Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181583 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2012, 02:51 PM »

Unlike Pete, I have a wife who would probably as soon divorce me as allow me to travel to FL to buy stuff like this.  :-[

My head almost imploded when I thought about what it would be like to tell my wife I was going to do what Pete did.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2012, 02:57 PM »
I'm so glad these are astromechs and not unique looking protocol-esque droids.  Then I'd be in panic mode wanting some.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2012, 03:15 PM »

Unlike Pete, I have a wife who would probably as soon divorce me as allow me to travel to FL to buy stuff like this.  :-[

My head almost imploded when I thought about what it would be like to tell my wife I was going to do what Pete did.

It's all for the baby...  Nick, it's something you'll need to learn to tell the wife.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:53 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2012, 03:40 PM »

Yeah, same here.  There's stuff I can rationalize or get away with...this would not make the list.  Kudos to you, Pete!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2012, 04:34 PM »
What a headache.  I don't even know how to go about collecting these to keep the collection complete.

One of each part maybe?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2012, 04:39 PM »
What a headache.  I don't even know how to go about collecting these to keep the collection complete.

One of each part maybe?

Yeah, if I were collecting them I would go for one of each part.  Probably some reuse of bodies or heads where needed to make a full droid that kind of fits together. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2012, 06:01 PM »
Yep...

So, anyone heading to Disney willing to pick up one of each droid part for me?   :)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2012, 06:02 PM »

One of each part maybe?

Yeah, if I were collecting them I would go for one of each part.  Probably some reuse of bodies or heads where needed to make a full droid that kind of fits together.

If you are looking for one of each part (minimally) you would end up with (eventually) 25 droids....

The break-down of domes is:

5x R2 (silver w/orange, red, blue, or green & red w/silver)
2x R3 (clear w/purple or red) (red not available yet)
3x R4 (white w/purple or blue & green w/white)
3x R5 (white w/red or green & black w/silver)
3x R6 (white w/purple or orange & black w/silver) (not available yet)
3x R7 (black w/silver, orange w/silver, silver w/blue)
3x R8 (white w/black or orange & black w/silver) (not available yet)
3x R9 (green w/silver, blue w/silver or red w/silver) (not available yet)

Then there are 13 trunks - 10 R2 trunks, 3 R7 Trunks (the R7 Trunk style is also used in R8s)

Then there are 10 styles of left/right legs

Then there are 5 styles of middle legs

And finally, for the Disney touch - there are 8 "hats" - four colors of mouse ears (which are available now) and a Yoda Ears Hat, Pirate Hat, Fedora & Goofy Hat (which are not available now)

So 25 droids for one each of the domes could result in having multiples of every other part (trunk & legs) except for one trunk (since 13x2 = 26, which is 1 more than the number of domes).

So like what Rob said - a MAJOR headache to getting a "complete" collection.

Yep...

So, anyone heading to Disney willing to pick up one of each droid part for me?   :)

I would wait a bit before trying for a complete set or cashing in a favor to ask someone to help you. While I don't regret  doing what I did, I really wish that all the domes had been there or at least minimally that there weren't problems with the availability of Black/Blue/Red right legs.

If I had been able to make the bodies I want to eventually stick R6, R8 & R9 domes on, I could have built all of them and put "temporary" domes on those bodies based on current stock and then when someone else was able to help me, just get them focus on the 10 missing domes and I wouldn't care what bodies they built to go with them....

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:11 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2012, 08:14 PM »
My friend Kevin Yee has pictures of the build a droid booth over at WDW. It's basically lots of bins of parts.
It costs $11.95 to make one droid, or $18.95 for two.

http://ultimateorlando.blogspot.com/2012/05/droid-factory-now-open-in-tattoine.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=kevin+yee

You know - looking at the blow-up of the parts bin picture I feel less and less bad - there doesn't appear to be a single right black leg in that Right Leg bin (the leg bin closest to the domes)

So I wonder if they EVER had Black w/Silver Right Legs at the workstation....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Yep...

I know somebody that goes twice a year.

And gets the wife to agree to it by taking her with him. 

Plus they sell alcohol there, a great ally in unauthorized spending.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2012, 08:29 PM »
I know somebody that goes twice a year.

And gets the wife to agree to it by taking her with him. 

Plus they sell alcohol there, a great ally in unauthorized spending.

Excellent, although if I'm reading the last few posts right, I'd assemble 25 droids JUST to use each part once, and they're $18.95 per pair...

This seems to be about a $250 endeavor, and I'm not so sure I care about generic droids that much.

Would it cost less without the mickey hats or does it not work by the part but by the droid only?  I know I wouldn't care about those.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:31 PM by Rob »

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Would it cost less without the mickey hats or does it not work by the part but by the droid only?  I know I wouldn't care about those.

You don't have to put Mickey Ears on your droid if you don't want, but it's not like they reduce the cost of the droids if you don't take them - no matter what the single packs are $11.95 and the double packs are $18.95.

I put mouse ears on all of mine for that very reason.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:38 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I think I already know the answer, since god hates me and all, but any word on whether these are hitting Disneyland in the next, oh, say, five days?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2012, 12:22 AM »
Got some more pics of the workbench w/o anyone obstructing the view - I will be sending them to Jeff shortyl...

I was a little delayed in getting these posted (darn Mother's Day!), but I've got Pete's pictures and full review up now for anyone looking for more info/details on his trip.  Thanks again for sharing your trip with us, Pete!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ZevZev

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2012, 12:56 AM »
Thanks Pete (and Jeff) for the review. Won't be going down until next year, but I look forward to it. My kids will love it.