Author Topic: Vintage Figure Checklist  (Read 4896 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Vintage Figure Checklist
« on: April 24, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Anyone have a good source for vintage figures and variations?  I've been looking around on the net, but prettymuch everything I've found is incomplete.  I'm not looking for 26 variations of Obi-Wan where the hue of the bottom of his left foot is slightly different, or the placement of the "Made in China" stamp is slightly lower versus another.  I just want the real difference makers like figure accessories, differences in molding, noticable paint differences.  Anyone have a good resource?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Figure Checklist
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:02 PM »
I know exactly what you are talking about, and there really is none - it's a shame. Even the forums over at RS are pretty lackluster on this subject. I have been searching for awhile now and there really is no definitive catalog.

The best reference guide/checklist I have seen is the old SWCA/Toys R Gus one which I have bookmarked at work but not here at home, oddly enough. I will try to post it tomorrow.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:04 PM »
The best reference guide/checklist I have seen is the old SWCA/Toys R Gus one which I have bookmarked at work but not here at home, oddly enough. I will try to post it tomorrow.

I am guessing it is this one: 

Loose Variant List

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Bingo, that's the one.

Thanks for the assist, D!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56 AM »
Cool! I never realized there where so many paint variations.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:53 PM »

Yeah, many of them, IMHO, are practically unnoticeable to the naked eye. "Blue face Klaatu"? Doesn't look like any shade of blue I have ever seen.

I recently started at a photo collage of about 12 different Hoth Troopers/Rebel Commanders with supposedly different colored boots, until my eyes bled, but ultimately they all looked pretty much brown to me.

That's my only criterion for deciding whether there is a variant out there worth picking up - the difference has to be apparent to me. Paint, sculpt, etc.

All that COO stuff would drive me crazy...I could not care less what the little letters say.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Bingo, that's the one.

Thanks for the assist, D!

Yeah, many of them, IMHO, are practically unnoticeable to the naked eye. "Blue face Klaatu"? Doesn't look like any shade of blue I have ever seen.

I recently started at a photo collage of about 12 different Hoth Troopers/Rebel Commanders with supposedly different colored boots, until my eyes bled, but ultimately they all looked pretty much brown to me.

That's my only criterion for deciding whether there is a variant out there worth picking up - the difference has to be apparent to me. Paint, sculpt, etc.

All that COO stuff would drive me crazy...I could not care less what the little letters say.

I'm in the same camp for the most part.  If you're talking brown snake yoda vs. orange snake, that's a variation I'll collect.  Differences in molding colors are usually pretty obvious as well.  I may even pursue COO variations depends on how many there are and how rare they are.  I have some already, but I'm sure there are more.  When we get past that to slight color variations, that's where I draw the line.  I can show you 10 rebel soldiers with different colored parts, but which of them are really a production issue versus an age and care issue?  Even if it is a production difference, if I have to really inspect the figure to tell a difference, then why bother? 

thanks for posting the checklist - I'll have to review it in more detail when I have time.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender

Offline SWJACK

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:58 AM »