Author Topic: G.I. Joe Convention 2012  (Read 13995 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Convention 2012
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that helicopter and never bought the RoC version.  The truck, while expensive, does look really cool with the different tops.  Cost aside, that's an excellent piece IMO.

Found out that there is no 12" souvenir but they are selling sets of three of the AT crates for $21 which isn't a terrible deal.  The 12" freebie was an extra mummy suit.

But, the huge prices weren't limited to the 3.75" stuff, according to reports the Man of Evil accessory set for this year's subscription figure is $45!  That's $25 more than last year's weather spotter outfit, $13 more than the 2010 Urban Uniform and $12 more than the 2009 Talking Commaner set and that had a repro box in it!

What gets me about the Darklon 2-pack is that at 1,000 pieces it's the highest edition on a souvenir figure since the 2008 Roddy Piper figure and it's still $75.  That's $30 more than last year's set, Telampago/Gatilho, which had an ES of 650 and the Manleh/Starduster set from 2009.  The 2010 set was O-Ring, Dolphin & Poole, which came with 2 kyaks, ES 650 and also only cost $45.

Makes you wonder, did manufacturing costs really jump that much in one year or are they padding the bottom line to offset all the money they lost during the credit card fiasco?  Anyone in the TF Club track pricing and can give a comparison of this year's Con sets & souvenirs vs previous years?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 11:47 AM »
Darklon looks pretty pimp.  Was one of the last few vehicle/driver sets I got as a kid.  No way I'm paying any crazy price for this one though.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Yeah, I thought about shelling out some big cash for him too, but seeing what it costs at the Con, I doubt I'll be able to afford the ebay prices on him. Boo.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 06:06 PM »
So, apparently Hasbro has a huge display of proposed but never released (cancelled) figures and vehicles on display at Joe Con and pretty much everything that was on my short list that I wanted is in that case, all done in 30th/PoC style: Lady Jaye, Flint, Kwinn, Tele-Viper, Eels...

There's also an armored assault carrier called a "Steel Wolf" which is pretty much straight out of my dreams for what I'd like to see in a new vehicle.  Think Aliens PC...what a shame.

The thing that pisses me off maybe the most is Kwinn.  As late as NYCC Hasbro was still planning on him and now?  Probably never.

Unless they show something tomorrow during their panel, it's not looking like they have anything scheduled at retial until February 2013...so after the current stock of Retaliation is gone, nothing?  Guess we'll hear tomorrow.

My only hope for Retaliation at this point is that Hasbro doesn't manufacture/release any more wave 1 cases and skip right into 2, 3 and 4 for the movie launch.  Because, if they re-release W1, we'll never see that stuff either.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 07:41 PM »
They're making all that, it's just going to cost you $50 per figure, and they're going to have $200/mo. payments on any vehicle...  it's only a 7% apr on the final price, and it's a generous 72 month plan.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 11:40 PM »
Man, there was the Laser Viper, HEAT Viper, and the 2nd Steel Brigade in that case. And they put all this great stuff aside for Retaliation? Wow. That worked out really well.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 12:31 AM »
I love that Night Viper in an unholy way.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 08:11 AM »
I would buy most everything in that concept case - especially the Zombies!  Zombie CC, such a simple change, soooooo awesome!!!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2012, 08:28 PM »
I find it hard to believe they'd go all zombie with a classic brand...even just for a wave or a boxed set. It's like the designers came up with stuff they knew corporate/major retailers would balk at.

Steel Wolf good outer design, but why waste the interiour on a motorcycle slot?

The Renegades stuff...interesting, but no Baroness or Roadblock or Mindbender or Flint or Lady Jaye?

Kwinn thing is infuriating. I don't even collecting current stuff, but this in demand version of the character has been wanted for decades now. They couldn't kick some lame figure from a 7 pack and slide him in? Stick him on a Retaliation card? WOULD STORES (read: Wal-Mart, the enemy of collectors) CANCEL THEIR ORDERS? Is that how much power buyers have?

I recall hearing that Paramount wanted no Joes on shelves for six months prior to the film's release. If there's a 3rd movie, time to switch studios, Hasbro. They cost you a lot of money.

Micro Figures...is there enough of a fanbase for these? Probably not. A useless attempt to get kids into a property that has no regular media support. Flopperiffic idea. Should've saved the tooling costs for new 4" head sculpts.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 11:47 PM »
My wallet is glad that the line got pushed back.  there are some great figures in there.  The ones I am eye balling are the Night Viper (who isn't), Crimson Guard (again who isn't), Cobra Eel Landing Raft Set :D, that Firefly from the 3 pack ( I think is better than the Ultimate version). 

That 30th Concept thing, are those possible figures in the future ? 

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 1, 2012, 01:30 AM »
I don't know if all the zombie figures were really on the table but the Renegades stuff and the 30th figs like Flint, Jaye, Kwinn, Eels, Tele-Viper...those were all legit options that didn't get done for one reason or another.

The Coyote vehilce from the Renegades cartoon is really excellent, as is the Steel Wolf.  There's a big list of missed opportunities in there.  I have no idea how far some of them got into production, I think Kwinn is done because some samples have turned up and the Club Footloose uses his arms, but the rest make use of enough existing parts that it shouldn't take much to get them into production.

I guess if the movie really works next March and they're looking at a 3rd film, we'll probably see Retaliation likenesses going forward and some of these will probably never get made.  But if it falls off like RoC?  Maybe Hasbro will abandon the movie heads and we'll get some of these.  Who knows.  I'm not holding my breath on any of them.

E...

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 1, 2012, 08:04 AM »
I guess if the movie really works next March and they're looking at a 3rd film, we'll probably see Retaliation likenesses going forward and some of these will probably never get made.  But if it falls off like RoC?  Maybe Hasbro will abandon the movie heads and we'll get some of these.  Who knows.  I'm not holding my breath on any of them.

E...

I think going forward we will see some of the classic-looking 30th-syle figures added to the Retaliation line. We are already seeing it a little bit with the upcoming Crimson Guard, Night Viper, SE w/ Timber, 3-pack Firefly, and the Eel from the raft set which more or less looks like the diver prototype. Some figures like Flint, Cobra Officer, and Lady Jaye would probably fit right into the line with a "classic" added in front of their names.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 1, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Looking at most of the convention pictures, it looks like the imagination well ran pretty dry...everything is ninja, zombie, or zombie ninja.  The updated classic characters are the only things I'd have been interested in, and they'll probably never see the light of day.  The fact that Kwinn got as far as he did and is unlikely to see a release is depressing.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 2, 2012, 09:58 AM »
GI JOE has been running on nostagia's fumes since RISE OF COBRA's line tanked and Hasbro decided to drop movie likenesses in Pursuit of Cobra. They wouldn't commit to a real RENEGADES line (probably with good reason, as the show aired on a channel that's not even part of basic cable packages).

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 2, 2012, 11:58 AM »
And does anybody have any interest in those little dinky figurines?  Seems like such a waste of resources.
"Really?  Sorry."