Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2012  (Read 23552 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
NFL Offseason 2012
« on: March 8, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Peyton is released and nobody cares I guess...he sure would look good in purple

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Offseason 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2012, 09:06 PM »

Yikes, the Ponder bandwagon over already?

Rooting for the Seahawks, Cardinals, or Dolphins to win the Manning sweepstakes, thus saving the Redskins from making yet another costly blunder that will set the franchise back even further.

RGIII FTW!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2012, 02:17 AM »

Who knows if this guy is even gonna play again.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2012, 07:49 AM »
And we haven't talked about bounty-gate either. 

I'm not worried about the Cowboys showing up in the news for that one, they haven't hit anybody in years.

I'd like to see Peyton Manning play again but I just don't see it happening.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2012, 08:07 AM »
You have to wonder if he is really worth it at this point.  Isn't he 36?  I think his price tag would cause salary cap issues for a lot of teams.  I'm sure the Redskin's fantasy football team captain owner will make a play at him, but I doubt Peyton wants to play in a colder climate or face his little brother twice a year.  I'm still hoping that the Skins trade up in the draft and pick a young QB.  Synder still hasn't learned his lesson about buying big name players though.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Manning is a huge risk-reward case, probably the biggest one ever.  It pains me as a Pats fan to say it, but the guy is elite, and an instant game-changer.  If he is healthy. 

I think Indy made the right move, though I am not sure why the league never investigated their obvious tanking to get the top pick.

I think Manning ends up in Miami.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2012, 08:51 PM »
You have to wonder if he is really worth it at this point.  Isn't he 36?  I think his price tag would cause salary cap issues for a lot of teams.  I'm sure the Redskin's fantasy football team captain owner will make a play at him, but I doubt Peyton wants to play in a colder climate or face his little brother twice a year.  I'm still hoping that the Skins trade up in the draft and pick a young QB.  Synder still hasn't learned his lesson about buying big name players though.

Apparently he has already told the 'Skins he is not interested in joining the team, so we can both breathe easier tonight. I guess he was not keen on facing Eli twice a year plus he seems to want to stay in the AFC. Crisis averted.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48 PM »
Nice news to wake up to...Skins trade the house for rights to snag RGIII next month.  :o

It only cost:
2012 First Round pick
2012 Second Round pick
2013 First Round pick
2014 First Round pick

Yikes. I definitely think they overpaid, but I also think it's the right move and one they had to make. Cleveland was essentially offering the same deal, only they came late and apparently balked at trading both their first round picks this year, and Skins had a higher second to offer. It was really close though.

It just makes sense. The Shan Clan was obviously not overly wowed by the second-tier talent at the senior bowl/combine. RGIII fits their mold perfectly, great arm, mobile, athlectic, etc. And he's as dangerous above the neck as below. You can't argue the choice. Seems like a solid character guy as well.

They weren't going to make any strides with the current group of QB's they had, and with Peyton out and Flynn apparently not in the running, they only had the draft as their best option. This is probably the one year they could afford fewer picks as well, being so far under the cap will allow them to fill more holes with free agency.

And let's face it, the team was not going to make a real run this year anyway, but the fanbase will be a helluva lot more patient with RGIII in the fold than they would have been with anyone else in there short of Manning. This buys Shanny and company more time if nothing else.

It's a QB league, and if you don't have one of the few elite guys, you're just treading water. When you have a chance to get a guy of that caliber, you have to take it. I just hope they can build up enough of a team around him quickly enough to facilitate his success.

Go Skins~

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 05:03 PM »
That makes the win the Vikings had in Week 15 against the Skins all the more painful...ugh, losing AP and 3 first round picks, brilliant!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:19 PM »
That makes the win the Vikings had in Week 15 against the Skins all the more painful...ugh, losing AP and 3 first round picks, brilliant!

