Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181895 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« on: March 28, 2012, 10:12 AM »
I think I should save my $ for that rumored astromech BAD display that Disney is going to run at SW Weekends.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:41 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:46 PM »
The rumored BAD thing at Disney sounds interesting to me too.  I'm going to ask someone if they can pick me up some of that while they're there since I'm not going once again.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:41 PM by Jeff »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Jedi Temple Archives News: BREAKING NEWS: Droid Factory Coming To Disney World

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=9766

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:55 PM »
That was on Rebelscum last month...in fact there is a picture over there...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 01:03 PM »
Curto even joked about that today, too.  Sounds more like it was "Broken News" than anything else.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 02:29 PM »
I'm still hoping that they'll offer a "bag-o-parts" or box set option of all the parts at some point. There is no way anyone is going to be able "collect" these if the parts are just dumped whole-sale into bins.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Whoa, Scott!  I remember Rebelscum posting it as a rumor - but I totally missed that picture!  Those look way awesome!!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 03:21 PM »
The picture is from Disney's "Attraction Magazine" Twitter account...  They just confirmed Scum's rumor today with the pic.

I'm really interested in a set of these...  I love droid repaints.  I don't care if they're from EU or the films even.  A purple R3 unit?  Sure.  I'm into stuff like this...  just hope I can get it somehow.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 05:04 PM »
An interesting thought too...  when the rumors came out of NYTF that Vintage would maybe go away, at least for the time being...  Am I the only one who's happy to see some kind of value-added item maybe being put back into the line? 

I like how vintage packaging looks too, don't get me wrong.  It's purdy and all.  But ultimately I've always said I don't buy toys for the packaging.  At today's prices I find anything $8.99 and up needing some kind of value beyond the figure.  30AC gave the coins, and who cares ultimately?  Neat in a full set, but worthless otherwise.

What was nice then was the packaging allowed, and Hasbro utlizied it, to make larger accessories...  Bar pieces, tables, etc.  That was cool.

The BAD line though I was skeptical on, but I really found that the figure was good incentive to A) buy a full wave, and B) buy extras too.  I'd buy a couple army builders and then wind up buying random extras or repacks to complete droids.  I wound up greatly missing BAD as soon as it was gone.  Missed it even more when prices went up even further.

I don't care if it's EU, movie canon, or made up...  I like droid repaints.  I like the unique ones even better, especially if they're from movies, but I'm ok with just a made up deco too.  Especially if it's creative and looks completely feasible as something you COULD have seen in the background of any scene.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Yar, the build a droid line had me buying figures I would have passed on otherwise just to build the droid - and I didn't care because I was happy to build the droid!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 06:04 PM »
I was goofy building them too...  I bought that red clone commander repack a couple times over, especially when he was on sale, just for his part which I can't even recall what it was.

I know that I have a lot of BAD figures though. :)

It helped too that, at that time, they were cranking out great army builders.  Lots of figures in any given wave you'd be ok with multiples of because they were so good.  That CW 2D wave was awesome.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:50 PM »
I'm still hoping that they'll offer a "bag-o-parts" or box set option of all the parts at some point. There is no way anyone is going to be able "collect" these if the parts are just dumped whole-sale into bins.

Package them with a Kenner "Droid Factory" style playset/base and it would be like printing money for Disney.  ;)

Glad to see the Rebelscum rumor pan out.  Like others have said, Droid Factory was a great promo and this idea seems to fit with the "build-a-saber" thing that Disney has had previously.  Love the little Mickey and Goofy add-on hats too. :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 01:03 AM »
I like it, pretty cool and fun.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 09:08 AM »

I hope they go the route of "stuff all the parts you can in a box for $X"

But I am betting they will go the the Lego Store route where you can build a figure comprising of one of each part at a set price.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 09:41 AM »
Interesting to say the least. Should be a winner.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."