Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2012  (Read 23551 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NFL Offseason 2012
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2012, 07:31 PM »
Well...that rumor must have been true as Cleveland and LA just swapped #3 for #4 and three more picks plus they still get who they wanted!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2012, 07:56 PM »
LA = Minnesota? Stadium joke, I assume? Well-played.

Yeah, that seems crazy desperate to me. The only way that would possibly make sense is if they were sure someone else was going to move up to get Richardson. Which how could they possibly know, right? Vikings make out like bandits and get the player they wanted anyway.

Crazy stuff...I see a lot more trades going down before it's all through.

Gonna be a long wait for me between RGIII and the Skins next pick in the third round...eesh.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2012, 12:14 AM »
The Bucs walked away with the top safety and the second best RB.  I couldn't be happier.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2012, 11:30 AM »
The Bucs walked away with the top safety and the second best RB.  I couldn't be happier.

I thought the Giants picked David Wilson?  ;)

What a weird draft last night was. I did not watch last year's at all, but the coverage was a lot more disappointing that I recall from years past.

First off, where were the war-room cams? Where were the interviews with GM's, coaches, etc reacting to their picks/trades/etc? We got NONE of that. Even the player interviews seemed rushed.

Second, there seemed like a LOT of intentional delays...I was constantly seeing "Pick Is In" and then it would be like another 5 minutes before the Commish sauntered up to the podium. I understand things are happening quickly, and it is a TV event for fans, so they want to milk each selection for all it's worth, sell advertising, etc but after awhile it just seems contrived. Teams were putting in picks FAST, they probably could have wrapped it all up in two hours without all the fluff.

I did find all the trades interesting, teams giving up multiple picks to only move up a couple of spots. Seems like a lot of teams fell in love with a certain guy and just got locked in.

I don't think anyone had a "bad" draft (and honestly who even knows for a few years) but if I was a Rams fan I would be coming away kind of disappointed. They didn't get Blackmon, Richardson, or any kind of OL help for Bradford. Stockpiling picks is nice but that team needs talent, not just role-players.

I also liked Gruden playing devil's advocate and showing some clips from guys he had concerns about, that was a refreshing realty check for all the unbridled optimism.

Anyways, RGIII is in the house, so all is right with the world.  ;D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2012, 11:34 AM »
I don't think anyone had a "bad" draft (and honestly who even knows for a few years) but if I was a Rams fan I would be coming away kind of disappointed. They didn't get Blackmon, Richardson, or any kind of OL help for Bradford. Stockpiling picks is nice but that team needs talent, not just role-players.

I actually think the Rams are playing it smart.  A lot of early round guys don't live up to expectations in the NFL and the Skill players are usually head cases.  I'm looking at you Blackmon.  That team needs a lot of help, so I don't think its a bad strategy to scoop up a lot of later picks and pass on some of the prima donnas.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43 AM »

I've read a lot of articles since last night, and nearly all of them say that everyone and their mother knew that the Giants wanted Martin, and the Bucs traded back up specifically to get in front of them and ruin their night.

They reached for Wilson.

I don't think anyone had a "bad" draft (and honestly who even knows for a few years)

Sure, it takes a few years to know for sure, but you can evaluate strategy and I think a few teams didn't do such a great job... Cleveland got their RB, but they did NOT need to trade up to do so, and they gave up 3 picks to do that.  The Vikings made them look silly. 

Drafting Weeden in the 1st round was absurd.  If they wanted a QB, drafting a 28 year old with question marks that early is a mistake, especially when they probably could have had him later.  Richardson will probably be good, but I think they did more wrong than right.

Seattle didn't do a terribly good job either I don't think.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:38 PM by Rob »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2012, 01:57 PM »

I've read a lot of articles since last night, and nearly all of them say that everyone and their mother knew that the Giants wanted Martin, and the Bucs traded back up specifically to get in front of them and ruin their night.

They reached for Wilson.

I tend to give the Giants the benefit of the doubt on draft strategy, they do it better than any other team IMO.

I'm admittedly biased, because I watched nearly every Tech game but not so many Boise State, so I'm only speaking from what I have observed personally. But David Wilson is GOOD. Not saying the other guys isn't, or won't be better ultimately, but I don't think it was as much of a reach as some might.

Cleveland and Miami just reek of QB desperation...I think they made those picks to appease their fanbase than because they really deserved to be drafted that high.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Cleveland got their RB, but they did NOT need to trade up to do so, and they gave up 3 picks to do that.  The Vikings made them look silly. 

I think they traded with the Vikings to block trades with other teams that wanted to move up.  Not that I'm complaining, I think the LA team did very well last night with their two first round picks.  The latter might have been a reach and maybe they could have waited for their 3rd round pick and still got him, but they did need to fill that hole and got the second best available at the position. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2012, 07:31 PM »
You meant 2nd right?  They had been talking about him for the last couple of months for that 2nd round pick...I saw mocks with him going at anywhere from 26 to 32 so it wasn't a huge reach

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2012, 08:35 PM »
For having the 24th pick, the Steelers did quite well picking up a guy that was touted as a top 10 pick, and who could be an immediate impact player.  Plus it shored up a porous offensive line, the kind of pick I was rolling my eyes at them NOT making last year.  Yay.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2012, 10:55 PM »
The Bucs got a 4th round pick for moving from 5 to 7 in the 1st round.

They used that 4th round pick to jump back up and snatch Doug Martin, and got a later 4th round pick in return.

Today they used that 4th round pick to jump back into the late 2nd and draft Lavonte David. 

Kiper had him as the 3rd best available player at the start of today, and I didn't think in a million years he'd last long enough for Tampa to get him, but it worked out.  The Bucs are going to leave this draft with 3 starters, all of whom should be ranked in about the top 40 players in the draft.

After 3 years of pure **** in Tampa, I'm exceptionally, freakishly happy with how this has all gone down.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49 PM »
I'm pleased with what the Pack has done thus far.  Skill players may be more flashy, but the Packers rarely go that route in the draft.  We need to start rebuilding the defense and they're off to a great start.

- Sounds like Perry's a heck of a pass rusher
 - Worthy is a sorely needed big, quick tackle
 - Hayward is a smart, fast corner.  A solid compliment and future replacement for Woodson.

Good, smart picks.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2012, 06:58 PM »
So the draft is done...another crop of interesting late-round picks for the Skins.

I love the people freaking out about them taking Cousins with a 4th...like this creates some kind of QB controversy. Dude was drafted solely to replace John Beck, whom they IMMEDIATELY released after making the pick.

God forbid RGIII gets hit by a car crossing the street next week and the franchise is ham-strung for the next 3 years with no first round picks.

BPA...it's not rocket science.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Did the Governor sign off yet?  Last hurdle apparently and it's no more LA baby. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 07:19 PM »
That is just a formality...I never ever thought this day would come.  30 more years of heartbreak, pain and tears.   I've never been happier :P