Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181595 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2012, 08:24 AM »
I got one of each color and style of piece offered. I had to use a few more bodies and legs to finish up a droid. All in all it made 14 droids for the time being. The light blue astromech body and head are not there yet. The other novelty hats and EU domes won't be released till later to make you have to go a second trip. Hahaha!

Thanks for the update Epocherbs - any chance you could give a quick run-down of the parts you found? Specifically, were the R3 domes with Red Highlights back in stock and/or did they get in more Red/Blue/Black/Green right legs?

I'm guessing that since you indicate that you only made 14 droids that they were down one dome from a week ago when I was able to pick up 15 unique domes...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Hey guys, I'd like to give a huge public shout out to Pete, as I was one of the collectors he was so generous with in finding time to help out during his epic, and already legendary, Disney quest!  He gave me a great deal, and I can't thank him enough for all his help!

I received the  droids yesterday, and they were impeccably packaged.  My brief review is that the cases & cards are very nice, and the droids look really good.  I suffered from the lack of available parts, and missed out on the red R3 dome, and still need a set of black legs to complete one of my droids.  My favorites are the all-green droid, the all red R2 dome (It would be great to get all blue, black, or yellow R2 domes), and the blue R4 dome.  I hope they get more creative with the droid colors in the future.

Disney has got to be making a fortune on these.  By ordering them in bulk bags, and not having to pay the added assembly & packaging fees by having us do the work, I'd be surprised if Hasbro is getting even close to a dollar per part.  I have two more batches of droids coming from friends traveling down this weekend, and in early July.  Hopefully, some of the other parts I need will make an appearance. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2012, 04:16 PM »
The more I see these, the more I hope they hit Disneyland. It's a good excuse to get off my butt and take my girls again.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Well prepare to pay. Disneyland just upped its prices again.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Once/If the hit DL, expect these guys to show up on ebay in force.  Even with the admission increase, there will still be close to a million people with annual passes, so they can stop by the park and pick up a few droids whenever they're in the mood.  Heck, I'm sure more than a few will be more than happy to recoup some of the park's cost increase by ebaying exclusive park merchandise, including these droids.  That very idea is probably part of the reason this concept hasn't made it to DL yet.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Read about the price increase just after I made my post. Incredible. It's not like attendance is going down either, is it?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2012, 12:29 PM »
It's probably like going to the theaters.  Every summer they bump it up $0.50 - 1.00.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2012, 05:23 PM »
This price increase is the biggest ever. AP passes when up $50-$150. (they go up every 4-6 months) They are expected to keep going up until the number of AP passes reduces. The current resort infrastructure can't handle it.

Attendance is going up and its expected to be packed this summer with the re-dedication of Disney California Adventure. Parking is expected to be so bad this summer that cast members are going to have to be shuttled from Angels Stadium. A new parking structure is suppose to be built soon. I wouldn't be suprised to see a third theme park within the next ten years.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2012, 06:26 PM »
I wouldn't be suprised to see a third theme park within the next ten years.

With all the price increases, I wouldn't doubt it.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 5, 2012, 11:19 AM »
Some updates on the "state of things" at Tatooine Traders and the Disney Droid Factory:

1) They have changed it so you can only buy single packs for $11.95. The double pack for $18.95 option has been removed. The sign has been taken down and the 2-pack packaging is gone.

2) At this time they are down to ONLY green middle legs (no white, black, blue or red) and NO novelty hats at all (which since the launch has only been mouse ears) - they are totally sold out of those.

3) While after my visit they did seem to get in more R3 domes in Clear w/Red highlights, they are once again completely sold out of R3 clear domes.

While I expected there to be a scarcity of parts, I didn't expect things to be this bad....

Here's hoping that the parts situation is either resolved or Disney starts to think about offering box-sets of parts as alternative means of getting Droid Factory pieces. I know they are going for the "experience" but if the "experience" is tainted by an EXTREME lack of the person's favorite colors, what's the point?

Just my $0.02.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #190 on: June 9, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Just saw pics of the new Disney BAD cards on the otheR site.  They're pretty cool!  Really small, not much bigger than the bubble. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Just saw pics of the new Disney BAD cards on the otheR site.  They're pretty cool!  Really small, not much bigger than the bubble.

Yeah - I saw them too - kinda disappointed that they changed them up - but glad I have enough 2-packs to cover the eventual "complete" set of droids I'm hoping to have.

Here's hoping that this new vendor is working on a 2-pack as well - cause the 2-pack pricing was more in-line with where these things should be priced.
Peter

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2012, 05:18 PM »
Got sucked into this for a few minutes today - kinda related to the topic...

http://www.starwars.com/play/online-games/jawa-junkyard-droids/index.html

It's fun and kinda cute...
Peter

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2012, 07:51 PM »
The latest news out of Disney Studios is that the Build-a-Droid attraction will be shutting down tomorrow (27-June-2012) and it will not be re-opening until they get in more parts - presumably when the new R6, R8 & R9 domes come in along with replenishment of the novelty hats, the new novelty hats and more middle legs.
Peter

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2012, 07:40 AM »
And they broke it already. We knew the Mouse was in over his head on this one.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise