Author Topic: JediJman's Month o' Vintage  (Read 52527 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
JediJman's Month o' Vintage
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:03 PM »
I recently made a massive purchase of vintage ROTJ/POTF2 figures from a guy in Phoenix. 

- Original figure cost based on price tags: $150
 - My paying price including shipping: $1750   :o
 - Getting a box of 50 well preserved vintage figures in one box: Priceless!

I've had a few requests for pictures, so I'm going to host a month of vintage on the site.  I'll try to post 2 figures per day as I go through them with a few scattered comments.  Hope you enjoy...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:18 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Re: JediJman's Month o' Vintage
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Let's kick things off with the medical staff: 2-1B and FX-7.  These two have always eluded me in the past for some reason.  2-1B is on a clean, crisp card with just a hint of yellowing.  His "tool" is barely hanging on, but still attached to the side for now.  Too bad he's not programmed for self repair in there.  FX-7 has a some creasing at the top and the bubble has been dinged along it's top as well.  She's obviously doing her best to escape her plastic prison.  Actually, is FX-7 a "she?" I know "it" is probably more appropriate, but I always thought of it as the nurse of the pair for some reason.  On the bright side, this is one of many that was still unpunched. 

Another fun aspect of this collection - the figures all came from one original owner, so you will see that Target price tag show up on a lot of these figures.  I'd rather not have the tag on there, but kind of cool to me that they're all linked in some way. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Nice, Justin, and thanks for sharing. I like/hate the price tag, too. Kind of long for current vintage figures at that price... We need another KW special.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:46 AM »
I used to really dislike price tags, but now I enjoy them because they add some history and context to the figure and how it was purchased back in the day.  I'm looking forward to your pics Jman!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Thanks guys.  We're travelling to Tatooine for the next round.  Here's the Tusken Raider and Jawa.  The Tusken has a nice clear bubble and remains unpunched, but he has some damage over on the right side of the card.  The Jawa card is pretty much mint.  I had forgotten about the weird slanty bubble on this one as well.  I think I have both of these on 12-back cards, but they're not nearly as nice.

Offline ZevZev

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 03:04 PM »
Nice Justin.

I like the price sticker, it does give some connect back into history...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Thank you!  So, I partied a bit too much this weekend with the kids on a sleepover.  Every time I have that hangover feeling, I think of Bill Dee and his Colt 45 Commercials.  Not sure why since I've never even tried malt liquor, but Lando just seems like he can put 'em away.

To honor the occassion I'm dedicating today's post to the smoothest dude in the galaxy...Lando Calrissian.  First up is the original, which has a cherry card and minty bubble.  But Lando has a bit of a hangover himself here with that weird growth/residue that gets on really old plastic pretty much covering his pants.  Anyone know what this stuff is?  I have seen it on a few loose vintage figures, but never inside a sealed bubble before.  Anyone know of any tricks to fix this?  I thought about leaving it in the hot sun to see if it burns away.  It's a shame, because the rest of the card is oh so pretty. At least Lando's still smiling about it.  Maybe this is the real reason he has to change into the skiff guard duds.  Nothing overly special on that one - nice flat card and bubble, but there is a tear up at the peg hole.  I do like the way they packaged these removable helmet figures though, with the extra bubble section at the top.  This second version of Lando also has clean pants, so he's got a leg up on his counterpart. 

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:00 PM by JediJman »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:55 PM »
With the outpouring of support for Lando  :-\, I've decided to stick with the Bespin theme for another round.  Today features the Cloud Car Pilot and Lobot, two of Lando's trusty aides.  I had what I would call an unusal fondness for the Cloud Car Pilot when I was a kid.  I don't know if it was the cool specs or the communicator, but I recall having 3 of these guys as a kid.  I would put Hoth Luke/Rebel Commander guns between his two hands to give him a little more of an action pose than most figures.  This one is on a really nice unpunched cardback with an equally nice bubble.  It is a little more yellow than the picture would indicate and the gun has come loose, but still in better shape than my ESB version I think.  Lobot is in a very similar condition, though the bubble is even more yellowed and has a ding on the top.  Loving the unpunched cards and more Target price tags to build out the set. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 05:58 PM »
I'm loving this, Justin. Keep it coming. I just got my DS Lando today, so it's cool to see the real card (I wished they would have gone with this instead of the drawing, but I understand it's "Sandstorm" Lando).

Ps. There's always love for Lando McMacDaddy Calrissian.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:59 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Thanks Steve.  I'm going to reward this response with some Hoth battle action.  Up next are two of my favorite vintage figures from my favorite OTC battle: Imperial Stormtrooper and Rebel Soldier (Both in Hoth Battle Gear).  The "Snowtrooper" and his minty skirt are on a really nice unpunched card with almost no shelf wear and a solid, clear bubble.  The card is a bit wavy, but will look flat once I get it into an acrylic prison.  The sacrificial Rebel Trooper is equally stylish, despite looking nothing like the dude on the card.  Maybe it's that optimistic expression, thinking he has a chance against armored transports.  The card on this one has held up well, but has a tear on the bottom corner near the bubble.  The bubble is clear, but also has a battle damage ding up near the top.  Obviously the Snowtrooper is chipping away at him when I'm not looking.  I think my Empire version of the Rebel might actually trump this new one, but I'll have to compare in more detail. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49 PM »
I'm just impressed that there are vintage figures still left on cards, and that the cards are in mostly, mint condition! Wow!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Those are beautiful! It's cool to see those price stickers. I didn't know Target was around in 1983. I guess we didn't get them out here until the 1990's.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 04:48 PM »
Thanks!  I didn't know about Target back in the 80's either, though I know they were around in places like Minnesota.  Today's feature gets back to basics...kind of.  With all the recent talk about the great Gentle Giant 12" droids, I had to dedicate today to R2-D2 with Sensorscope and C-3PO with Removable Limbs.  The little guy goes first.  R2 comes with a pretty good card and bubble.  While it is unpunched, there are some creases up near the punch tab.  The card also has a little bend and discoloration on the lower right.  The bubble has yellowed a bit, but is otherwise solid.  The picture makes it look dented a bit on the top for some reason, but that's a trick of the light and angle.  On the flip side, Threepio looks case fresh and has the Emperor offer to boot.  Flat, unpunched card and a crisp, clear bubble make this a really nice piece to display.  Just a bit of light veining near the top.  I'm really happy with both of these.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Sweet! Is it just the angle or did vintage R2s have long legs and short torsos? I haven't looked at mine in a while.

And what did Sara think of all these?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:29 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 05:25 PM »
Just the angle I think.  Sara is, of course, in love with all my SW collectibles.  These are no exception.   ;)