Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181611 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2012, 10:47 AM »
So, being that the torso is BAD, I wonder what the price would be if someone were to build a monster droid (with four arms)?  Would it be more, or would it be the same if the person skipped out on a middle leg and hat?

My guess is if a kid made a droid with four arms, middle leg and hat, Disney is going to let him do it. It is about the experience and magic of making something at the Magic Kingdom. Disney isn't going to quival over fifty cents of plastic because a kid was creative.

Yeah, but what about a collector trying to squeeze more pieces in?  I wonder if there are instructions or guidelines at the station that tell you how to build the droid (i.e. use 2 legs, 1 head, etc.). 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Yeah, but what about a collector trying to squeeze more pieces in?  I wonder if there are instructions or guidelines at the station that tell you how to build the droid (i.e. use 2 legs, 1 head, etc.). 

Yes there is - I took a photo of it...

My guess is if a kid made a droid with four arms, middle leg and hat, Disney is going to let him do it. It is about the experience and magic of making something at the Magic Kingdom. Disney isn't going to quival over fifty cents of plastic because a kid was creative.

Actually, they are. There were several kids who tried to put four legs onto their torsos and the attendant had to get them to fix it and pointed at the diagram at the station (shown in the picture above).

They apparently even had someone arguing the point because the spot on the clamshell to hold the figure is much taller than the droid itself, so the person was arguing that it must be so you can fit a droid with four legs.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2012, 11:03 AM »
That red R5 reminds me of the vintage R5-D4. It's not exact (the vintage one did have some blue) but it's pretty close.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Thanks Pete - I thought that might be the case.  Good for Disney - this is one of those cases where I'm glad to see a retailer hold their ground.  If every kid started building 4-legged droids, there would very likely be a shortage for others.

Here's another thought - will SW Celebration VI have these as part of the Droid Factory Swap this year?  Sounds like that was a hit previously, so do they plan to bring the new parts in for people this time around (Maybe sans the Disney caps and such)?
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2012, 05:13 PM »
Endor Express has a video from Disney describing the Droid Factory setup complete with Jawas.

www.endorexpress.net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkyhvLBsl8&feature=player_embedded
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2012, 06:41 PM »
Endor Express has a video from Disney describing the Droid Factory setup complete with Jawas.

www.endorexpress.net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkyhvLBsl8&feature=player_embedded

*sigh* either they just made that video or they made it on Thursday morning before the park opened when Brad and Cody were there going over the set up.

Needless to say, I clearly see right black legs and the R3 dome w/red highlights....

UGH.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2012, 10:31 PM »
Thanks for the posting the pictures, Pete!  While I'm really liking the look of the all red droid w/red dome, I'm kinda put off by the fact the parts won't work with previous pieces the same color. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2012, 11:11 PM »
Thanks for the posting the pictures, Pete!  While I'm really liking the look of the all red droid w/red dome, I'm kinda put off by the fact the parts won't work with previous pieces the same color.

I hadn't thought of that aspect.  That is kind of a bummer.  It would be more of a bummer if I actually had access to these somehow.   ;)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Here are some more comparison shots....

First up R3-M3 vs. the All Blue Body...

Also, when I was down there, I was worried that the R7 white w/orange and white w/blue torsos were re-treads from the Legacy collection R7s, I'm glad to see that they are VERY different...

If anyone is looking for other comparison shots, let me know...
Peter

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2012, 01:13 PM »
Here is a rundown of the droids I made for myself...

R2s & R3s:

R4s:

R5s:

(note the one on the far right with one black leg and one blue leg... I made this droid just so I walked away with at least one of every part they had in stock)

R7s:

The R2 w/the all-blue body is for future use with the R9 blue w/silver dome.

The R5 w/the all-green body is for future use with the R9 green w/silver dome.

I was going to make the R2 dome in silver w/red on an all red body, but they sold out of Right Red legs while I was there too.

The R7 trunk with all blue legs is for the R8 dome that's coming that's Blue w/Silver.

Peter

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Great pics, Pete!  I was kind of hoping that there would be R5 parts that could build R5-U8 from Clone Wars, but that appears to not be the case.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Great pics, Pete!  I was kind of hoping that there would be R5 parts that could build R5-U8 from Clone Wars, but that appears to not be the case.

Yeah - for the most part they went very generic with the coloring of the parts so as to maximize the number of possible combinations.

While going through the park and looking for stuff to bring home as gifts for others, a horrible thought occurred to me - Disney is notorious for having multiple series of any one of its lines. If you look for example of the Disney characters dressed as Star Wars characters, the ones I was seeing were from Series 4 and Series 5 - these are like waves/assortments, and while they aren't as vast as the 71 parts we're currently looking at, I am horrified by the possibility of them releasing more and more parts each year.

If they do that, hopefully, they will have an option that allows someone to easily supplement their existing library of parts with just the new parts.
Peter

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2012, 05:24 PM »
Pete this is great! After seeing your pics i do not feel the need to get every one as some are too close to exisitng Astros. But man i really want some of those combos. Once those new heads hit I may change my mind for collecting every part.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Epocherbs

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I got one of each color and style of piece offered. I had to use a few more bodies and legs to finish up a droid. All in all it made 14 droids for the time being. The light blue astromech body and head are not there yet. The other novelty hats and EU domes won't be released till later to make you have to go a second trip. Hahaha!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2012, 03:09 PM »