I'd have appreciated it if you hadn't pointed this out.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Ok, Free Agency has been official for about four hours now and the Skins have already signed 3 Wide Receivers: Pierre Garcon, Josh Morgan, and Eddie Royal.  :o

At least RGIII will have some new faces to throw to next year.

What's YOUR team doing? Bears Fan digging Brandon Marshall?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:07 PM »
I'm digging Marshall only to say the Bears finally have a legit receiver that isn't well past his prime.  If he can keep his attitude in check (I keep having flashbacks of the pre-season with the Broncos when he was punting the ball after catches) and if the offensive line can actually give Cutler time to throw, they might actually have a 1000yd receiver in Chicago for the first time in recent memory...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56 PM »

What's YOUR team doing?

Vincent Jackson!  For the first time in 3 years, the Bucs are actually being aggressive and demonstrating that they're interested in fielding a competitive team.  I'm excited.  They've been linked to Curtis Lofton (although that's falling apart as the rumors are that he wanted $9 million per year) and have Carl Nicks coming in for a visit (tomorrow?).  If they can ink Nicks and find a CB and a LB, I'll be beyond thrilled.

Ok, Free Agency has been official for about four hours now and the Skins have already signed 3 Wide Receivers: Pierre Garcon, Josh Morgan, and Eddie Royal.  :o

At least RGIII will have some new faces to throw to next year.

Vincent Jackson got  5 years, $55 million, with a $26 million dollar signing bonus.

Pierre Garcon got 5 years, $42.5 million, with a $21.5 million dollar signing bonus.

The Skins overpaid, badly.  But that's sort of what Snyder does I suppose...

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Vincent Jackson got  5 years, $55 million, with a $26 million dollar signing bonus.

Pierre Garcon got 5 years, $42.5 million, with a $21.5 million dollar signing bonus.

The Skins overpaid, badly.  But that's sort of what Snyder does I suppose...

Well, Snyder does not negotiate contracts, that is Bruce Allen's job now...Danny just signs the checks.

Hard to say what the market value would be for Garcon, or what he will ultimately bring to the table, so I think it's a bit early to say he was overpaid BADLY. These contracts seem to balloon every year, so you can't really base it on any previous benchmarks. I agree it sounds like a lot for a guy that is not a legit #1 WR, but who knows what other teams were interested or what he could have commanded elsewhere.

At least there has been a significant change the past few years with Shanahan and Allen focusing their free agent efforts on younger, less "big name" guys who still have plenty of upside. Garcon is 26 and comes without any of the off-field baggage Jackson does, so I'm sure that factored in as well. Ditto Josh Morgan.

Apparently Royal has not officially signed yet, so we'll see what happens there.

I do think Jackson has some mad talent and was a very good pick-up for the Bucs. No doubt Josh Freeman is happy today.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Well, Snyder does not negotiate contracts, that is Bruce Allen's job now...Danny just signs the checks.

Sure, but owners are almost always involved in what kind of money GM's are permitted to spend, and we all know Synder likes to be very involved.

Hard to say what the market value would be for Garcon, or what he will ultimately bring to the table, so I think it's a bit early to say he was overpaid BADLY. These contracts seem to balloon every year, so you can't really base it on any previous benchmarks. I agree it sounds like a lot for a guy that is not a legit #1 WR, but who knows what other teams were interested or what he could have commanded elsewhere.

At least there has been a significant change the past few years with Shanahan and Allen focusing their free agent efforts on younger, less "big name" guys who still have plenty of upside. Garcon is 26 and comes without any of the off-field baggage Jackson does, so I'm sure that factored in as well. Ditto Josh Morgan.

Apparently Royal has not officially signed yet, so we'll see what happens there.

I do think Jackson has some mad talent and was a very good pick-up for the Bucs. No doubt Josh Freeman is happy today.

Sure, it could work out nicely, and Garcon had a good year with no QB last season, but he's never proven that he's a $8 or $10 million a year kind of player.

The Bucs signed Eric Wright and Carl Nicks this morning.  Between that and Vincent Jackson, I'm beyond thrilled.