Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2012  (Read 23550 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Offseason 2012
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14 AM »
Oh God.  I was hoping he just wanted the bounty.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 10:13 AM »
That bounty stuff does not bother me at all...that stuff has been going on for years, football is a violent, brutal game, and I don't have a problem with a guy trying to knock someone out of the game. You should be doing that on every play anyway without any financial incentives IMO.

I totally disagree with that statement.  Yeah Football is a brutal game but there is also that pesky thing called sportsmanship.  This isn't boxing or MMA, defenses aren't out aiming at knees on every play hoping they blow up someone's ACL.  Having the head coach endorse a plan with the intent to injure makes me a little sick.  I think back to AP's ACL at Washington last Christmas and every player on both sides was mad and upset...you think that the Washington bobo was trying to hurt him?  At the end of the day those guys are a lot tighter than they let on, after games they are hugging and back slapping even if they get their asses kicked.   I think the punishment is light still and I really believe they should get that Super Bowl victory taken away.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 11:05 AM »
I think I fall somewhere between the two arguements.  Totally agree with Scott that on a player basis, they mostly should not/are not trying to hurt each other.  Why would they?  Beyond being friends and just decent people, these guys know that if they put the hurt on someone, that paints a big fat target on their own ass down the road.  Maybe not the next game, maybe not this season, but someone is going to be looking for payback at some point. 

Now that said, I think the punishment was fair.  They can't really take the ring away for something like this.  They didn't take rings away from the Pats who were caught flat out cheating, so I don't know how you can justify doing so for a team that was incented to be more aggressive.  Sure, this probably happens more than we know, but this case is very public and the NFL has to do something to convey to the public that they won't condone it.  They're making an example of the Saints to deter this thing publicly and honestly, to protect themselves from future lawsuits from injured players.  If they didn't have the financial liability to worry about, I wonder if the punishment would have been even this severe.

Wouldn't have mattered to the Vikes either way.  They would have found a way to choke out another loss even if they had made it to the big game.   ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 5, 2012, 01:28 PM »
Have you heard the Gregg Williams audio? Wow.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 5, 2012, 03:57 PM »
A lifetime ban is in order.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 5, 2012, 10:10 PM »
Is anyone surprised that teams target players that have had recent injuries? The Giants went after the same 49'ers KR with the concussion and caused two fumbles because of it which led directly to them winning that game.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm advocating cheap shots or dirty play, I just think if you're playing all-out within the confines of the rules, and you're trying to "kill the QB" that's ok. Not literally kill him, but hitting the guy as hard as you possibly can? Sure. And guys can talk about not wanting to hurt other guys but when you're in that situation you have to sort of concede that is a likely result, don't you?

"Hi, I'm a 320 pound defensive tackle who outweighs you by over a hundred pounds and I'm going to slam into you with as much physical force as I can muster while you're in a relatively defenseless position, BUT I'M NOT TRYING TO HURT YOU AT ALL."

Some of the violence from the 60's and 70's would probably blow people's minds today. You want to talk about physical brutality? Watch some old tape of Dick Butkus or Night Train Lane. They were trying to lay guys out, no joke.  And they weren't looking for payouts either, dudes were just flat out mean.

Anyway, just my two cents, not trying to be a pot-stirrer or anything, I don't even follow the game that closely anymore. I can understand and respect that this stuff is pretty repulsive to a lot of people. I guess I'm just jaded in that respect.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 5, 2012, 11:23 PM »
I'm not surprised that guys go after injured players at all.  I'm sure that happens all the time.  Football is all about exploiting a weakness, whether its an injured player, a lack of experience, a mismatch in talent, etc.  I think the difference is that players need to decide what they are going to do and how they are going to play on their own.  Someone incenting another player to go hurt someone feels more wrong to me.  It's like the difference between buying a slutty girl a drink and hiring a prostitute.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 6, 2012, 07:57 AM »

Some of the violence from the 60's and 70's would probably blow people's minds today. You want to talk about physical brutality? Watch some old tape of Dick Butkus or Night Train Lane. They were trying to lay guys out, no joke.  And they weren't looking for payouts either, dudes were just flat out mean.

And how many of them are suing the league now?  ::)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Who are the Los Angeles Minnesota Vikings going to draft?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Who are the Los Angeles Minnesota Vikings going to draft?

Probably Matt Kalil, OT, USC.

Darkhorse:  Morris Claiborne, DB, LSU

Unless they're able to trade down.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Ah yes, I can't believe it's finally here...RGIII Day!  ;D

The light at the end of the tunnel finally emerges...hope springs anew.

Good luck to everyone's teams drafting tonight.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2012, 08:55 AM »
I've heard some rumors coming into work today on the radio that a swap between the Vikings and Tampa is brewing...#3 overall for #5 overall and a 2nd or 3rd...Bucs get Richardson and Vikes still get Kalil

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2012, 09:39 AM »
As much as I want the Bucs to get Richardson (like, a lot), they have too many holes to fill to move UP in this draft.  They'd better not give up more than a 5th if they want to move up like that (or, Talib can go if you want him).

(Other) Possibilities for Tampa as I see it - in the order that I think the team would prefer:

Trade down a few spots - draft Luke Kuechly
Stay at 5 - draft Richardson if he's there
Stay at 5 - draft Morris Claiborne if Richardson is gone
Stay at 5 - draft Kalil if the Vikings take Claiborne and the Browns take Richardson.
Stay at 5 - draft Kuechly if Claiborne goes to Minny and Richardson to Cleveland, AND they can't get a trade down offer for some team like Buffalo that wants Kalil

Lots of moving parts for a draft pick that high.

If the Bucs get Richardson, I'm thinking someone like Lavonte David, LB in round 2.

If they get Claiborne, it'll either be someone like David, or Doug Martin, RB if he's still there.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:43 AM by Rob »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2012, 10:23 AM »
No Pro Bowl? What will I do the Sunday before the Super Bowl? Oh wait, the same thing as always, not watch the Pro Bowl.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2012, 11:58 AM »
I've heard some rumors coming into work today on the radio that a swap between the Vikings and Tampa is brewing...#3 overall for #5 overall and a 2nd or 3rd...Bucs get Richardson and Vikes still get Kalil

That seems like a bit of a reach, depending on the compensation. Great deal for Minnesota though, if they can swing it.

I still think the Vikes take Kalil and the Browns take Richardson and the Bucs take Claiborne. Rams probably go Blackmon...and then it gets interesting. I will not blame any Miami fan for taking to the streets in anger if they do not pick Tannehill.

I think it's the second and third rounds this year that will be really interesting. This is a deep draft for some positions, could be some good guys left later.