up being loose, in which case, the clay trick works again.

I really wish they would just standardize all the ball joint post sizes (like the Joes) so the parts were completely swap-able.
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline MasterFisto

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:44 AM »
I just tried this last weekend:

The head from Luke Skywalker (Endor Capture) fits nicely on the body of Luke Skywalker (Lightsaber Construction).  This allows us nit-picky collectors to correct Hasbro's "hair" mistake on the newer figure.

;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:32 PM »
That's good news Fisto because I wanted to try that but don't have my older Luke handy to try, so now I just know I can go with that.

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:03 PM »
I ended up swapping one of the comic pack Lukes heads onto the deleted scene luke. It wasn't a straight swap, I actually cut the swapped him at the neck (drilled a little well into his collar and super glued). It really wasn't that bad. It probably took about 15-20 minutes.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21 AM »
Damn that is a really good Mark Hamill likeness.

They really never got Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher though.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 11:37 AM »
I dunno...  I think the VOTC Han is pretty close in likeness...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:03 PM »
OK, giving it a whirl here...  That Luke head, I believe, is from the HTTE comic pack with Mara Jade...  I'll try to remember to add that.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Heres a couple that I've done that work.

Pons Limbic fits on the Vintage Snowtrooper and vice versa.
TVC Rebel Fleet Trooper fits on Rebel Honor Guard and vice versa.
TVC Naboo Guard fits on the Endor Commando and the Rebel Fleet Trooper, Endor Commando fits on Naboo but is a bit loose and the Rebel Fleet trooper fits on the Naboo body no problem.